Jimmy Carter would be "comfortable" with a President Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:31:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Jimmy Carter would be "comfortable" with a President Romney
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: You too ?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Jimmy Carter would be "comfortable" with a President Romney  (Read 6888 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »

If Obama really wants to screw with Republicans' heads, he'll get Carter, Mondale and Dukakis to endorse Romney and air a bunch of ads that say things like...

"Mitt Romney's innovative healthcare plan inspired President Obama to enact a similar program nationwide."

"Former Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis says, 'As a fellow Massachusetts governor and presidential candidate, I feel like Mitt Romney is someone I can identify with and relate to."

"Former Vice President Walter Mondale says, 'Mitt Romney said himself that he was an independent during the Reagan/Bush years, which means there's a good chance he voted for me in 1984. In 2012, I'm returning the favor and endorsing Mitt Romney for president.'"

"Mitt Romney bravely stood for progressive ideals and enacted stricter requirements to purchase firearms as governor. Mitt Romney - competent, progressive leadership for America."

I f****n love it! Of course most Republicans will vote for Romney because he's not Obama and has the (R) next to his name, but his past is gonna haunt him. Romney is so arrogant in thinking that the GOP is just going to forgive him for the less than conservative things he supported and enacted in the past. It's as if he thinks yall are stupid enough to just believe all the spin. He's going to be in for a surprise this November when he realizes that all the money in the world can't buy him moderates, or even many in his own party.

Or maybe he'll find it funny, since, you know, many of his dinner table events were famous for involving humor of one kind or another...

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 06:15:07 AM »

Naive fool.  Why do so many liberals here like this guy?

Because he looks sane (relatively) due to the people he's been on a debate stage with being who they were (Bachmann, Perry, Santorum, Gingrich, Cain). It makes him look like a voice of moderation and sanity.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 07:15:27 AM »

Would I be upset if Romney wins? Sure, but I wouldn't be filled with the abject terror that Santorum or Gingrich wins would have filed me with.

Romney is so without principles that it he'd do whatever is most practical.

It'd be a pretty uneventful presidency (not BushII awful, but certainly BushI), but nothing compared to the train-wrecks of the GOP alternatives...

I've said this for the last year, Romney is NOT, repeat NOT Regan 2.0... but George H. W. Bush 2.0.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 07:31:32 AM »

LOL.

No. Sorry Winfield. I still love you. Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 09:19:31 AM »

Have you ever for a second thought about being intellectually honest, or is the appeal of moderation too great?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 09:57:40 AM »

Which Mid-East peace agreement is still in place after more than 30 years?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 10:02:41 AM »

I really can't think of a policy that Carter enacted that is neoliberal. I even opened wikipedia to help me.

Carter was not a theoretical neoliberal, but he could be described as a pragmatic one.  He pushed for a lot of deregulation.  His foreign policy was largely defined in terms of rule of law instead of rule of arms.
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 01:35:19 PM »

If there was a Dem dominated Congress but we all know that the Republicans will carry off Romney to the right like ants dismantling carrion in the forest.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 07:26:05 PM »

This is why the dems have been moving away from flip-flopper to extemist. For many people, they assume Romney is really a moderate technocrat who has been lying every day to appease crazy right wingers. So calling him a flip flopper doesnt hurt and in a weird way can actually help, to say the "real" Romney is the old more liberal Romney. That is the one Carter likes. I actually like Romney before he ran in 2008, I thought he was going to run for pres as he governed, but he rebranded himself and now i dont know what the f he believes in
perdedor

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 08:47:20 PM »

Jimmy Carter is a gentleman. Something tells me that he is just being polite.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2012, 10:10:12 AM »

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 10:44:27 AM »

Jimmy Carter is an intelligent man.  Something tells me he is just being sensible.
perdedor

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 10:52:11 AM »

Jimmy Carter is an intelligent man.  Something tells me he is just being sensible.

I would die laughing if this is how Republicans chose to handle this. A man that was reviled as the "worst President of all time" and a "case study in the failures of liberalism" for over 30 years is now a sensible, intelligent man...I would love to hear the spin on this. Unfortunately, Republicans don't seem very eager to touch on this.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2012, 10:57:45 AM »

Carter may not have been the best President, but nobody can question his incredible intelligence.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2012, 11:05:27 AM »

Screw carter.  If you're there, President Carter, please stop trying to re-insert yourself into politics.  This isn't trolling, I'm serious, he was president thirty years ago.  MOVE ON JIMMY!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2012, 11:12:05 AM »

Whether Carter was President 30 years ago or 6 years a go, he was still President, and he is still an American, and as an American, he still has the right to express his opinions and views on what is happening currently in America.

So lay off President Carter.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2012, 11:19:46 AM »

He was laid off thirty years ago.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »

If you want a good example of how to handle yourself once out of office, take a look at W. He could say a lot of things about Obama, but he doesn't.

He handles himself with dignity and respect. Carter sometimes oversteps his bounds.
perdedor

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2012, 11:39:40 AM »

Carter may not have been the best President, but nobody can question his incredible intelligence.

Except every conservative lay man with a passing interesting in politics since 1977..
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2012, 11:50:08 AM »

The beauty of America, unlike Syria, is that people are free to speak their minds without fear of being bombarded by heavy artillery.     
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »

This.  I didn't mean anything by it, I just think its time he retire.  I would want to as well.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2012, 01:12:45 PM »

James "Jimmy" Carter was highly uncomfortable with Ronald "Dutch" Reagan being President, and entirely comfortable with Willard "Mitt" Romney being President.  That just about says it all.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2012, 07:56:11 PM »

James "Jimmy" Carter was highly uncomfortable with Ronald "Dutch" Reagan being President, and entirely comfortable with Willard "Mitt" Romney being President.  That just about says it all.

After four years of Obama, any reasonable person, even somebody as weak and misguided as Carter, would be comfortable with Mitt Romney defeating Obama.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2012, 08:00:40 PM »

That's a dumb comment. You'd think the President with the best job growth rate of the last 40 years would know better.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2012, 08:05:28 AM »

No, I would not be comfortable with President Romney.

To be honest, I'd be far more comfortable with President Santorum or Paul, only because they are proved nuts, but at least I know where they stand.

Where does Mitt Romney really stand?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies