when will the secular apocalypse occur? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:43:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  when will the secular apocalypse occur? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: when will the secular apocalypse occur?  (Read 4517 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: April 19, 2012, 04:13:57 PM »

There are two main incidents of note that I am currently following.

First. The Fukushima Dai'ichi nuclear disaster. There is still a large spent fuel pool on the top of the building of reactor 4. Another earthquake or tsunami in the area could tip the pool, releasing a large amount of radiation in the atmosphere. If it is large enough, it could spread across the Pacific and end life in North America. Additionally, all three molten cores are unaccounted for. Re-criticality could lead to a new nuclear explosion that releases massive amounts of radiation into the atmosphere. If it is large enough, it could end life in North America.

Second. The H1N1 flu virus, otherwise known as the "bird flu". There is no known cure, and the death rate is some 60%-70%, higher than that of the bubonic plague. Unlike other contagious influenza, the H1N1 "bird flu" kills middle-aged, strong healthy men just as often as children or the old. If spread around the world, 2-3 billion people could be wiped out. The reason it has not spread is that no one has been able to figure out how to create a human-contagious version that jumps from human to human. However, recently, a scientific team solved this and a paper is forthcoming later this year that will explain how to create such a virus.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:28:07 PM »

First. The Fukushima Dai'ichi nuclear disaster. There is still a large spent fuel pool on the top of the building of reactor 4. Another earthquake or tsunami in the area could tip the pool, releasing a large amount of radiation in the atmosphere. If it is large enough, it could spread across the Pacific and end life in North America. Additionally, all three molten cores are unaccounted for. Re-criticality could lead to a new nuclear explosion that releases massive amounts of radiation into the atmosphere. If it is large enough, it could end life in North America.

Are you pulling your worries out of thin air or do you have an actual source for your concerns?

By the way, there were no nuclear explosions at Fukushima Dai'ichi.  The explosions were caused by the buildup of hydrogen.

While further problems at Fukushima Dai'ichi would be bad, "it could end life in North America" is ridiculous scare mongering worthy of a troll and not your usual level of discourse.

I'm pretty sure Beet is mocking the fear-mongers of both events there.

My source is this comment by the user Horace Boothroyd III on the website Daily Kos. Actually, they posit world wide holocaust as the real danger, so by reducing it down to only North American holocaust, I was decidedly conservative and minimizing. Before you dismiss it as just a single comment from someone on the Internet, 83 people "recommended" this comment, and no one argued with it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 12:20:54 PM »

I looked carefully, but I found nothing in either the comment you linked to, or in the post it commented on that talked about ending all life in North America, let alone the world.

What does the phrase "world wide holocaust" mean to you? Why don't you give me credit for reducing "world wide" to "North America", hence minimizing and reducing the danger the comment asserted? That makes me more complacent than 83 people. If it was fear mongering, why would I have done that?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies