CA anti-death penalty measure qualifies for Nov. ballot (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:15:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CA anti-death penalty measure qualifies for Nov. ballot (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How would you vote in this referendum ?
Abolish CA's death penalty
Keep CA's death penalty
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: CA anti-death penalty measure qualifies for Nov. ballot  (Read 5008 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: April 24, 2012, 12:34:29 AM »

I'd say it's got a good chance of passing. It's actually pretty tough on criminals.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:40:25 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2012, 12:42:07 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

But is this also the official ballot language for November ?

I'm already interested in the next polls (especially Field, SurveyUSA and PPP). Let's hope they ask the question correctly (with the LIPWCOP option).

Those are the title and summary unless the SOS changes it. The actual law is contained in a PDF, and there were will be arguments for and against it in the voter guide.

The Catholic Church might actually do some good with this one.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:52:38 AM »

I'm already interested in the next polls (especially Field, SurveyUSA and PPP). Let's hope they ask the question correctly (with the LIPWCOP option).

Those are the title and summary unless the SOS changes it. The actual law is contained in a PDF, and there were will be arguments for and against it in the voter guide.

Yeah, if this is the actual ballot question then it might have a good chance to pass.

Unless support for replacing the DP with LIP W/O COP overpolls like Gay Marriage in 2008 ...

People are for the death penalty aren't seen as bigots the same way that people against gay marriage are, so I assume there will be less of a Bradley effect there. But this would be quite a turnaround for California since they kicked out 3 anti death penalty Supreme Court Judges in 1986, include the Chief Justice by a 2-1 margin.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 12:56:58 AM »

In addition to the obvious moral issues, abolishing could help California's budget issues a bit. Definitely would be the smart thing to do.

The summary from the Secretary of State does say that it will save tens of millions a year, which should offset the one time cost of the $100 million fund.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 01:01:04 AM »

Yeah, if this is the actual ballot question then it might have a good chance to pass.

Unless support for replacing the DP with LIP W/O COP overpolls like Gay Marriage in 2008 ...

Wording can help, but then Attorney General Jerry Brown renaming the title of Prop. 8 from "California Marriage Protection Act" to "Eliminates Rights of Same-Sex Couples to Marry. Initiative Constitutional Amendment" didn't stop it from passing.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 01:19:46 AM »

LOL:

Seen in front of St. Quentin prison.

The answer is almost for sure: Yes. That's one of the reasons why I didn't like Schwarzenegger as Governor. And I'm pretty sure he would have executed an Austrian citizen if he'd been convicted of homicide and the execution date had been set.

Arnold's actions would depend on whether they are the son of the Speaker of the State Assembly.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:53:23 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2012, 12:56:33 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

So it hasn't officially qualified yet, but it looks like we'll also have a 3 strikes reform on the November ballot. It's probably got a better chance of passing than the death penalty repeal, although voters did reject a similar Proposition several years ago. The 2010 Republican nominee for Attorney General supports the Proposition.

3 strikes reform would probably save significantly more money than the death penalty repeal. Arnold opposed it. He certainly did quite a lot of fiscally short-sighted things that came around to bite him in the ass.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 09:32:17 PM »

Hispanics tend to be pretty tough on crime issues.

I hardly think that locking a pizza thief up for 25 years while dangerous criminals roam the street is being tough on crime.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 09:02:45 PM »

Prop. 34 narrowly trails 45.5-46.7.

http://www.cbrt.org/initiative-survey-series-2012/
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies