What tax/es should a country use to collect revenue? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:01:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  What tax/es should a country use to collect revenue? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What tax/es should a country use to collect revenue?  (Read 1595 times)
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« on: April 21, 2012, 12:13:51 AM »

Two things: firstly assume the country is going to collect x amount of revenue, with x being the same regardless of what tax you select(this is to deflect all of the people screeching higher/lower/none!)

Secondly this isn't intended to be a debate about progressive vs non-progressive systems. Any given tax(even consumption taxes) can have both progressive and non-progressive variants... assume for the sake of discussion that all of the taxes under consideration are of identical progressivity.

Thirdly assume that retired and welfare dependant folk are rendered exempt/compensated from all of them(as is typically the case with taxes)

(the first two requests will probably be ignored, but at least I tried. le sigh.)

With that out of way which tax/es would you consider preferable for collecting revenue? Rank them in order of preference if you wish.

Personally I would say property taxes are the optimum revenue source. This has been the conclusion of most studies by economic institutions: property tax>consumption tax>income/payroll tax/corporate/capital gains tax(see here http://www.politifact.com/rhode-island/statements/2010/nov/14/lincoln-chafee/chafee-quotes-experts-saying-sales-tax-increase-wo/ ).

A property tax(ideally structured as a land value tax so as to avoid penalizing improvements to property) would probably be a insufficient source of revenue however. So on top of that I would put a consumption tax and perhaps a tax on extraction of finite resources(ie. mining).

Rockingham

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:38:40 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2012, 11:46:36 AM by Kyro sayz »

I love your username Miamiu Smiley lol.

Is it even possible to collect the same amount of revenue from each tax while having them have the same progressivity level? I don't see how a sales tax will bring in the same amount of revenue as a bracketed income tax and have the same level of progressiveness.
I only said that to stop this being an argument about progressiveness and quantity of taxation, and keep it about the style of tax. You may be right, technically, in that more money is recieved as personal income then is spent. But that also holds true for a flat or regressive income tax vis a vis a flat or regressive consumption tax. And we're talking there about maximum potential revenue... no one is considering a 100% tax therefore the percentage tax rater would just need to be set higher for consumption tax for it to recieve the same quantity of revenue.

My entirely unfounded impression of how it should be until someone talks sense into me is:

Income/Payroll Tax > Capital Gains Tax > Consumption Tax > Corporate Tax > Property Tax
I'll accept that invitation Smiley.

I'd first point to the the OECD study in question(http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/34/49/46617652.pdf) which stated

"The analysis suggests a tax and economic growth ranking
order according to which corporate taxes are the most harmful type of tax for economic
growth, followed by personal income taxes and then consumption taxes, with recurrent
taxes on immovable property being the least harmful tax."

The reason for the ranking are several:
1) Ease of escaping the tax. Corporations can easily outsource and conceal their real net revenue. Workers have a harder time immigrating then corporations do(though corporation can outsource their jobs) but they can easily conceal their real income. Consumption cannot be outsourced and is quite hard to conceal. Land value is impossible to outsource or conceal.

2) Economic effects. A corporate tax leaves some corporations unviable. An income tax leaves a higher quantity of people unemployed and reduces marginal incentive to work. A consumption tax directly reduces consumption. But what economic activity does a land  tax reduce?... land supply is almost totally inelastic. It can actually increase economic activity if structured as a land value tax(calculated based on the value of the land itself while excluding the value of improvements made to it(ie. a house)), because it strongly penalizes underutilization of land.

I would also add 3) Moral and philosophical arguments.
a)Whereas wealth from income is earnt, wealth from land is entirely unearnt... the value goes up or down without any input from it's owner. Even stockmarket investors have an edge there... their money is being directly utilized by the company to enable growth, whereas your land is not being utilized at all to stimulate the increase in land value. It is a fundamentally undeserved increase in wealth.
b)Land ownership is zerosum, unlike labour/enterprise/capital/investment. Your owning it comes at the expense of everyone else because its supply cannot be increased.
c)Its fundamentally more egalitarian. The biggest source of the gap between the wealth of white versus nonwhites is not income, it is land value(especially since the presence of whites tends to increase a neighborhoods land value while white flight leads to a collapse in land values).
Rockingham

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »

You are one funny troll.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies