Is post-rock an inherentely "Christian" genre?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:41:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Is post-rock an inherentely "Christian" genre?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is post-rock an inherentely "Christian" genre?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Is post-rock an inherentely "Christian" genre?  (Read 3707 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2012, 10:24:54 PM »

As discussed on another forum. Facts:

-It is quite popular amongst Christians especially in comparison to say, black metal or powerviolence.
-Evangelicals like to use it as soundtracks for videos they produce (and often violating copyright in the process)
-Church musicians tend to like it (evidenced by some of Hillsong's stuff.)
-People do a lot of hand-raising and swaying at post-rock shows.

So in a weird way yes, though I wouldn't be surprised at all if Explosions in the Sky are not Christians.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 10:44:33 PM »

No. Just because some Christians happen to like some style of music it does not make that music inherently Christian... especially if the music itself has nothing to do with Christianity.

That is not an inherently Christian behavior. I mean for crying out loud, the pot-smoking free-love hippies did that in the sixties, and I would hardly think they invented it either.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:46:50 PM »

That is not an inherently Christian behavior. I mean for crying out loud, the pot-smoking free-love hippies did that in the sixties, and I would hardly think they invented it either.

Pot smokers tend to love post-rock too. When I saw Explosions in the Sky I could smell someone smoking weed on the actual floor of the venue. It was so crowded that they knew security couldn't catch them, which was the case since I never saw anyone get thrown out.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:52:48 PM »

Goddammit, no.

The most popular genre for Christians outside of like country is Post-Hardcore. Bands like The Devil Wears Prada, Attack Attack!, Underoath, Norma Jean, Mychildren Mybride, Blessthefall, Flyleaf, Thrice, Texas In July, Red, etc. are the poster children.

All really good bands, btw.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 12:19:57 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2012, 12:22:57 AM by blood red X's for every 24 hours ive suffered through »

Goddammit, no.

The most popular genre for Christians outside of like country is Post-Hardcore. Bands like The Devil Wears Prada, Attack Attack!, Underoath, Norma Jean, Mychildren Mybride, Blessthefall, Flyleaf, Thrice, Texas In July, Red, etc. are the poster children.

All really good bands, btw.

The only bands of those that are post-hardcore are Underoath (and they started out playing death metal) and Thrice, and Thrice is not Christian (though some of the members are). Most of those are just like fifth wave metalcore.

BTW it's pretty funny that Norma Jean is basically just a direct Botch ripoff, because Botch were heavily anti-Christian (and of course were a FAR better band).
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 12:25:37 AM »

Botch is a good band.

Post-Hardcore has drifted from punk and has subsequently become synonymous with metal.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »

Botch is a good band.

Post-Hardcore has drifted from punk and has subsequently become synonymous with metal.

No post-hardcore has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with metal. Thursday or Brand New do not sound like metal.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 12:32:47 AM »

No kidding. But the metal kids are calling themselves "hardcore" because they don't understand what hardcore is.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 06:11:49 AM »

Post-hardcore has a similiar fanbase to metal these days though is the point.
doktorb
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »

Pot smokers tend to love post-rock too. When I saw Explosions in the Sky I could smell someone smoking weed on the actual floor of the venue. It was so crowded that they knew security couldn't catch them, which was the case since I never saw anyone get thrown out.

It's more notable here to go to a post-rock/mathsrock gig and NOT smell weed
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 12:32:48 PM »

Not if you're talking about real metalheads, I've never heard of a post-hardcore band touring on a black/death metal tour for example.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 04:28:13 AM »

Not if you're talking about real metalheads, I've never heard of a post-hardcore band touring on a black/death metal tour for example.

I would add that being a headbanger is very much a psychological phenomenon. While death and black metal are by no means the end-all-be-all of the genre, they display an ethos that appeals to the typical fan of the genre in a very basic sense. Saying that post-hardcore has a similar fanbase to metal would have to imply that fans of post-hardcore would be attracted to the deliberately offensive usage of violent and Satanic imagery associated with the metal genre. I sort of doubt that, though it's not like I know about post-hardcore.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 07:05:18 AM »

I'm pretty sure that post is the meaning of life.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 12:32:54 PM »

I would add that being a headbanger is very much a psychological phenomenon. While death and black metal are by no means the end-all-be-all of the genre, they display an ethos that appeals to the typical fan of the genre in a very basic sense. Saying that post-hardcore has a similar fanbase to metal would have to imply that fans of post-hardcore would be attracted to the deliberately offensive usage of violent and Satanic imagery associated with the metal genre. I sort of doubt that, though it's not like I know about post-hardcore.

Yes, very far from the case in regards to post-hardcore.

Reminds me of this video, which I bet Jake Matthews would like (very funny actually): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT2TnwpsMa8
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »

It's definitely spiritual and contemplative, and also probably has the most diverse fanbase out of any musical genre. I mean, have you ever met anyone who actually dislikes it?

El Ten Eleven is the only post-rock band I've seen live (at Chicago's Wicker Park Fest, so it was pretty awesome). The scene was basically similar to a dubstep/electrohouse show (maybe because they were preceding a dubstep producer): people dressed in rave gear, mdma flowing from everyone's mouths, the ubiquitous weed smell, etc.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 01:45:52 AM »

My biggest problem with it is you can't really have fun getting drunk to it live. I only had one drink at Explosions in the Sky. Now on the other hand if you smuggle in some weed...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies