France 2012: Official Results Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:53:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  France 2012: Official Results Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: France 2012: Official Results Thread  (Read 145880 times)
danny
Israel

« on: April 23, 2012, 07:34:13 AM »

Results in Israel (7,196 total votes):

Sarkozy: 82.74%
Hollande: 7.62%
MLP: 3.99%
danny
Israel

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 12:22:50 PM »

Results in Israel (7,196 total votes):

Sarkozy: 82.74%
Hollande: 7.62%
MLP: 3.99%

Who would those voters be? Mostly French Jews living in Israel but not (yet) naturalized, or just the usual expat population? Those numbers make me sort of suspect the former.

I don't know but I was assuming so, especially since there were over 49,000 eligible voters so it was only 15% turnout.
Also note that this does not include Jerusalem (which had a polling place) which has a sizable population of French immigrants, since France doesn't recognize Jerusalem as being part of Israel.

PS, are naturalized Israelis ineligible to vote in these elections?
danny
Israel

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 06:46:19 AM »

I was seriously wondering about why they defined things that way. Trying to refuse to either endorse or non-endorse Israeli annexation of East Jerusalem?

France doesn't recognize any part of Jerusalem as part of Israel (including west Jerusalem), they still refer to Jerusalem as corpus separatum as it was supposed to be under the "United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine".
danny
Israel

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 08:47:28 AM »

Uh... that sounds odd. (It's not as if they don't recognize the rest of Israel's post-48 boundaries either, is it?) Though it does explain things here.
Yes, they are not very consistant about this, one of the polls was in Beer Sheva and is included in Israel despite being part of Palestine under that plan.
danny
Israel

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 02:32:25 PM »

Uh... that sounds odd. (It's not as if they don't recognize the rest of Israel's post-48 boundaries either, is it?) Though it does explain things here.
Yes, they are not very consistant about this, one of the polls was in Beer Sheva and is included in Israel despite being part of Palestine under that plan.

They ARE very consistent: it's such a long-standing policy, there's been time to work it out to the minute detail. Israeli post-1948 (pre-1967) borders are, in general, recognized, with one exception: Israeli control of any part of the City of Jerusalem will only be recognized de jure upon the final settlement. The French are not alone here: this is the general approach of most of the world. This is why there are so few embassies in Jerusalem - almost nobody recognizes any part of Jerusalem as legally Israeli. This position is made very clearly, for instance, on the website of the British consulate in Jerusalem.

It may be long standing but I don't see how it is consistent if they are going to recognize other parts of pre-67 areas as part of Israel and not "west Jerusalem". And it isn't clear to me what "Jerusalem" means. Is it the original UN corpus separatum? The areas currently defined by Israel as Jerusalem? the areas the British mandate defined as jerusalem?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies