Would you have voted for the Oregon Compulsory Education Act?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:07:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Would you have voted for the Oregon Compulsory Education Act?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Would you have voted for the Oregon Compulsory Education Act?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Would you have voted for the Oregon Compulsory Education Act?  (Read 7112 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2012, 11:18:33 PM »
« edited: April 20, 2012, 11:24:37 PM by blood red X's for every 24 hours ive suffered through »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Compulsory_Education_Act

Absolutely. This is easily one of the best pieces of legislation ever passed by a state in US history, even if the courts struck it down. I'm actually amazed any state actually did ever propose to completely abolish private schools, I always assumed that was just a far out dream of mine.

Ironic that such a great law was authored by the Masons (who I am known for being strongly opposed to) and supported by the KKK.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 11:52:32 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Compulsory_Education_Act

Absolutely. This is easily one of the best pieces of legislation ever passed by a state in US history, even if the courts struck it down. I'm actually amazed any state actually did ever propose to completely abolish private schools, I always assumed that was just a far out dream of mine.

People in the northern parts of the United States tend to have an authoritarian streak.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 11:56:36 PM »

No, because I don't have an irrational fear of private or home schools.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 05:40:57 AM »

Bad law, worse court ruling.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 06:49:44 AM »

Never in a million years.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 07:32:57 AM »

No, because I'm not Catholic-phobic.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 08:13:38 AM »

I'm actually amazed any state actually did ever propose to completely abolish private schools, I always assumed that was just a far out dream of mine.

I'm curious, what are your reasons for that? To protect against scamming for-profit degree mills or to ensure that everyone attends the same education system or something else?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 09:08:18 AM »

He is authoritarian.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 09:22:36 AM »

No, especially given the current state of public schools. If parents can afford to give their children a better education in a better enviroment, they should.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 09:58:11 AM »

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 10:05:37 AM »

What is wrong with the court ruling?
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »

I would not have voted for this law. Homeschooling should be an option; I do not think religious schools should exist but would not take any steps to aggress against those institutions out of respect for those who adhere to other cultures or are in disagreement with me; and I reckon private schools ought to be workers' cooperatives, but once again am unwilling to cram such a change down peoples' throats to get my way.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »

Yes I would. No two tiered education!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 03:52:28 PM »

No, given that it was just a veiled effort to destroy Catholics schools.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 03:54:07 PM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 03:56:07 PM »

Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 08:27:36 AM »

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 10:20:29 AM »

Probably not, on the principle that it was a KKK-backed piece of anti-Catholic legislation. The right idea for the wrong reasons, and not really a precedent I'd like to set.

I do support making home "schooling" illegal, and I'm strongly opposed to private schools - even to the point of outright banning them.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2012, 10:26:23 AM by MechaRepublican »

This pretty much.

lol at BRTD wondering why the KKK was on what he would see to be the "right side".  Then again, I'm not entirely sure BRTD would've been that outraged at the 1920's KKK.  Actually, I see him being a moderate hero on the 1920's KKK.

Obviously, I don't agree with the whole anti-private school hoopla.  I mean really, somebody has to be quite a staunch statist to think about forcing every kid to attend a public school.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 10:41:23 AM »

Probably not, on the principle that it was a KKK-backed piece of anti-Catholic legislation. The right idea for the wrong reasons, and not really a precedent I'd like to set.

I do support making home "schooling" illegal, and I'm strongly opposed to private schools - even to the point of outright banning them.
I have seenmany people who are opposed to school vouchers but I have yet to see a completely anti-private school point of view... can you please explain where you are coming from with this so I can understand?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 11:07:18 AM »

And...that's a bad thing how?

Probably not, on the principle that it was a KKK-backed piece of anti-Catholic legislation.

Well considering how you are pretty anti-Catholic (see comments about sex abuse scandals and contraception), I don't see how that'd be a problem, unless you're basically just saying anything the KKK supports should be opposed.

This pretty much.

lol at BRTD wondering why the KKK was on what he would see to be the "right side".  Then again, I'm not entirely sure BRTD would've been that outraged at the 1920's KKK.  Actually, I see him being a moderate hero on the 1920's KKK.

Not at all, I probably would like Irish immigrants in the 20s actually since they were the biggest opponents of Prohibition and responsible for providing me with a lot of my alcohol, and the KKK were in favor of it. I would've voted for Al Smith in 1928 because of that.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 11:25:48 AM »

Probably not, on the principle that it was a KKK-backed piece of anti-Catholic legislation.

Well considering how you are pretty anti-Catholic (see comments about sex abuse scandals and contraception), I don't see how that'd be a problem, unless you're basically just saying anything the KKK supports should be opposed.

This pretty much.

lol at BRTD wondering why the KKK was on what he would see to be the "right side".  Then again, I'm not entirely sure BRTD would've been that outraged at the 1920's KKK.  Actually, I see him being a moderate hero on the 1920's KKK.

Not at all, I probably would like Irish immigrants in the 20s actually since they were the biggest opponents of Prohibition and responsible for providing me with a lot of my alcohol, and the KKK were in favor of it. I would've voted for Al Smith in 1928 because of that.

I wasn't calling you anti-Irish, I was calling you anti-Catholic.

Get the terms right.

Good to know at least you hate the 1920's KKK for some rational reason at least.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 11:30:23 AM »

Well, besides the fact that Catholic schools consistently produce better-achieving students, at a lower cost per pupil, than public schools, Catholic immigrant students faced extreme discrimination from both teachers and fellow students in public schools in the early 20th century.  They were put in the lowest reading/math groups, given low marks, pressured to drop out as soon as legally possible, made to sit in the back of the classroom, bullied, ostracized etc. (not to mention that there would probably be a few lessons on the evils of Popery).  Also do note that public schools were not any more (and generally less) secular than Catholic schools back then.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well considering how you are pretty anti-Catholic (see comments about sex abuse scandals and contraception), I don't see how that'd be a problem, unless you're basically just saying anything the KKK supports should be opposed.[/quote]

Sometimes, you are obliged to oppose something based on its reasoning rather than its content.  Perhaps on the other side of the spectrum, but Murray Rothbard had a good example; suppose some congressman in 1850 proposed a constitutional amendment declaring the total inviolability of private property and forbidding government interference with it.  Any good libertarian would be obliged to vote against it, since their definition of private property would certainly differ from that hypothetical congressman (who is seeking to protect slavery).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 01:56:07 PM »

The principle behind the backers of this idea then and now are the same: a devotion to state-enforced homogeneity.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 02:06:41 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2012, 02:35:55 PM by blood red X's for every 24 hours ive suffered through »

This pretty much.

I wasn't calling you anti-Irish, I was calling you anti-Catholic.

Get the terms right.

Good to know at least you hate the 1920's KKK for some rational reason at least.

Can you really name anything about the KKK I'd support? I'm actually just surprised they were even active in Oregon, considering how many blacks live there, I was always under the impression that the Klan outside the south was just in border territories like Indiana.

I should point out that while anti-Catholic immigrant sentiment (and yeah this basically means "Irish" at the time, though I suppose there were some Italians too, still same thing in regards to Prohibition) was pretty loony and based on hilariously dumb premises (see what the Know Nothings were worried about.) However one should ask if the Catholics were really any better, imagine someone from a Catholic family at that time getting married in a Protestant church and how their family would react and how many's families would just flat out refuse to attend. Or that just about anyone from a Catholic family would likely be ostracized for doing an out and out conversion. It reminds me of the Irish Catholic churches in the 19th century condemning the "soupers", people who renounced Catholicism to get soup and food from Anglican charities and condemning them in sermons and I thought it was inane, imagine how someone would be viewed today refusing to attend their kid's wedding because it wasn't in a Catholic church or if Catholic churches were condemning converts. Even most Catholics today would be disgusted by it, and with good reason.

FYI, the woman who just gave the sermon at my church this morning is a professor at a Catholic university. (Albeit a very liberal one and it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of professors at it are not Catholic.)
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies