Opinion of William McKinley (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:12:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of William McKinley (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Opinion of William McKinley  (Read 1081 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: April 20, 2012, 08:36:45 AM »
« edited: April 20, 2012, 08:40:00 AM by MechaRepublican »

Meh, lean HP.
I really want to like McKinley, but some of the stuff that happened under his administration (namely the war in the Philippines and to a lesser extent the return to protectionist mode) just makes it hard for me to vote even "neutral".

Though it's really really very cute that a lot of leftists tend to ignore McKinley's progressive sympathies just because "OMG HE HAD THE GREAT (insert "not so progressive actually") ONE AS VP!"  I mean really, anybody who has read CathCon's paper or searched in places outside of wikipedia know that McKinley wasn't some uber reactionary.  And now apparently (according to my good friend here), Teddy Roosevelt was a bigger defender of the evil Gold Standard than Willy McKinley was.

Sounds like to me that some people here need to read a few books or something besides what was said in 10th grade American History by some 63 year old man who gave half a sh*t about the class and had them watching Forrest Gump half the time because it was "historical".

But it's not like you can blame them, after all it makes a much better story to have a guy from a rich Dutch family in New York who killed elephants and sh*t and got shot AT LEAST 900 TIMES to be a "progressive hero" than say some guy who was from Ohio who had been in politics for years and had the wide respect of his party and was close friends with Robert M. La Follette.

And that my friends, is how historians write History books.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies