Romney VP search begins (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:49:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney VP search begins (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney VP search begins  (Read 17745 times)
EmersonAdams
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -4.52

« on: April 16, 2012, 07:54:46 PM »

I doubt Romney will tap Jindal as his running mate. Jindal may be an exciting and fresh face in the Republican Party, but as his disastrous response to the 2009 State of the Union shows, he is not ready for the national stage. Biden is no slouch, and if Jindal isn't prepared he'll get torn apart at the debates.
I think Romney is going to play it safe and choose Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell. The Republicans desperately need a southerner to balance out the ticket (Romney is the first northerner in years to win the republican nomination), and McDonnell has a reliably conservative record and is a competent speaker. He may not be the charismatic figure the GOP is hoping for, but he is unlikely to tank the ticket a la Sarah Palin. Plus, he is the only one I've seen who actually wants the job.

Thune or Martinez are possibilities, but each one carries their own risks and neither are tested as national figures. Christie, Rubio, and Ryan would overshadow the ticket, and I don't think any of them want to risk their future ambitions on a failed run with Romney. Portman might be willing, but his ties to the Bush administration are too deep, and it will let Obama run against George Bush's policies instead of his own record. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies