NE2: Northeast Region Distracted Drivers Act [Failed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:49:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: Northeast Region Distracted Drivers Act [Failed]
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE2: Northeast Region Distracted Drivers Act [Failed]  (Read 893 times)
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 16, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »
« edited: April 22, 2012, 09:46:59 PM by Cincinnatus »

The Assembly will now consider the legislation introduced by the Rep from RI.  Debate time will last 72 hours;

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 09:10:22 PM »

I am reintroducing this distracted drivers bill, modified, as I believe it is imperative the Northeast have a law in place to deal with this problem.

The restrictions and the penalties have been modified and I believe it should be acceptable to this Assembly, as well as being an effective bill at the same time, and will, in fact, result in saving lives.

I am asking for the support of this Assembly in enacting this legislation. 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »

I would like to see further debate on this matter, and I hope the legislature can find an acceptable compromise. I will be following this debate closely.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »

I will not support this bill in its present form.

As I explained in the previous thread, I do not support penalties for distracted driving unless it results in death, injury, or damage to property.

I think something like this would be an effective deterrent without draining law enforcement resources.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 09:53:21 PM »

No risk is worth endangering the lives of yourself and others.  And that is exactly what distracted driving does. 

If there are no penalties, no consequences, for distracted driving, or for anything else that endangers human lives, then those who engage in this dangerous practice, or other dangerous practices, will think there is nothing wrong with them endangering the lives of others.

For endangering lives, there need be consequences.

There is really no such thing as minimal risk when human lives are involved.   
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 09:58:04 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2012, 10:00:55 PM by food justice »

Everything endangers lives.  The act of driving a car in general endangers lives.  What's next, shall we ban cars with manual transmissions because the acts of monitoring the tachometer and operating the clutch pedal and shifter might conceivably distract the driver?  Perhaps cars shall come without cupholders, lest the driver be tempted to stow his drink.  For that matter, cars should only have one seat, so that the driver can't possibly be distracted by a conversation with any passenger.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »

Some members of this Assembly fail to grasp what distracted driving is all about or what it really means.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 06:38:10 PM »

No risk is worth endangering the lives of yourself and others.  And that is exactly what distracted driving does. 

Wormy has it right: Every decision that a person makes involves a calculated risk, including the decision to drive in the first place. The Northeast Assembly does not have the power to change this, nor should we try to.

Quote from: Restricted

With respect, this is nonsense. We do not live in a region of sociopaths. Nor do I believe that there should be no legal consequences for distracted driving when it does cause harm - but that is not what this legislation proposes.

There are already laws on the books covering drivers when they cause harm, injury, or death to others as a result of driving dangerously.

This distracted driving legislation addresses the issue of cutting down greatly on the possibilities of harm being done to others before it happens.   
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 06:40:06 PM »

But there's only one way to cut the possibility of harm being done to anyone 100%.

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 06:54:53 PM »

Debate time has expired.  The Assembly will now vote on the final text.  This vote will last 24 hours, or until all members have voted;

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 07:29:56 PM »

Nay.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 09:46:33 PM »

Voting time has expired.  Ayes are 0, Nays are 2, the bill fails.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies