Obama maintains/expands War on Drugs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:08:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama maintains/expands War on Drugs
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama maintains/expands War on Drugs  (Read 1344 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2012, 01:36:58 AM »

Where is your God now?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 01:51:03 AM »

Well let's look at the checklist:

-More workplace drug testing: Inherently I don't see this as a problem since I can understand why most businesses wouldn't want to be employing a meth addict. The problem with such testing is it acts like anyone who had a joint in the last 30 days is equivalent to a meth addict, if most employers just ignored testing positive for marijuana (as many actually do), it'd be a reasonable policy.

-"Zero tolerance" laws: Yeah actually read the article, it's about drugged driving.

-Prescription only status for pseudoephedrine/ephedrine products: I don't agree with this, but I'll note that most over the counter cough medicine already doesn't included these ingredients anymore, and truthfully while I think these type of laws are stupid making it prescription only is more logical than things like that grandmother in Indiana who was fined for buying a ton of cough syrup when many of her grandkids all caught a cold despite the fact there was no warning that she was going over the legal limit.

-Those stupid TV ads: Yes, this is stupid, and indefensible. Someone on another forum once made a valid point by asking how many people could be made clean if the money for them was diverted to rehab programs instead.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 02:00:41 AM »

..and that's just what he is ADDING to the War on Drugs.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 02:13:02 AM »

But he put an end to the raids on medical marijuana dispensaries.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 02:20:02 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2012, 02:21:42 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

False. This one wasn't even a dispensary any more. That was a pretty blatant lie by Obama.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/04/former-oakland-medical-pot-dispensary-raided-by-federal-agents.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lanowblog+%28L.A.+Now%29
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 02:56:05 AM »

Last I heard, he was doing more raids per day than W did...I'm 'bout to go out and smoke (tobacco), but I'll look for a cite when I get back.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 03:08:45 AM »

From Rolling Stone
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 03:11:26 AM »

That's really the part that bothers me the most. You want to expand stupid drug policies, okay, sure, but at least consistently say that's what you're going to do. Obama constantly talks about how we need to have more "serious discussions" on drug policy, yet we never do.

And as someone who has often relied on pseudoephedrine as a decongestant in the past, I find that particularly stupid, but whatever. All of this is going to come to a head eventually. These drug policies cannot seriously last much longer, in the grand scheme of things. Right? ..right?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 03:22:04 AM »

I don't understand why Obama keeps running to the center.  I know that's the MO of most politicians with an election looming, but sheesh, enough is enough.  I want to like Obama, I really do.  He seems like a sensible man 75% of the time, but then he does crap like this.  Maybe we'll get the real Obama after the election, but I won't be holding my breath....or even contemplate voting for him like I did in '08.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 03:28:11 AM »

Yet another issue where there's no one to blame but Barack Obama. Funny how all of his flip flops have been to the right. Too bad his opponent is so terrible and actually makes him look like a honest straight-shooter. The election is between two candidates who are liars who have flip flopped to the right.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 03:29:31 AM »

I really doubt that Obama personally endorses those policies they are written by ONDCP not Obama. I think he just can't challenge them publicly or privately. Also I'd like to apologize for Gil Kerlowiske, not sure how such an anti-weed man could have been head of Seattle PD.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 03:33:38 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2012, 03:37:07 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

I really doubt that Obama personally endorses those policies they are written by ONDCP not Obama. I think he just can't challenge them publicly or privately. Also I'd like to apologize for Gil Kerlowiske, not sure how such an anti-weed man could have been head of Seattle PD.

This is a pretty obvious flip flop by the Obama administration. He nominated Bush administration hardliner Michele Leonhart to head the DEA. She says the more kids who die in the drug war, the better it's going. Change was just a lying slogan to get us to vote for a right-winger.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 04:22:45 AM »

From the latest issue of The Economist, p. 44-46

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 04:23:00 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2012, 04:28:47 AM by seatown »

This is a pretty obvious flip flop by the Obama administration. He nominated Bush administration hardliner Michele Leonhart to head the DEA. She says the more kids who die in the drug war, the better it's going. Change was just a lying slogan to get us to vote for a right-winger.
Well change is a lulzy slogan now that we had Obama administration for over 3 years. But you have to realize that he doesn't have full control over the DEA. Of course there is a lot he should be criticized for but this, in this thread in my opinion is just reflexive shouting. You have to realize that if the press found out about Obama meddling with DEA strategy behind the scenes to make it less "war-like" it would have the same political fallout as him favoring legalization of marijuana. I think we will know real positions of Obama(not just about War on drugs) after 2014 midterms when Democrats should pick enough low hanging fruits to hopefully be able to pass something, and Obama can sign executive orders without worrying about political fallout. There is also possibility that he actually changed his mind, or that DNC received enough money from lobbyists that we won't see the real president until he is out office. I know this sounds like I am defending Obama, I just think a lot of this criticism is pointless, but if I could vote I'd vote for Rocky.
If Obama doesn't change his position, we need some Paul-like candidate that would turnout the youngs and hopefully hijack the democratic party with real left-wing with the entire party going paultarded if the party doesn't move back to the left over the next four years(as it should, I hope they understand the demographic trends as well as you and I do). If we get Cuomo elected than we are really f[inks]ed until 2024 (2020), and by that point new trends may be in play.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 08:57:37 AM »

Well somebody has been inconveniencing me by shutting down dispensaries all over the place. It is very annoying.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 09:05:07 AM »

gotta love/hate liberals contriving defenses on things like this!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies