Opinion of Andrew Jackson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:12:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Andrew Jackson
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Hero or Jerkass?
Freedom Fighter

Neutral

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Opinion of Andrew Jackson  (Read 2902 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2012, 09:26:34 AM »
« edited: April 20, 2012, 09:36:26 AM by MechaRepublican »

Total SUper Duper HP.

In fact I might even consider him in the top running for the worst president ever.  The man was a total psycho and an authoritarian.  He shot people just for the hell of it and he bemoaned vote by the educated.  Sure, I am all a fan for anti-elitist bashing, but there was a significant difference between the ideology that Thomas Jefferson believed in and the one that Andrew Jackson did.
Second, Andrew Jackson tried to subvert American Democracy and turned it into American Monarchy.  This ironically, would make him bedfellows with the elite Federalists of early America he claimed to so despise.  If he weren't a ruddy-poo Scot-Irish hick Alexander Hamilton might've called this guy "friend" and had a game of cards with him.  The Indian Removal Act is a classic example of the disdain that King Andrew had for checks and balances that was made to prevent exactly what he got away with.  Is it any wonder why many politicians no longer care about concepts like "Constitutionality" when a long ass time ago Andrew Jackson took such concepts and wiped his ass with them?
And thirdly, the Spoils System!  I mean really, my god man.

I mean really, besides white male suffrage (which meant little in that the President now had more power than the other two branches due to King Jackson's reign) what was good about Jackson's presidency?

It's almost as if Andrew Jackson was the prototype for the many egoholic powertrippers we've had in office since then.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:52:26 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2012, 05:46:35 PM by food justice »

FF, on balance.  He didn't "try to subvert American Democracy and turn it into American Monarchy" (which would be a good thing), in fact he created the notion that everything ought to be put to a popular referendum (his main long-term negative legacy besides his violent assault on states' rights).  The retarded Whig attack was because he (horrors of horrors) vetoed bills favored by the Whigs (all such bills were of the authoritarian dipsh**ttery category).

If it were not for Indian Removal (carried out under Van Buren, not Jackson) the Georgia militia (which outnumbered the US standing army of the time) would've massacred the five civilized tribes.  It was clearly the lesser evil, and the "third option" was not really an option (which is why it's only recent historians who've decided to passive-aggressively attack him on that even though it's really his economic policies they dislike).  Furthermore, several other POTUSes (most notably Lincoln and Grant) pursued much more violent policies towards the Indians than Jackson.

The spoils system was mostly Van Buren, but having the federal bureaucracy be easily bribed and replaced every few years was a (relative) good thing.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 03:31:22 PM »

HP.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 04:09:49 PM »

My dis-like of him stems more from my history teacher's love of him than anything else. I myself am not so sure of my opinion on him beyond that, but I would've proudly voted for JQA in 1824 and probably voted for William Wirt in 1832. Not real sure on 1828.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 04:12:14 PM »

FF. He actually believed in hard money and refused to recharter a national bank. He was, of course, the President who paid off our national debt. Sure there was the forced removals of the Five Civilized Tribes, and the spoils system, but overall he comes out slightly better than worse.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 04:49:54 PM »

This is a tough one, he had the right idea(hated the rich), but execution was terrible. Going to abstain on this one.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 09:26:43 PM »

FF. He actually believed in hard money and refused to recharter a national bank. He was, of course, the President who paid off our national debt. Sure there was the forced removals of the Five Civilized Tribes, and the spoils system, but overall he comes out slightly better than worse.

Pet banks were hard money?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 10:34:35 PM »

Pet banks were hard money?

Not talking about the pet banks, but about the Specie Circular. Pet banks is a whole different issue.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »

Massive HP, but to his credit, he killed the National Bank..
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »

Eeyup.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 05:53:39 PM »

Horrible person due to his position on slavery. But to be a democrat in those days it was good to be against the Nat'l Bank, which I oppose the bailouts. 
perdedor

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »

HP. Andrew Jackson embodied everything that was truly awful about the Presidents of the early 1800s.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 08:05:44 PM »

Genocidal bastard.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 08:05:51 PM »

Because private banks have served us SO well.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 08:23:13 PM »

Well, man, the National Bank was just as good at starting recessions as private banks (if not better).
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 08:31:28 PM »

Well, man, the National Bank was just as good at starting recessions as private banks (if not better).

True, but it's at least not their goal. And they'd theoretically actually give at least half the shet about correcting their massively damaging mistakes that they do about abusing the system for profit.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies