MA: Establishment of the Mideast Food Safety and Inspection Service (Final Vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:50:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Establishment of the Mideast Food Safety and Inspection Service (Final Vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Establishment of the Mideast Food Safety and Inspection Service (Final Vote)  (Read 2378 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 29, 2012, 01:51:57 PM »

We should get this passed. Big agriculture needs to be watched. There are way too many hazards, especially in meat, for us not to look at. The government must have an efficient program dealing with companies who put the public at regular risk for cutting health corners and safety standards to better compete with other large companies.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 03:34:13 PM »

JCL: Do you have an idea how to formulate the ideas you have?
And regarding your question about the revenue - that's a good question. We don't have an official budget at the moment, which renders all these financial questions extremely abstract. But to answer this question, I suppose the money for such an agency would come from the Department of Agriculture and which should ideally be saved elsewhere within the Department.

shua: You raise an important question. It was my initial idea that, since the agency is part of the Department of Agriculture, it would be the task of said Department to control the agency. But it might be advisable to include certain provisions in the bill which specify what the limitations of the agency are. Do you have any suggestion?

Perhaps once the budget is passed, we go through each department and set up what they are specifically in charge of, many even put the dollar signs next to each item. I am hesitant on doing this before the budget is passed, because that's basically done from when I wrote and revised it, it just still hasn't become law because I don't believe the full GM report was completed (under Yelnoc?)? So if we go through line items for each department before that time, we're never going to get a budget passed.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:06:20 PM »

I'm just afraid we're going to end up with farmers, grocers, restaurants, bake sales and lemonade stands, etc. being immobilized by red tape, or arbitrary or changing standards. It could hurt small businesses especially hard because they don't have the resources to put into compliance or make appeals.  I'm just reading this as a carte blanche handing over of the legislative power, and not focused on a particular problem.

Your concerns are valid and I happen to agree with them.

I can very well hurt small business, but at the same time large meatpacking plants shouldn't be in the disgusting standard they're in now. Read The Jungle then Fast Food Nation, or at least Fast Food Nation. How do we balance small business and ranchers and farmers with making sure the public is not exposed to potential epidemics and grave hazards in every day life through all types of food?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies