Provincial by-elections in BC tomorrow! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:08:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Provincial by-elections in BC tomorrow! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Provincial by-elections in BC tomorrow!  (Read 4301 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« on: April 19, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »

Where is the updated data?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:15:33 PM »

Yea sorry for not being clear. So I am guessing that means Dippers will be in control of BC come next election?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:36:32 PM »

Yea sorry for not being clear. So I am guessing that means Dippers will be in control of BC come next election?

Not necessarily. They need a divided right, and people will see the third place finish for the Conservatives and think "maybe I shouldn't waste my vote on them".

But, as I kept saying Chilliwack-Hope is more friendly to the BC Liberals than most ridings, LOOK AT THE HST VOTE.
Is BC gerrymandered favorably liberals right now, meaning that Dippers would need to get 50% or even more to win? But even hypothetically if the right is not divided how does NDP win Nationally if they can't even win BC?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 11:51:37 PM »

Not necessarily. They need a divided right, and people will see the third place finish for the Conservatives and think "maybe I shouldn't waste my vote on them".

But, as I kept saying Chilliwack-Hope is more friendly to the BC Liberals than most ridings, LOOK AT THE HST VOTE.
Is BC gerrymandered favorably liberals right now, meaning that Dippers would need to get 50% or even more to win? But even hypothetically if the right is not divided how does NDP win Nationally if they can't even win BC?

It's not that. There's just a slight majority of the BC population that will never vote NDP. The NDP can't get more than 50% of the vote, meaning they can't win in a 2 horse race. However, if the general election were held tonight, well...you'd be looking at an NDP landslide.
Why? It seems to me that Liberal's have pissed off every swing able group, and most voters forgot the ferry fiasco.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 12:08:36 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2012, 12:10:34 AM by seatown »

All the polls in from Port Moody-Coquitlam
Joe Trasolini    BC NDP    6,070    54.36% (+14.56)
Dennis Marsden    BC Liberal Party    3,377    30.24% (-21.91)
Christine N. Clarke    BC Conservative Party    1,720    15.40% (+15.40)

It's not that. There's just a slight majority of the BC population that will never vote NDP. The NDP can't get more than 50% of the vote, meaning they can't win in a 2 horse race. However, if the general election were held tonight, well...you'd be looking at an NDP landslide.
Why? It seems to me that Liberal's have pissed off every swing able group, and most voters forgot the ferry fiasco.

That's BC for you. The entire political history of the province has been about parties coming together to keep the NDP from power.

Well isn't that National history too. CCF should have rightfully won the election post ww2(as it happened in other anglophone countries where labor movements won). It seems to me that Canadian voters will finally put NDP in power as aversion to right-wingers(rather than approval of NDP policies), and Muclair's moderate hero statements help too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies