CA anti-death penalty measure qualifies for Nov. ballot
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:29:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CA anti-death penalty measure qualifies for Nov. ballot
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: How would you vote in this referendum ?
Abolish CA's death penalty
Keep CA's death penalty
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: CA anti-death penalty measure qualifies for Nov. ballot  (Read 4976 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2012, 11:50:09 PM »

I believe that every sapient individual has a fundamental right to life, something that no government can rightfully take away.

So governments aren't sapient to you, I take it?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2012, 11:53:19 PM »

I believe that every sapient individual has a fundamental right to life, something that no government can rightfully take away.

"Governments are people, my friend!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2012, 01:48:15 AM »

Sapient in the sense that it's being used here is more like what most people think sentient means. I'm not sure when this usage originated.

Yeah, but he's trying to exclude fetuses.  I'm pro-choice on abortion so I don't have a dog in the fight other than a sensible statement.  It looks like neither "sapient" (excludes stupid and crazy) nor "sentient" (includes fetuses) will do what he wants.

Sapient is used the way that he wants in utilitarian philosophy circles, but that obviously led to confusion. Conscious runs into obvious problems. Self-aware puts us in odd territory regarding the seriously retarded. So I'm really not sure.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2012, 02:08:54 AM »

Well, government isn't a sapient individual, as it isn't an individual.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »

Shocking. I wasn't aware of that. *facepalm*

FallenMorgan specifically said that he wanted citizens to "murder their governments." You can't possibly murder an institution, you can only murder people. You can abolish, end, or reform  an institution, but you can't murder it. In order to "murder" a government, you'd have to murder the people who make up that government. From Morgan's argument, it sounds like he wants citizens to murder their legislators. If he meant otherwise, he should have used less extreme and more socially accepted language. By his logic that sapient individuals have to right to life, but legislators should be murdered implies that he doesn't think legislators are sapient.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2012, 04:37:24 PM »

FallenMorgan specifically said that he wanted citizens to "murder their governments." You can't possibly murder an institution, you can only murder people. You can abolish, end, or reform  an institution, but you can't murder it. In order to "murder" a government, you'd have to murder the people who make up that government. From Morgan's argument, it sounds like he wants citizens to murder their legislators. If he meant otherwise, he should have used less extreme and more socially accepted language. By his logic that sapient individuals have to right to life, but legislators should be murdered implies that he doesn't think legislators are sapient.

It's a figure of speech, you see.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2012, 04:45:28 PM »

Well, I'm an anarchist, so...
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2012, 05:06:56 PM »

Not one I've ever heard.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2012, 11:29:19 PM »

Not one I've ever heard.

IT WAS A JOKE, GOSH
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2012, 07:21:08 AM »

Not one I've ever heard.

IT WAS A JOKE, GOSH

I had no problem understanding it as a figure of speech.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2012, 09:07:40 AM »

I'd vote for it.  I like the requirement to work while in prison, and in today's system of constant appeals, the death penalty is a financial drain on the justice system.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2012, 02:32:17 PM »

Anyways, today, the main consequence of death penalty is making lawyers more wealthy because of the multiplications of the appeals and other procedural moves to delay things.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2012, 02:47:50 PM »

Only the sapient?  (I admit I had to look it up.)  So stupid and crazy people get no such right?

Anyway, by that standard you'd have to oppose a government using deadly force to oppose a military invasion.

Stupid and crazy people are generally considered sapient, unless you are Peter Singer.

This.

I say "sapient" to preclude responses of "hurrdurr what about feetuses."

I knew that that was your reason, and I've asked you this before:

Why should sapience be the deciding factor in determining one's right to life?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2012, 08:58:21 AM »

I'd vote for it.  I like the requirement to work while in prison, and in today's system of constant appeals, the death penalty is a financial drain on the justice system.

Maybe this is just the Texas view, but it seems to us that if your state's getting a lot of appeals from Death Row, then maybe you need to make some adjustments in your prison system so that life there is not so "appealing".
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »

Maybe this is just the Texas view, but it seems to us that if your state's getting a lot of appeals from Death Row, then maybe you need to make some adjustments in your prison system so that life there is not so "appealing".

That's an...understandable point of view, but in fact California has infamously crowded and nasty prison conditions, probably worse than those in Texas.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2012, 04:50:59 PM »

Only the sapient?  (I admit I had to look it up.)  So stupid and crazy people get no such right?

Anyway, by that standard you'd have to oppose a government using deadly force to oppose a military invasion.

Stupid and crazy people are generally considered sapient, unless you are Peter Singer.

This.

I say "sapient" to preclude responses of "hurrdurr what about feetuses."

I knew that that was your reason, and I've asked you this before:

Why should sapience be the deciding factor in determining one's right to life?

Well, fetuses aren't sapient (neither are infants), but it's actually more of a matter of the fact that a fetus is dependent on another's body.  In addition to the fact that it isn't sapient.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2012, 05:50:10 PM »

You do realize that the death penalty in California is now basically an extremely expensive form of life in prison, don't you?

Perhaps. I still don't favor abolishing it, however.

Any particular reason why an inoperative death penalty is better than no death penalty?

I believe that the possibility of capital punishment should exist, even if it is not used. The fact that California has an inoperative death penalty, to me, is more of an argument against the fact that it is inoperative, not against the death penalty itself.

See, we're approaching a paradox here. The constitution guarantees a little thing called "due process", especially in capital cases. Having a proper due process (which still doesn't give you an absolute guarantee) simply costs money and, in U.S., it's far more expensive than having inmate locked up for life.

Death penalty hardly can be "operative", unless you hang em' all the next week without proper appeals and other safeguards. Especially in states that are unlikely to actually execute anyone in foresable future. And California is the case.

So, what's the use of having the death penalty in the books outside of having "the death penalty must be an option!" fetish?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies