Clarence for President- A New Era
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:47:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Clarence for President- A New Era
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Clarence for President- A New Era  (Read 23392 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2012, 02:29:44 PM »

Senator Clarence on Iran-
"If I am elected President- I will say loud and clear to the Iranian leadership that any attempt- whether successful or not- to use a nuclear weapon on another nation will result in the destruction of the Iranian regime. The Iranian test of a nuclear weapon has proven diplomacy to be a failure...the world looked the other way and willingly bought Iran's lies that their nuclear program was for peaceful intentions. In addition- if Iran were to threaten us or an ally with a nuclear attack- I will order swift military action to render them incapable to follow thru on that threat. Diplomacy has failed- the Iranians have gone nuclear...now we must be firm and make it clear further transgressions will not be tolerated by Atlasia."
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2012, 02:37:45 PM »

Senator Clarence on Iran-
"If I am elected President- I will say loud and clear to the Iranian leadership that any attempt- whether successful or not- to use a nuclear weapon on another nation will result in the destruction of the Iranian regime. The Iranian test of a nuclear weapon has proven diplomacy to be a failure...the world looked the other way and willingly bought Iran's lies that their nuclear program was for peaceful intentions. In addition- if Iran were to threaten us or an ally with a nuclear attack- I will order swift military action to render them incapable to follow thru on that threat. Diplomacy has failed- the Iranians have gone nuclear...now we must be firm and make it clear further transgressions will not be tolerated by Atlasia."

I fundamentally agree with most, if not all, of this, but feel that making such statements at this point in the diplomatic process could increase tensions in the region. Iran already knows we would respond with force if they attacked us or an ally; however, making such belligerent proclamations only serves to drive them away from the negotiating table.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »

Right SJoyceFla- we have a respectful disagreement on the last point- I believe diplomacy failed to stop them from acquiring nukes and would fail to stop them from using them...
What has incrased tensions in the region is not any statement we could make, but the Iranian's test of a nuclear weapon!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2012, 09:58:06 PM »

Folks- tomorrow is Memorial Day and Tuesday I leave with my beautiful lady friend (perhaps soon fiancee....) for nearly three weeks in Europe. I will have internet access- I'll use it to Skype with my family while away...I'll therefore be on the web maybe once a day but I hope you understand that I will be focused on the trip and hooking up with family
This campaign will continue- I will participate in any debates we have and will aim to respond to any questions. Frankly- you all know me, you know my views, you know my opponents, you know theirs! I don't believe my vacation will be a hindrance to this campaign and if in the event it is- I have an outsanding running mate and a helluva campaign chairman to hold down the fort!

clarence
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2012, 09:59:33 PM »

Good luck for when you pop the question. Smiley
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2012, 10:01:23 PM »

Thank you- Scott :-)
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2012, 10:07:03 PM »

Best of luck Smiley Real life always comes before the game Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2012, 10:09:10 PM »

Have fun!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2012, 10:12:11 PM »

Good luck, have fun, etc!
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2012, 03:39:14 AM »

Have a great trip. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2012, 04:08:33 AM »

Atlasia should be the last thing on your mind... Wink
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2012, 06:50:03 AM »

Y'all hitting rain delays cause of Beryl?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2012, 09:48:02 PM »

Y'all hitting rain delays cause of Beryl?
Shouldn't be a problem- flying out of Orlando tomorrow evening

To everyone- thank you!!!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2012, 05:08:45 PM »

Yelnoc and I are proud to endorse Oakvale for 2nd preference- this was made after 20RP12 left the race but I wanted to make this clear now... he has shown he has the temperament and willingess and ability to work with others across the aisle and be an effective leader...though we disagree on much and it will become clear- I will be happy to place him second on my ballot and urge my supporters to do the same
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »

Thank you very much for those kind words, Clarence. I'm honoured to have your support for second. Smiley While, like you said, we doubtless disagree on many things, I think it's great that we can have an adult conversation about the future of the country. I look forward to the debates. Hope your Europe trip is going well! Smiley
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2012, 02:41:59 AM »

Back full-time on Sunday... I look forward to debating my opponents and to speak at the Whig National Convention
Along with the potential next First Lady...
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2012, 06:49:02 AM »

Senator Clarence addresses Whig Convention

You must be logged in to read this quote.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2012, 06:56:52 AM »

Senator Clarence campaigns in Ohio

.....Heckler with McCain sign booted from rally
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2012, 10:58:27 AM »

Senator Clarence campaigns in Pennsylvania

In other news... Senator Clarence's attempts to Photo-shop earn him an exhibit at the museum for abstract art
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2012, 11:21:48 AM »

In other news... Senator Clarence's attempts to Photo-shop earn him an exhibit at the museum for abstract art

This is brilliant.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2012, 11:55:26 AM »

This is brilliant.

My thoughts exactly.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2012, 09:14:13 PM »

This is brilliant.

My thoughts exactly.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2012, 07:33:02 AM »

I'd like to respond to a few ideas Napoleon laid out. I respect and appreciate the fact that he puts forward these ideas, and I look forward to discussing them- but I believe it is my obligation as his opponent to point out why I found some paticularly disagreeable...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

National university- I find no justification for this massive waste of taxpayer dollars. For starters- we already have some national universities- our military academies and military graduate schools such as the Naval and Army War Colleges. These are provided to accepted students free of charge and have a well-paying guaranteed career as the result. In addition- I see no evidence that students' needs are not being met by the current university systems in the regions and private schools- and I certainly don't see a way those needs couldn't be alleviated thru those systems... I'd be keen to hear Governor Napoleon's reasoning here

Tips/commissions- I just did a basic research on this issue thru the Google search- and found that law currently states that when tips or commissions do not bring that worker's wage to minimum wage, their superior is required to bring that up. The problem is- they occasioanlly don't do that. I'd be keen explore ways to ensure that happens with you, but don't believe legally raising the minimum wage for these workers would have any positive impact for thier employment, or prices at food service establishments

Drone warfare- I'm not sure if you are referencing the drones themselves or the ability to target our own citizens. The second is a legitimate point I believe- but as an ardent supporter of drone warfare, I don't believ ethe first is. Drones are a method of pursuing our enemies without placing any of our lives at risk. AS I said in the Presidential Debate to a question from angus- I would rather see a young Second Lieutenant in the Air Force pilot an aircraft from a Las Vegas control room then from the cockpit over Damascus (this was in regards to a potential Syria conflict).  Drone warfare is the solution to nationbuilding conflicts which result in our troops being killed while performing police functions...it saves the lives of the men and women in our armed services and I strongly support it and do not see any moral hazard beyond the possibility to target our own citizens...which is a legitimate criticism and one we need to set very clear standards for
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2012, 08:43:05 AM »

Clarence, I share Napoleon's concern about drone wafare, but you don't directly address the reason for my concern in your statement. Namely, I'm concerned that war will become too politically palatable for us when going to war doesn't involve placing Atlasian lives at risk. I don't trust politicians to take armed conflict as seriously when we're not risking our own blood, nor do I trust the public to hold them accountable for their actions, however destructive the may be. I'd be interested in hearing your take on this.
This is a concern I share also... during an aerial strike, civilian lives hang in the balance and to think of it being treated like a video game is very concerning. To answer your question- I believe we need to distinguish between the War on Terror and historical wars. The difference between the War on Terror and- for example- WWII is the diference between low intensity conflict and high intensity conflict. What's the difference you may ask....

Low intensity conflict essentially covers everything our special operators do- the SEALs, the "Green Berets", Delta Force, air commandos, if you include the Rangers them also, etc... You probably ask- "How could you consider a Navy SEAL operation low-intensity?" It involves the definition of that type of warfare. Low intensity conflict involves a very limited target and exceptional restraint to prevent a broader battle. When the Somali pirates took a ship's captain hostage a short while back, we didn't send a fleet...we sent a destroyer and a frigate, with a SEAL team on board. The reason is simple- the pirates would've executed the captain had we used overwhelming force, so it was crucial to use very limited, targeted force. Three shots were fired in that conflict- all three were fatal and were fired after the three pirates showed signs of aggression

I believe the use of drone warfare ought to be limited to two situations- low intensity conflict and the disability of air defense. Disabling an enemy's anti-aircraft artillery is crucial to save our pilots' lives at the start of conflict. Outside of these two circumstances- I'd be hesitant to allow for drone warfare. I'd even be open to legislation specifying the circumstances it can be used. However- I would much prefer the use of drone warfare to nationbuilding and I believe you would also... consider Afghanistan. Our targets there are limited- al Qaeda and the Taliban remnants who support them. Why do we need thousands upon thousands of troops on the ground- performing the duties of a policeman and inviting aggression and hostility from the Afghans??? If we pursued drone warfare instead, the Afghan people would likely never see a single one of our troops, but we could effectively and precisely eliminate those who are planning terror attacks and disable the network which gives them shelter

To summarize- I believe the use of drone warfare would not only save the lives of our men and women- but it would keep the intensity of all combat down and prevent broader wars- with far more lives lost to our troops and their civilians- from being necessary
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2012, 08:50:48 AM »

Thank you, Clarence. That was a satisfying response. I suspect that I'd be comfortable with your treatment of this issue. (I'm not sure of Napoleon's exact stance, but I suspect that it isn't terribly different from what you just outlined.)
I appreciate all of your questions, Nix- I'm always delighted to discuss the issues...that's why I'm on this board! :-)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies