MA: Establishment of the Mideast Food Safety and Inspection Service (Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:20:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Establishment of the Mideast Food Safety and Inspection Service (Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Establishment of the Mideast Food Safety and Inspection Service (Final Vote)  (Read 2345 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2012, 03:32:31 PM »
« edited: May 22, 2012, 12:36:03 PM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: ZuWo
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:02:31 AM »

This bill is based on an example from Florida, but similar agencies exist in other US states as well.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/fs/index.html

While all members of this body probably prefer small-government to big-government solutions, I believe that the establishment of a "Food Safety and Inspection Service" agency can be considered reasonable and justifiable. Indeed, the aim of the agency is to guarantee safe food supply for Mideast citizens, which I think is of prime importance in a civilized society.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »

Your input is appreciated, fellow Assemblymembers. Wink
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 01:51:57 PM »

We should get this passed. Big agriculture needs to be watched. There are way too many hazards, especially in meat, for us not to look at. The government must have an efficient program dealing with companies who put the public at regular risk for cutting health corners and safety standards to better compete with other large companies.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 02:56:20 PM »

We also need to find a way to protect the family farm who wants to use non-gmo seeds and other encroachments from the federal government? I would also consider resting the land at times to replenish itself thus extending the benefit of our farmlands.

Where do we plan to find the revenue to fund such an endeavor to promote food safety?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 05:50:41 PM »

are there any limits here on the MFSIS's regulatory power?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 01:48:13 PM »

I'm on board.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 02:21:03 PM »

JCL: Do you have an idea how to formulate the ideas you have?
And regarding your question about the revenue - that's a good question. We don't have an official budget at the moment, which renders all these financial questions extremely abstract. But to answer this question, I suppose the money for such an agency would come from the Department of Agriculture and which should ideally be saved elsewhere within the Department.

shua: You raise an important question. It was my initial idea that, since the agency is part of the Department of Agriculture, it would be the task of said Department to control the agency. But it might be advisable to include certain provisions in the bill which specify what the limitations of the agency are. Do you have any suggestion?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 03:34:13 PM »

And regarding your question about the revenue - that's a good question. We don't have an official budget at the moment, which renders all these financial questions extremely abstract. But to answer this question, I suppose the money for such an agency would come from the Department of Agriculture and which should ideally be saved elsewhere within the Department.

shua: You raise an important question. It was my initial idea that, since the agency is part of the Department of Agriculture, it would be the task of said Department to control the agency. But it might be advisable to include certain provisions in the bill which specify what the limitations of the agency are. Do you have any suggestion?

Perhaps once the budget is passed, we go through each department and set up what they are specifically in charge of, many even put the dollar signs next to each item. I am hesitant on doing this before the budget is passed, because that's basically done from when I wrote and revised it, it just still hasn't become law because I don't believe the full GM report was completed (under Yelnoc?)? So if we go through line items for each department before that time, we're never going to get a budget passed.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 12:29:33 AM »

shua: You raise an important question. It was my initial idea that, since the agency is part of the Department of Agriculture, it would be the task of said Department to control the agency. But it might be advisable to include certain provisions in the bill which specify what the limitations of the agency are. Do you have any suggestions?

Is it the role of government to promote a certain farming method over others? I'm not so sure. Maybe a concurrent act freeing farmers to use whatever kind of seeds they so choose would suffice and let the market decide what is most profitable.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 12:43:55 AM »

I'm just afraid we're going to end up with farmers, grocers, restaurants, bake sales and lemonade stands, etc. being immobilized by red tape, or arbitrary or changing standards. It could hurt small businesses especially hard because they don't have the resources to put into compliance or make appeals.  I'm just reading this as a carte blanche handing over of the legislative power, and not focused on a particular problem.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 07:36:38 PM »

I'm just afraid we're going to end up with farmers, grocers, restaurants, bake sales and lemonade stands, etc. being immobilized by red tape, or arbitrary or changing standards. It could hurt small businesses especially hard because they don't have the resources to put into compliance or make appeals.  I'm just reading this as a carte blanche handing over of the legislative power, and not focused on a particular problem.

Your concerns are valid and I happen to agree with them.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 08:06:20 PM »

Your concerns are valid and I happen to agree with them.

I can very well hurt small business, but at the same time large meatpacking plants shouldn't be in the disgusting standard they're in now. Read The Jungle then Fast Food Nation, or at least Fast Food Nation. How do we balance small business and ranchers and farmers with making sure the public is not exposed to potential epidemics and grave hazards in every day life through all types of food?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 04:39:52 AM »

Would it help if we limited food inspections to, for example, maximally two times a year in the same food establishment?
We could also define the procedure of an appeal: If the owner of a food establishment is not content with the findings of the food inspectors, he/she may appeal to an independent court, and the owner of that particular food establishment only has to bear the costs of the appeal if the court agrees with the findings of the food inspectors.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 01:32:05 PM »

Is there any further debate on this?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 03:26:54 PM »

Yes, I'd like some input on my last post, which will possibly result in an amendment to improve the points shua mentioned.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 04:47:03 AM »

I'd like to introduce the following amendment:

Establishment of the Mideast Food Safety and Inspection Service

1. a) The Mideast Food Safety and Inspection Service is hereby established.

1. b) The Mideast Food Safety and Inspection Service is a division of the Mideast Department of Agriculture.

2. a) The Mideast Food Safety and Inspection Service is responsible for assuring the public of a safe and wholesome food supply.

2. b) In order to enforce the purpose of subsection 2. a), the division has the following competences:

- the inspection of food establishments
- the inspection of food products
- the performance of specialized laboratory analyses of food products sold or produced in the Mideast.

2. c) Food inspectors shall not inspect the same food establishment more than twice a year. If food inspectors impose sanctions on a food establishment, the owner of the food establishment in question has the right to appeal to the regional industrial court at first instance. The owner of the food establishment in question shall only bear the costs of the case if the decision of the food inspectors is upheld.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 12:42:10 AM »

It's your bill.  If you just want it substituted, just let me know.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 04:56:13 AM »

It's your bill.  If you just want it substituted, just let me know.

Yes, go ahead. Incorporate the additional text into the bill. Thanks!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 05:36:47 PM »

Any further debate?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 12:35:47 PM »

The bill, in it's following form, is now brought to a final vote.  Memebers will vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.  This will be a 48-hour vote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 12:38:26 PM »

Aye
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 02:07:44 PM »