More evidence of why the GOP is a joke in California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:44:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  More evidence of why the GOP is a joke in California
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: More evidence of why the GOP is a joke in California  (Read 1141 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2014, 06:47:44 PM »

California gubernatorial hopeful Tim Donnelly is getting an earful from the wealthy, ubiquitous and often histrionic Darrell Issa. Donnelly is apparently taking a "bate the rubes" strategy in attacking his Republican opponent in California's upcoming jungle primary, former Bush administration official Neel Kashkari, by linking Kashkari (who is a Hindu of Indian ancestry) to Islamic Sharia law.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Congressman Issa (who may be a secret Muslim himself, I mean who really knows these days?) was having none of it.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 07:39:31 PM »

Good for Issa.

With this publicity and the endorsements from Romney and Wilson, I wouldn't be surprised if Kashkari leads the Republicans in the next poll.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 07:42:24 PM »

Good for Issa.

With this publicity and the endorsements from Romney and Wilson, I wouldn't be surprised if Kashkari leads the Republicans in the next poll.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 08:43:34 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2014, 08:52:58 PM by Joshua »

Good for Issa.

The only issue is I don't think Kashkari has money to run ads and get his name out there. Usually the local news channels are inundated with ads this time in the cycle (especially here in Orange County, where Republicans try to ramp up turnout), and with no senate race, a sleepy governor's race, and an expected down-ballot blowout, there hasn't been much of anything.

I think CA Republican voters are going to see Tim Donnelly's name on the ballot with the title "CA State Assemblyman" and vote for him, assuming he is the more credible (ultra-misinformed voters might think of him as the "establishment") candidate. I think on the ballot it lists Kashkari as a businessman. Remember, this is CA, no one has likely picked up on Darrell Issa's comments, Donnelly craziness, and they won't until the general election ramps up, and by that time the primary will be long past.

I have to look over my primary voter info guide that came with my mail-in ballot, but I don't think Kashkari even had a statement in the gov candidates section. Naturally, Tim Donnelly's began with "I am a patriot, not a politician."

[Edit]: I just read all the way through Donnelly's statement, it's crazy. I have to amend what I said. CA Republicans are probably smart enough to not vote for him in the open primary, provided they read the info.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »

I have to look over my primary voter info guide that came with my mail-in ballot, but I don't think Kashkari even had a statement in the gov candidates section. Naturally, Tim Donnelly's began with "I am a patriot, not a politician."

You have to agree to campaign finance limits in order to make a statement.

For governor, the limit is $8.1 million.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 08:47:25 PM »

I was planning on voting for Donnelly until I heard about this, but I cannot encourage such a flimsy and baseless attack. Kashkari is out of the question for his TARP involvement and Obama support, so for now I guess I will cast a protest vote for withdrawn candidate Andrew Blount. In any event, I'm more interested in local races anyway.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 09:04:52 PM »

Issa just doesn't want Donnelly dragging down the rest of the ballot, Republicans want to pick up seats (CA-7, CA-36) in the midterm and Donnelly would be a major drag down ballot.

California has an extremely conservative Republican electorate, and they will turnout for Donnelly. He has the name ID and the following to pull it off, and with turnout bound to be low, he will not have any problem getting into the top two.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 07:28:43 AM »

Except that Donnelly will get punked by Moonbeam in November: 61-36.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 09:35:19 PM »

Good for Issa.

The only issue is I don't think Kashkari has money to run ads and get his name out there.

Even if he did/does (not sure of their finances), it wouldn't matter. The Republican primary voters of California might as well be an extension of the Deep South; they're positively bonkers and of course are going to vote for a Real American™ with a good, Christian name.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 11:13:19 AM »

I see Donnelly winning tonight, but the California GOP is a joke right now unless they run Fiorina, Whitman, or even Devin Nunes in 2018 and the future.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 11:33:04 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies