Brian Schweitzer continues to be awesome
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:25:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Brian Schweitzer continues to be awesome
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Brian Schweitzer continues to be awesome  (Read 7228 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2012, 12:42:02 PM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/04/schweitzer-goes-where-dems-have-gone-on-romney-121114.html

Is it insensitive? Yes. Is it true? Also yes.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 12:46:58 PM »

I think the Democrats have just found their nominee for 2016!

Go Schweitzer!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 12:50:28 PM »

I wasn't expecting any Democrats to highlight the weird and sinister religion that Romney belongs to, so this is a pleasant surprise. Not sure it's good politics, though.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 12:53:45 PM »

FF.
HST1948

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 01:01:12 PM »

Romney's religion shouldn't be an issue in this election.  Its not right to attack someones religion, it's not American to attack someone's religion, and it's not a winnable issue in this election. I now have one less candidate to consider voting for in the 2016 primaries.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 01:01:48 PM »

Go Schweitzer!
I didn't think he'd be the sort of person you would be majorly in favour of. That's partly because he's someone I really like.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 01:03:49 PM »

Romney's religion shouldn't be an issue in this election.  Its not right to attack someones religion, it's not American to attack someone's religion, and it's not a winnable issue in this election. I now have one less candidate to consider voting for in the 2016 primaries.

He didn't attack him for his religion. He attacked him for his hypocrisy.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 01:05:17 PM »

Nor is "polygamous commune in Mexico" (ie Americans going to Northern Mexico to both profit from and exacerbate general lawlessness there in the period) much of a salespoint with Mexicans, either.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 01:06:46 PM »

Romney's religion shouldn't be an issue in this election.  Its not right to attack someones religion, it's not American to attack someone's religion, and it's not a winnable issue in this election. I now have one less candidate to consider voting for in the 2016 primaries.

I'd agree that it's not a winnable issue, unfortunately, but why on earth shouldn't someone's religious beliefs be open to criticism? Presumably they have at least some influence on how someone thinks and behaves.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 01:06:57 PM »

This doesn't sound like an off the cuff comment to me. I have a hunch that Schweitzer's comment was planned, either by the Obama campaign or the DNC. They're using him as a surrogate to bring up the topic. Obama can denounce it and steer clear of any backlash while the issue still circulates and brings it into a national conversation.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 01:09:30 PM »

Wow.  If it weren't for Schweitzer's position on marriage equality, maybe I'd actually be supporting him.  Maybe.
Vermin Supreme
Henry Clay

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 01:10:08 PM »

Go Schweitzer!
I didn't think he'd be the sort of person you would be majorly in favour of. That's partly because he's someone I really like.

Schweitzer is pretty left wing for Montana. He tried to pass single payer last year with GOP state legisatives that are typical GOP when it comes to the issue of health care. He's also pretty libertarian as well, opposing gun control and the Real ID Act of 2005, which makes him good fit for the state without going all DINOish at the same time governing.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 01:12:14 PM »

I am sure you all would b singing a different tune if some one brought up Obama's association with Ayers or Rev Wright...accusing of racism and bigotry. I am surprised that you all find it ok to attack a man's faith...
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »

I look forward to the day you lose votes for saying you believe in nonsensical myths
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »

I am sure you all would b singing a different tune if some one brought up Obama's association with Ayers or Rev Wright...accusing of racism and bigotry. I am surprised that you all find it ok to attack a man's faith...

Well, to be fair, that already happened...four years ago. And who said that every democrat approves of it? It looks like a lot of us don't. But the fact of the matter is that this kind of campaigning exists in every cycle. Democrats have usually been at the other end of it (i.e. Dukakis, Kerry, Obama). It was particularly nasty for Dukakis- being asked whether he would support the death penalty if his wife were raped and murdered, very sleazy stuff. Or the ridiculous rumor that Dukakis didn't support the pledge of allegiance. It looks like Mittens might be the one having to fight off brazen attacks this time.

I can't say I approve of it, but I can't help but say to myself, "what goes around comes around..."
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 01:26:33 PM »

I don't know why it's not okay to attack someone's faith. Surely a person's religion informs their worldview and ideology as much as anything else. Bush would have been much less of a total disaster if he weren't a fundamentalist Christian, for example.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 01:30:52 PM »

Who attacked anyone's faith? He merely explained why his father being born in Mexico probably won't be used by the Romney campaign to gain support among Hispanics.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »

I don't know why it's not okay to attack someone's faith. Surely a person's religion informs their worldview and ideology as much as anything else. Bush would have been much less of a total disaster if he weren't a fundamentalist Christian, for example.
I respect that- but I respect consistency. When Newt says undrstanding Kenyan colonial mindset is important to understand Obama's father's worldview he is attacked as racist... this is very similar but is embraced
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 01:37:37 PM »

Who attacked anyone's faith? He merely explained why his father being born in Mexico probably won't be used by the Romney campaign to gain support among Hispanics.
Actually, he did go into a little rant after that about how "polygamy" is far less accepted than "Mormonism" by the swing voter.
And of course, you'll find polygamy in the family history of many Mormons and all the Mormon gentry.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 01:39:58 PM »

I think that for anybody to use this statement against either Schweitzer or Obama would be bordering on Talibanism.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 01:51:42 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2012, 01:54:32 PM by Averroës Nix »

When Newt says undrstanding Kenyan colonial mindset is important to understand Obama's father's worldview he is attacked as racist... this is very similar but is embraced

But that's not what Gingrich said:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Anyway, while his statement isn't quite as ridiculous and inappropriate as Newt's, I do think that Schweitzer's comment was out of line, if only because there's not much reason to believe that Romney's grandparents are the key to understanding his Mittness. I don't care about his grandparents; I do care about the religious beliefs that the man actually holds.

For the record, I believe that a candidate's religious beliefs should be subject to scrutiny, and I agree with what greenforest states in his characteristically caustic way. Or at least, that would be ideal. As it stands, a large chunk of the electorate insists that candidates demonstrate that they are bona fide religious. Skirting the issue entirely is a practical necessity for the irreligious/non-religious.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 01:58:18 PM »

Schweitzer's type of language has no place in the public debate, and it's sad that no one will call him out on it; especially Harry Reid who is a Mormon, but once again it is all a result of the Democrat's M.O. Attack others, but when the shoe is reversed, call foul.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 01:59:58 PM »

Actually, he did go into a little rant after that about how "polygamy" is far less accepted than "Mormonism" by the swing voter.
And of course, you'll find polygamy in the family history of many Mormons and all the Mormon gentry.

He's just analyzing the election.

Besides, weren't some of Obama's Kenyan ancestors polygamists?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 02:01:15 PM »

He's just analyzing the election.

Besides, weren't some of Obama's Kenyan ancestors polygamists?

His father was a polygamist.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 02:01:48 PM »

but when the shoe is reversed, call foul.

seems reasonable of the democrats, that sounds painful
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies