Opinion of the Christian side hug (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:35:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of the Christian side hug (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Freedom hug

Horrible hug

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Opinion of the Christian side hug  (Read 8091 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: April 23, 2012, 11:00:21 PM »

It's the hug best suited for today's always on the move, gotta keep going, lifestyle.

This, hence HH.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:30:26 AM »
« Edited: April 25, 2012, 12:50:02 AM by Nathan »

You can disguise bigotry as adhering to the Lord; it is still bigotry, nonetheless.  Your interpretation is what I believe- according to my faith- a distorted one

Dude, do you REALLY think ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE, really believes homosexuality is compatible with the bible?  You can act like you believe all you want, but deep down inside you know the bible is point blank against it.

...wow.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »

You can disguise bigotry as adhering to the Lord; it is still bigotry, nonetheless.  Your interpretation is what I believe- according to my faith- a distorted one

Dude, do you REALLY think ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE, really believes homosexuality is compatible with the bible?  You can act like you believe all you want, but deep down inside you know the bible is point blank against it.

...wow.

why are you shocked?  how is this news?   do you think you've discarded and ignored those portions of scirpture without having a motive to do so?

any time someone has to ignore a section of scripture to uphold their doctrine, demonstates their doctrine is contradictory to scripture.

What I'm shocked by isn't your profound insight.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 01:51:50 PM »

Sex acts are your fascination, not mine.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »

Sex acts are your fascination, not mine.

well, I not so fascinated with it to the point that I deceive myself about it, like you do...example, here is a quote from you recently:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=152142.msg3267832;topicseen#msg3267832
You must be logged in to read this quote.

now, obviously, anyone who claims homosexuals are a new fad is truly self-deceived, which is why I asked:

are you, again, going to argue that homosexuals didn't exist during biblical times but came to earth during the Tunguska blast of 1908?

No, they didn't come to Earth during the Tunguska blast. They came to Earth in the middle-to-late part of the Victorian period when that particular complex of desires was conceived in an identitarian sense that didn't rely exclusively on how particular sex acts were viewed. 'The homosexual' is socially constructed ostensibly around sex but because of the level of sophistication that goes into the current Western identitarian model it's actually considerably less carnal than the starker sacramental characters (to borrow a term from Mark D. Jordan) that we find in earlier constructions.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 04:00:37 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2012, 04:08:28 PM by Nathan »

Out of curiosity, have you ever wondered why TJ and I are able to talk in a friendly and collegial manner about these sorts of issues?
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 12:56:02 PM »

The thing is that TJ's position on this specific aspect of this specific issue is in some ways harsher because he expects people to suborn desires but doesn't seem to expect they won't have them, whereas jmfcst's is on its face more merciful but has the drawback of being almost completely divorced from reality and giving false hope (in the context of a worldview in which what's being discussed is any kind of 'hope' at all).
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 01:21:24 PM »

The thing is that TJ's position on this specific aspect of this specific issue is in some ways harsher because he expects people to suborn desires but doesn't seem to expect they won't have them, whereas jmfcst's is on its face more merciful but has the drawback of being almost completely divorced from reality and giving false hope (in the context of a worldview in which what's being discussed is any kind of 'hope' at all).

So, you don't believe Christ has the power to free people from sin instantaneously, as if Christ isn't powerful enough to break sins grip?!

John 8:36 "So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."

If you, being a Christian, deny Christ's power to free people from the control of sin, then you're obviously one of those referred to in the following passage:

2Tim 3:4 "They are lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 they have a form of godliness but deny its power. Have nothing to do with them."

Do not misunderstand me – I am NOT talking about having someone recite a prayer and declaring them free of sin.  Rather I am referring to a genuine encounter with Jesus Christ.

I'm not denying Christ's power to do that at all. You're fundamentally misunderstanding the level on which I'm accusing you of mischaracterizing this, and also that on which TJ is trying to disabuse you of some of your chimerical theological assumptions.

Screw pleasure. It's boring as hell.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies