Gun owners?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:56:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Gun owners?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Gun owners?  (Read 9019 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2012, 02:03:52 AM »

Any one here own a firearm? I recently bought a Ruger SP101 Double Action .357 and am taking it to the range tomorrow to get comfy with it...

I've always liked revolvers...simple and effective if God forbid it was ever needed for self defense

How about you?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 02:06:06 AM »

I don't own any myself, but my grandpa is an avid hunter; he keeps a room full of his rifles.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 02:06:37 AM »

Why on Earth would I want a gun?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:10:29 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2012, 02:16:32 AM by we don't need a cure for the weight of the world »

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 02:16:17 AM »

Self defense- in case of home invasion
That is why I have always owned a gun
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 02:17:42 AM »

Why would someone invade my apartment?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 02:22:25 AM »

Why would some one commit any crime? Maybe for money- maybe for violence or sex... who knows
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 02:29:30 AM »

Here's a little quiz:

1-Do you sell drugs?
2-Are you in any way involved in organized crime?
3-Are you involved in an abusive relationship?

If the answer to all three of those questions is "no", then your odds of being murdered are pretty close to nil.

It's kind of funny though because I live in a significantly more crime-filled neighborhood than most gun owners, who tend to be paranoid suburbanites, and I'm not scared.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 02:32:45 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2012, 02:34:35 AM by we don't need a cure for the weight of the world »

Here's a little quiz:

1-Do you sell drugs?

If the answer to all three of those questions is "no", then your odds of being murdered are pretty close to nil.

It's kind of funny though because I live in a significantly more crime-filled neighborhood than most gun owners, who tend to be paranoid suburbanites, and I'm not scared.

You can't take for granted one's need to feel safe though. I'm not a gun owner but if that's what someone needs to feel safe at home with their kids and belongings and what not then I can't tell them no, I can only tell them to be smart and act responsibly.

We're probably both on the same page on the gun issue though. I just don't like the idea of these Zimmerman types owning firearms.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 02:34:34 AM »

Here's a little quiz:

1-Do you sell drugs?

I could cite endless cases of murders whre those conditions are not met- hell just look at the Trayvon case as it seems the facts show none of those factors were met. I own a weapon and have since my wife was first pregnant because in the very small chance something did happen I want to keep myself and more importantly my family safe...

Now- I live alone which people notice. I am older which people notice... I would seem to be an easy target for a burglar or home invader. Therefore I want to protect myself still with a simple weapon. I hope to God I never have to put it to use
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 02:35:25 AM »

Thank you Napoleon- you summed up my views well... If some one doesn't own a gun that is none of my business. I didn't post this to start a debate but to see if any one does own a gun so we can compare notes
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 02:35:44 AM »

Here's a little quiz:

1-Do you sell drugs?

I could cite endless cases of murders whre those conditions are not met- hell just look at the Trayvon case as it seems the facts show none of those factors were met. I own a weapon and have since my wife was first pregnant because in the very small chance something did happen I want to keep myself and more importantly my family safe...

Now- I live alone which people notice. I am older which people notice... I would seem to be an easy target for a burglar or home invader. Therefore I want to protect myself still with a simple weapon. I hope to God I never have to put it to use

If Trayvon had a firearm, he'd still be dead or he'd be the one getting charged with murder. It's a chicken and egg thing, gun ownership and gun misuse can both be the culprit.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 02:37:22 AM »

My mention of Trayvon was to point out that the three conditions outlined- if answered no- does not keep one safe. Random acts of violence happen all the time
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 03:16:35 AM »

No, but if I had been obliged to join the army like my older brother, I would now be in possession of such an assault rifle (we actually have such a rifle at home but no ammunition):

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 03:43:41 AM »

Trayvon is a poor example, because both parties would likely be alive if George DIDN"T have a gun.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 03:54:39 AM »

No, don't have one and don't intend to get one.

We have a very low crime rate in my area, with a murder once in 20 years or something like that. Property crime is also very low. The friend of my sister though is a hunter and owns a few rifles. But I'm not into the killing of animals thing.

Besides I don't even know where to buy a firearm here, they are also quite expensive (1000€ or something like that) and you have to get 2 licenses before that and go to a psychologist to get clearance to buy a firearm. Besides you have to be 21 years of age (not a problem for me though).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 04:18:08 AM »

I don't own one, but will some day.  For fun mostly, a little for "what if sh**t breaks" down and I need to acquire water/food/fuel or protect my water/food/fuel/loved ones.  I don't really need to protect my stuff, having one of the sh**ttier houses in the neighborhood, with a big dog and my scary looking ass living there keeps me pretty safe from that.  Why rob the dirt ball's house when you have a little old lady with a big screen TV you can see from the street next door.

I want a Colt 1911 (in a .45 cal of course) and a semi-auto combat shotgun (I want a Benelli M4), but will probably settle for a P series Ruger of some flavor and a pump shot gun.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 04:19:37 AM »

Thank you Napoleon- you summed up my views well... If some one doesn't own a gun that is none of my business. I didn't post this to start a debate but to see if any one does own a gun so we can compare notes
I don't know why normally good posters thread sh**t, but you should probably expect it in a gun thread.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 04:28:35 AM »

dead0man- I am not sure if I remember right but were you in the service?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 05:56:16 AM »

At the age of 14? No, of course not. But both my parents do, and both grandfathers did before their deaths, so I'll probably get one eventually, during my mid-20s or so.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 06:47:30 AM »

dead0man- I am not sure if I remember right but were you in the service?
Sort of, I was in the Air Force Wink

..and I'm still a contractor for them...well, for StratCom which isn't really an Air Force entity, it just has a lot of Airman working in it and is on an AFB.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 06:50:54 AM »

The Chair Force counts ;-)

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 06:59:39 AM »

What about the Hair Force? I remember you didn't recognize them as servicemen.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 07:01:21 AM »

I'm not a paranoid American: I don't need a gun.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 07:04:46 AM »

I don't know, the hardest part of basic was the home sickness and getting my underwear folded properly.  I hear they've changed since I went through (Jan 95), my "class"(Flight) was the last group to do our runs and exercises in formation, in our BDUs.  All the Flights that came in the next week and after got athletic gear and had to do a lot more work.  Not that running in formation was easy, everybody had to go the same speed, which worked out to everybody went the speed of the slowest guy...which was difficult for those of us with long legs.  In the years since they've added a couple of extra weeks and made it more "warrior" orientated.  Which is probably a good thing.

and on preview I see we have more thread sh**tters.  Always classy!  Are you going to go into the Star Trek thread and say something assholish about Trekkies next?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies