Most Impressive statewide landslides (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:47:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Most Impressive statewide landslides (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most Impressive statewide landslides  (Read 8669 times)
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« on: April 27, 2012, 07:22:31 PM »
« edited: April 27, 2012, 07:27:33 PM by Charles Barton, Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario »

Democratic Governor Cecil Andrus won by a 2 to 1 margin, winning all but two counties. In Idaho.

His Republican opponent ran on a platform of Universal Health Care. In Idaho. In 1990.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 03:46:09 PM »

Here's another good one.

Bear in mind that in this election, Schaefer was not an incumbent seeking reelection-- it was an open seat, and the Democrats had held the Governorship since 1969. Schaefer carried every county in the state, including uber-Republican Garrett County, with over 60% of the vote, and received 82% of the vote statewide.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:49:06 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2012, 01:03:56 AM by Charles Barton, Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario »

I've always considered Tom Kean's 1985 landslide victory to be the one against which all other are measured. He won 71% to 24%, carrying virtually every town in New Jersey, including Newark, Camden, and Jersey City. His margin of victory was so large, in fact, that he swept in 4 Republican Assemblymen in heavily Democratic, heavily urban Hudson County (Jersey City, Union City, Hoboken).
Yeah Kean won 60% of the urban vote in that Election. It would be impossible for a Republican to win a state or a US House Seat in Hudson County nowadays. Kean's Governor's Race  in 1981 against Jim Florio was close though. I would like to see a map of the 1981 Race but thats not on this site.

Here, I made one myself using the data from this site.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies