Romney campaign warns of "Soviet" threat, talks about "Czechoslovakia"!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:44:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney campaign warns of "Soviet" threat, talks about "Czechoslovakia"!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney campaign warns of "Soviet" threat, talks about "Czechoslovakia"!  (Read 3304 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »

Must be part of the strategy to win the youth vote.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/04/romney-campaign-brackets-biden-foreign-policy-speech-by-warning-of-soviet-threat.php?ref=fpa

Romney and his surrogates have revealed an ongoing Cold War fixation. Former Reagan Navy Secretary John Lehman and former Bush administration Ambassador Pierre Prosper, on Thursday derailed Romney messaging in a conference call with reporters by raising the specter of the “Soviet Union” and slamming Obama for not protecting Czechoslovakia — a country that was peacefully dissolved in 1993 and now exists as the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Obama is “withdrawing from leading the free world in maintaining stability around the world,” Lehman said. “What Obama calls ‘leading from behind.’”
One of the worst examples, according to Lehman, is happening at the top of the world.
“We’re seeing the Soviets pushing into the Arctic with no response from us. In fact, the only response is to announce the early retirement of the last remaining icebreaker.”

Prosper warned Obama was abandoning America’s eastern European allies — some of which haven’t existed for decades.

“You know, Russia is another example where we give and Russia gets and we get nothing in return,” Prosper said. “The United States abandoned its missile defense sites in Poland and Czechoslovakia, yet Russia does nothing but obstruct us, or efforts in Iran and Syria.”
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 12:06:30 PM »

Talk about dating yourself.........
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 12:27:06 PM »

To be fair, people often times say Czechoslovakia when they mean to say the Czech Republic. Also, I think he deliberately refereed to the Russians as the "Soviets" to raise old Cold War fears about Russian influence.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 01:48:53 PM »

The Soviet part is deliberate. It is basically claiming that Russia is gunning around like the good old days and Obama is rolling over for them.

As for Czechoslovakia, it rolls off the tongue far easier then "the Czech Republic" and probably just slipped out.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 02:01:04 PM »

It's still dishonest to refer to Russians as 'the Soviets'.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 02:01:55 PM »

... ever heard of politics?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 02:17:17 PM »

It's still dishonest to refer to Russians as 'the Soviets'.

What do you think most "campaigning" is?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 02:30:38 PM »

Calling Russia "the Soviets" is a fairly common slip of the tongue for people who grew up during the Cold War - my dad does it all the time (and yes, he's aware the Soviet Union is no more).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 04:15:12 PM »

link

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Howard Dean, December 2003
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 04:32:26 PM »

Well, as long as he doesn't start to refer to Germany as "the Nazis"... Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »

Calling Russia "the Soviets" is a fairly common slip of the tongue for people who grew up during the Cold War - my dad does it all the time (and yes, he's aware the Soviet Union is no more).

Funny. In my part of the world, where people older than me actually remembers the communism, I haven't heard anyone calling Russia "the Soviets". Not to mention Czechoslovakia stuff, lol.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »

People here speak of Czechoslovakia all the time, which is odd especially considering that a good deal of my peers, who use the term, were not even born while it was extant... I suppose many have been taught they have "Czechoslovakian" backgrounds and thus think in those terms. In any case, "Czech Republic" is an odd term to me, but the alternative "Czechia" seems even odder to Anglophone ears, which is bizarre considering almost every other language uses its equivalent when speaking of the country. Why has this become the case?

Soviet Union... perhaps this is his Palin moment.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 05:38:52 PM »

Funny. In my part of the world, where people older than me actually remembers the communism, I haven't heard anyone calling Russia "the Soviets".

Because in your part of the world, they know Russia Smiley)

You know, my grandma lived a long life. So, by the end, she was, actually, calling Moscow streets by their current names - when everybody else had to re-learn them anew. She had never switched in the first place: Marx Prospect for her had always been Hunters' Row Smiley)
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »

These gaffes won't go over well in Leningrad. You don't hear them saying "Soviet" in Bombay or Peking.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »

To be fair, OLD people often times say Czechoslovakia when they mean to say the Czech Republic. Also, I think he deliberately refereed to the Russians as the "Soviets" to raise old people's Cold War fears about Russian influence.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 06:15:08 PM »

To be fair, OLD people often times say Czechoslovakia when they mean to say the Czech Republic. Also, I think he deliberately refereed to the Russians as the "Soviets" to raise old people's Cold War fears about Russian influence.

I don't know about that.  Like Simfan, I've also heard a lot of people in their 20s say "Czechoslovakia" rather than "Czech Republic."
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 06:39:22 PM »

Part of the problem is thar Czechia is too similar to Chechnya to ever catch on.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 06:45:24 PM »

As for Czechoslovakia, it rolls off the tongue far easier then "the Czech Republic" and probably just slipped out.

No, it really doesn't, though admittedly it does sound cooler.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 06:47:59 PM »

These gaffes won't go over well in Leningrad. You don't hear them saying "Soviet" in Bombay or Peking.

While not what you meant, Leningrad Oblast has retained its name, a Bombay, New York, exists as do the asteroids 2045 Peking and 2046 Leningrad.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 12:54:44 AM »

No, but the people in Paris say "Pékin," while those in Madrid say "Pekín," and the people in Rome say "Pechino."  I wonder when China is going to tell them to get with the times?

Tongue
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 09:25:31 AM »

Czechoslovakia, even if it is factually incorrect (because Slovakia's now its own country) sounds better than the Czech Republic.

Calling Russia the Soviet Union is a bit of a fail though, however this is coming from someone that was born after the cold war.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 10:36:07 AM »

In Leningrad province? Or at Leningrad station? Why? What's the problem?

And I will certainly insist on saying Bombay till I die Smiley)

BTW, in Russian it's Пекин. Beijing is just a way to transliterate - and you don't do this consistently. Or else, it would have been Taibei (same character is involved, means "North").

The problem w/ Czechoslovakia, though, isn't a name change: it's a different country.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies