Brian Schweitzer continues to be awesome
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:41:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Brian Schweitzer continues to be awesome
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Brian Schweitzer continues to be awesome  (Read 7199 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2012, 09:27:50 AM »

I still can't get over the fact that in 68 Romney's dad ran for President but he was born in a polygamous commune in Mexico and no one made a deal. lol

People cared more about his opposition to Vietnam (before it was cool to do so). Plus, he didn't really trumpet his faith like candidates do today. I doubt most people knew that George Romney was a Mormon born in Mexico (to two US citizens, by the way).

Besides, Nixon was the one responsible for engineering Romney's downfall (if I recall correctly, Romney was the frontrunner before Nixon did his thing), and as a Quaker, Nixon was probably a bit hesitant to target Romney on grounds of religion when a much easier line of attack was provided by Romney's "brainwashing" comment.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2012, 10:31:27 AM »

Massive FF.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2012, 03:23:57 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2012, 03:47:51 PM by Politico »

If only Schweitzer were so open about what the vast majority of his constituents think of Obama. If we want to talk about history, let's consider the Democratic Party: Using or abusing a certain group of people/voters one way or another since the 19th century, long before Mitt's father came to America.

If we want to talk about religion, I'll take Mormons any day over Rev. "God Damn America" Wright.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2012, 05:05:16 PM »

I still can't get over the fact that in 68 Romney's dad ran for President but he was born in a polygamous commune in Mexico and no one made a deal. lol

People cared more about his opposition to Vietnam (before it was cool to do so). Plus, he didn't really trumpet his faith like candidates do today. I doubt most people knew that George Romney was a Mormon born in Mexico (to two US citizens, by the way).

Times were different in 1968.  That there were still Mormon polygamous sects was not widely know, so polygamy was seen as something of the past.  Plus not only were the evangelicals less active politically, they weren't clustered in one party as they are today.  However there were some who argued that George was not a natural-born citizen because of the circumstances of his birth.  His parents were US citizens, but not US residents at the time of his birth.  George was not subject to the jurisdiction of the US when born, so you could argue that when he was born he did not meet the 14th Amendment definition of citizen, and hence was a naturalized citizen instead of a natural-born citizen.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2012, 08:06:23 PM »

I see nothing wrong with it - he was just giving some true political analysis.
How? Did he say Romney would sweep the Mexican polygamist demographic?
Bluegrassball
Rookie

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »

I don't understand what all the hullabaloo is all about. Seems like manufactured indignation by Republicans more than anything.

All he as doing is expressing a view that most political analysts agree with: that the Romney campaign will be reluctant to use the "My Dad is from Mexico" pitch because of the polygamy connotations.

And given the fact that the Romney campaign has generally not been pushing it demonstrates that they likely agree with him to.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2012, 02:00:30 PM »

I wouldn't attack Romney over what his grandparents did/believed.

Mitt Romney himself, however, did belong to a church that prohibited black priests, while he was not only alive but well into adulthood...
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2012, 02:23:55 PM »

This bolo tie bronco bustin' rootin' tootin' cowboy I see is also a narrow minded Mormon basher slyly bringing up the polygamy issue in a way he hopes nobody will see through his bigoted little ploy.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2012, 02:30:09 PM »

And BTW, why is a Church allowed to be so heavily involved in politics yet be immune to criticism?

The LDS Church continues to wage a war of bigotry on millions of Americans. Well guess what... Karma is a bitch.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2012, 03:02:57 PM »

Well guess what...

there is a world of difference between bashing ones' particular faith or religion and standing up for a moral principle. 
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »

Well guess what...

there is a world of difference between bashing ones' particular faith or religion and standing up for a moral principle. 

The Mormon church is a religious organization but it is also a political machine. It's at least as open to criticism as the whole Jeremiah Wright thing. What were your thoughts on the Jeremiah Wright thing?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2012, 03:11:34 PM »

Well guess what...

Yes, standing up to bigotry and discrimination is a must.  It is important that we as Americans point out the rude and discriminatory statements of others who dare to imply that you can tell a lot about a person's character from their lifestyle.  Statements of love and not at all judgmental about a person's lifestyle like this for instance:

This bolo tie bronco bustin' rootin' tootin' cowboy I see is also a narrow minded Mormon basher slyly bringing up the polygamy issue in a way he hopes nobody will see through his bigoted little ploy.

As you all can see the honorable Winfield has gone out of his way not to bring up Governor Brian Schweitzer's culture highlighted in the bolded words while also condemning attacks on Mormonism.  What a great, loving, and altogether non-judgmental poster and a great example of a human being to us all.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »

Can someone please sticky this thread?  The hypocrisy by both sides could prove extremely amusing in month or two.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2012, 03:19:40 PM »

And what, pray tell, is so upsetting about  bolo tie bronco bustin' rootin' tootin' cowboy?

Any cowboy would be proud to be described as such.

These, my friend, with the possible exception of bolo tie, are terms used commonly, and might I say in a positive light, in western movies and documentaries about cowboys.

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2012, 03:26:35 PM »

And what, pray tell, is so upsetting about  bolo tie bronco bustin' rootin' tootin' cowboy?

Any cowboy would be proud to be described as such.

These, my friend, with the possible exception of bolo tie, are terms used commonly, and might I say in a positive light, in western movies and documentaries about cowboys.

My friend, did I say anything about it being bad?

NONSENSE!  I was merely praising your openhearted need to point out that Brian Schweitzer was a cowboy who also had the misfortune to make polygamy jokes about Morons Mormons.  Because it is not at all culturalist to point out that somebody is of a certain culture when making a point about people who judge other religions.

It takes a truly great man to not skip over such details that are indeed important to judging how somebody will naturally perceive things they do not understand.  It is scientific truth after all!

Winnie be praised!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2012, 03:33:56 PM »

Well guess what...

The Mormon church is a religious organization but it is also a political machine. It's at least as open to criticism as the whole Jeremiah Wright thing. What were your thoughts on the Jeremiah Wright thing?

Might I say that the Mormon Church has always stood up for and stood by America, in good times and bad.

Note, I am not saying one thing about Obama's faith.  He says he is a Protestant Christian, and that's good enough for me, no questions asked.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »

Well guess what...

But Schweitzer didn't bash any faith. He pointed out that Mitt Romney won't be using his father's birthplace to appeal to Hispanic voters because of the polygamy connotations, because polygamy isn't exactly approved of in American society. That's electoral analysis, and probably a spot on one at that.

And standing up for a moral principle? Hah! I'm sure Lilburn Boggs said something similar. Roll Eyes
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2012, 03:39:28 PM »

Never, in my wildest imagination, did I ever think that anybody on this forum would ever outdo Kalwejt in the sarcasm field, but I believe Mechaman has just topped that.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2012, 06:42:09 PM »

Well guess what...

Might I say that the Mormon Church has always stood up for and stood by America, in good times and bad.

Note, I am not saying one thing about Obama's faith.  He says he is a Protestant Christian, and that's good enough for me, no questions asked.

Fair enough.

I will also concede that LDS has never, ever been in any way anti-American. Its patriotism is unimpeachable, as is its commitment to what it sees, often/usually correctly, as the needs of its members. I may have a problem with other things and think that they're legitimate bases for criticism, but I'd never deny those basic facts.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2012, 06:55:12 PM »

Well guess what...

Fair enough.

I will also concede that LDS has never, ever been in any way anti-American. Its patriotism is unimpeachable, as is its commitment to what it sees, often/usually correctly, as the needs of its members. I may have a problem with other things and think that they're legitimate bases for criticism, but I'd never deny those basic facts.

As a Mormon Democrat, thank you for that. I do detest either side insulting my church (though yeah, we've done a lot of questionable things, including Prop Cool.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies