Republican "nub" in western Tennessee (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:09:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Republican "nub" in western Tennessee (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republican "nub" in western Tennessee  (Read 5607 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: April 18, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »

Also, why did the heavily pro-Union, Republican tradition in eastern Tennessee never spill over into western North Carolina?

The Tennessee Valley is the only thing I can think of that caused it. You have the Appalachians (pretty rough terrain even today) that does a pretty good job of separating North Carolina from Tennessee and the Cumberland Plateau that rises up and separates the rest of Tennessee from the Valley. I've always been fascinating by the little pockets like these in the South; I never noticed the "nub" as referenced in the OP, but it appears to be even more ardently Republican than my area in the TV.

My dad's side of the family is from Hardin County and I'm very proud of this area's Republican tradition Smiley

You will note that these counties (Hardin, Wayne, Henderson, as well as Carroll and Weakley) voted against treason just like East TN:

Awesome! My county was "divided". Would've been cooler if they'd got in line with the surrounding counties that were against secession. It's interesting how there's a trail "Against succession" that follows closely with the Tennessee River. That might be one of the original components to why the area in West TN is the way it is.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies