SENATE BILL: Atlasian National Tax Reduction Act of 2012 (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 07:43:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Atlasian National Tax Reduction Act of 2012 (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Atlasian National Tax Reduction Act of 2012 (Failed)  (Read 6038 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« on: April 18, 2012, 02:29:45 PM »
« edited: April 18, 2012, 02:32:27 PM by Governor Napoleon »

Is there a balanced budget amendment in Atlasia?

Not to my knowledge and I would never support such a measure.

Why not?

There are times when short-term deficit spending is appropriate. I'm not going to support a measure which would cut programs solely to meet an arbitrary target.

In your opinion.

Speaking as someone who kept the balanced budget clause in the constitution I authored, don't you at least think that sometimes a government may need to spend more than it takes in? It doesn't have to be a habit, and shouldn't be. To use a real life example, someone might take out loans to pay for college, so that they can make more money in the future. Sometimes there are important necessities or simply good policies that shouldn't be overlooked because of unforeseen revenue shortfalls.

The saying "It takes money to make money" is the idea. Investing in things like education or infrastructure can create a better job climate or help businesses grow, but we might not have the money right away. Would it not be worth it, if you knew the economy would reap future benefits?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies