when will the secular apocalypse occur? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:14:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  when will the secular apocalypse occur? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: when will the secular apocalypse occur?  (Read 4530 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 19, 2012, 06:29:27 PM »

First. The Fukushima Dai'ichi nuclear disaster. There is still a large spent fuel pool on the top of the building of reactor 4. Another earthquake or tsunami in the area could tip the pool, releasing a large amount of radiation in the atmosphere. If it is large enough, it could spread across the Pacific and end life in North America. Additionally, all three molten cores are unaccounted for. Re-criticality could lead to a new nuclear explosion that releases massive amounts of radiation into the atmosphere. If it is large enough, it could end life in North America.

Are you pulling your worries out of thin air or do you have an actual source for your concerns?

By the way, there were no nuclear explosions at Fukushima Dai'ichi.  The explosions were caused by the buildup of hydrogen.

While further problems at Fukushima Dai'ichi would be bad, "it could end life in North America" is ridiculous scare mongering worthy of a troll and not your usual level of discourse.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 01:00:08 AM »

I looked carefully, but I found nothing in either the comment you linked to, or in the post it commented on that talked about ending all life in North America, let alone the world.

I won't dispute that the potential for more problems exists if further damage occurs exists, but really, your post was pure fearmongering.  Fukushima Dai'ichi survived the earthquake and the tsunami itself relatively intact.  But the support generators were knocked out by the tsunami and that led to the problems.  But its been over a year since then.  There never was a nuclear explosion and the likelihood of additional hydrogen explosions in the event of is practically nil.  Not only are the fuel elements significantly cooler now (both thermally and radioactively) but the buildings are well ventilated from the previous damage, so the hydrogen has a chance to disperse now before reaching the point of being explosive.

Another serious earthquake has the potential of resetting things a bit and releasing more radioactivity, but not enough to end life as we know it.  It still won't bring the loss of life from radiation up to the level done by the earthquake and tsunami itself.

I'm not surprised that the echo chamber of Daily Kos has practically no room for a sober assessment of nuclear power.

As for the economic viability of nuclear power (mentioned in some of the comments over there), that has suffered a setback, but not because of Fukushima Dai'ichi.  If the reactor designs that are being built now had been at Fukushima Dai'ichi, there would have been no disaster.  The economic problems that afflict nuclear power right now are because of shale gas and the inability to pass any sort of restriction on greenhouse gases.   The cost of nuclear power is much the same as it was before the tsunami hit Japan.  The cost of electricity generated by natural gas has gotten whole lot cheaper the past few years.  Southern Company and SCANA have pushed for their new reactors under the assumption that generating electricity from fossil fuels was likely to get significantly more expensive during the lifetime of those plants.  If we get serious about cutting CO₂ emissions, their gamble will pay off.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 01:29:23 PM »

I looked carefully, but I found nothing in either the comment you linked to, or in the post it commented on that talked about ending all life in North America, let alone the world.

What does the phrase "world wide holocaust" mean to you? Why don't you give me credit for reducing "world wide" to "North America", hence minimizing and reducing the danger the comment asserted? That makes me more complacent than 83 people. If it was fear mongering, why would I have done that?

Well first off, while "holocaust" is a fearmongering word, it isn't as fearmongering as "ending all life".  Second, as I pointed out already, Daily Kos is an echo chamber.  It is not a credible source for scientific analysis of risk.  While not exclusively populated by them, it does have more than its fair share idealistic idiots who imagine that we can return to a pastoral paradise that never was.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 02:42:13 PM »

Secular Apocalypse 1 Billion yrs and counting===== Sun begins to lose heat and begin turning into a black hole and from its gravitational pull suck all the planets in and thus everything turns to dust and there will be no sign of life ever existed on this planet.

the sun is not massive enough to turn into a black hole

True.  Instead, Terra will be swallowed up by Sol when it enters the red giant phase of its stellar lifetime.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies