Pot legalization actually passed in Colorado Springs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:33:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Pot legalization actually passed in Colorado Springs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pot legalization actually passed in Colorado Springs?  (Read 767 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »

El Paso County was 50.61% Yes-49.39% No. The city usually votes around slightly less than three points more Democratic than the county, so assuming that correlation you have around 52% Yes. Hmmm....

Won't know without actual precinct results, but quite notable.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »

Evangelicals aren't nearly as against pot legalization as they are same-sex marriage/abortion. Didn't Pat Robertson say he supported it a while back?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 02:27:47 PM »

Evangelicals aren't nearly as against pot legalization as they are same-sex marriage/abortion. Didn't Pat Robertson say he supported it a while back?

Well yes I noted in another thread that 33% supported it in some poll.

Here's a likely reason though: Colorado Springs is primarily an Air Force city, and I can't think of any demographics more likely to vote Romney/Yes on pot legalization than military.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 05:10:28 PM »

and I can't think of any demographics more likely to vote Romney/Yes on pot legalization than military.

why's that??
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 05:18:45 PM »

and I can't think of any demographics more likely to vote Romney/Yes on pot legalization than military.

why's that??

Disproportionately male, younger in age, known for drug use and vices when they get can away with it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »

why's that??

Disproportionately male, younger in age, known for drug use and vices when they get can away with it.

However, this is the Academy we're speaking of.  Future officers who are likely to make a career of this and not simply a single term to get some college dough.  Granted it's been a while, but the armed forces went through a bad patch at the start of the all volunteer military with drug use and other problems, so I can't see the military being tolerant of pot use within the ranks.  Granted, marijuana is the least problematic of legal drugs, but still ...  Also, those air force types who are registered to vote there are more likely to be career military rather than short timers who intend to go back home after serving a term.  The short timers are likely to be voting absentee back home, if they are voting at all.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 02:20:36 AM »

why's that??

However, this is the Academy we're speaking of.  Future officers who are likely to make a career of this and not simply a single term to get some college dough.  Granted it's been a while, but the armed forces went through a bad patch at the start of the all volunteer military with drug use and other problems, so I can't see the military being tolerant of pot use within the ranks.  Granted, marijuana is the least problematic of legal drugs, but still ...  Also, those air force types who are registered to vote there are more likely to be career military rather than short timers who intend to go back home after serving a term.  The short timers are likely to be voting absentee back home, if they are voting at all.
There is an Army base in Colorado Springs.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 02:54:11 AM »

While devoutly religious folk may be more opposed to legalization than the average, there's really no solid religious foundation for opposing legalization to the extent that one exists for gay marriage.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies