SENATE BILL: Atlasian Arts Advocation Act of 2012 (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:32:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Atlasian Arts Advocation Act of 2012 (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Atlasian Arts Advocation Act of 2012 (Law'd)  (Read 5473 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2012, 07:45:29 PM »
« edited: May 20, 2012, 05:44:56 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Scott
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »

Another Jake Matthews bill, hopefully one that finally wont cause hell for the President. Tongue
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »

Gentlemen,

I rise today to defend a bill that I believe allocates funds to a worthy cause. It is no secret that the forms of art outlines in the bill may be one of the last beautiful things about Atlasian culture. Mere men can become gods, and zeroes can become heroes. I ask you all to support this bill in defense of our culture and our world at large. Thank you.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 08:08:52 PM »

Only $150 million?  Is that enough to do anything with?
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 08:11:54 PM »

Only $150 million?  Is that enough to do anything with?

Gradually increase funding maybe?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 08:14:39 PM »

Not sure if I'm going to vote for this unless there are provisions that will cut spending or increase revenues added.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 05:09:30 AM »

Not sure if I'm going to vote for this unless there are provisions that will cut spending or increase revenues added.

Perhaps someone could propose an amendment to cut spending Smiley Perhaps from the national healthcare system? Why not just privatize it while we're at it Cheesy
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 06:06:21 AM »

Perhaps someone could propose an amendment to cut spending Smiley Perhaps from the national healthcare system? Why not just privatize it while we're at it Cheesy

Health care is definitely a higher priority than art, so I don't think that would be the best idea.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 06:08:51 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2012, 06:11:14 AM by Governor Napoleon »

The Senate is working on reducing costs for national healthcare. I do think consideration should be given to my region's population when distributing funds among regions.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 06:35:17 AM »

As I said when I first saw this bill, we should be aiming for less govt spending, not more. I was surprised to see this come from 20RP12- soem one who believes in smaller govt. This isn't as egregious as the Broadcaster bill, but it puts govt where it doesn't belong. Let the arts thrive privately-
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 07:40:15 AM »

Government is the one cutting funds from the arts locally in schools. This bill seeks to keep the art industry afloat. Some Government spending is necessary, just so long as it doesn't come with a tax increase. What, in the opinion of the Senate, is the least necessary area of Government spending? Or at least the area in which can have spending cut most comfortably?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 08:10:29 AM »

Government is the one cutting funds from the arts locally in schools. This bill seeks to keep the art industry afloat. Some Government spending is necessary, just so long as it doesn't come with a tax increase. What, in the opinion of the Senate, is the least necessary area of Government spending? Or at least the area in which can have spending cut most comfortably?
20RP12- you are a very good person but I find your view on this hypocritical...when I asked you about this weeks ago I asked why you supported cuts almost every where in govt but supported the national govt financing the arts... you replied that it was because you were an artist and it was importnat to you. That is fine- but that is the mentality that gets spending out of control...people have their important babies that they want to boost funding for. That's what concerns me...
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 08:15:40 AM »

I understand completely. Look, everyone has something they either want to boost spending to or leave it alone. You have defense and foreign policy, I have the arts. I don't agree that Government spending is something that should be done everywhere and I agree that if this bill passes, it should only with an amendment to cut spending somewhere else. This is an important issue to me because culture is something that makes or breaks a nation, in my opinion.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 08:20:55 AM »

I agree and don't want to circle the wagon here, but since when does culture come from the government? Paintings, books, music, movies- does the government subsidize Hollywood? Was Twain receiving a stipend from Washington to write Huckleberry Finn? Did Motown originate in a line item?

Culture flourishes in this nation- a $150 million line item or not won't affect it...it will just insert government into culture. I know this happens in reality- but I believe culture should be out of government's intervention

I find this a very interesting disucssion and I also understand your point and where you are coming from completely :-)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »

I am an artist too, but as Clarence said, culture does not come from government.  If this bill were geared toward, perhaps, saving the jobs of educators (which would, of course, include art teachers), then I would be more likely to support this or even incorporate it into my education reform plan.  This bill should be at least improved so that it can do something that helps us economically.  Art itself is a product of the imagination, not of government.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 02:41:55 PM »

LOL, Of course the government subsidizes Hollywood! Really?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 07:33:51 PM »

Instead of just posting "LOL" and denying what I said like a jerkoff, how about you provide some evidence to back yourself up... not saying you're mistaken- just saying you're a douchebag
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 07:35:19 PM »

Instead of just posting "LOL" and denying what I said like a jerkoff, how about you provide some evidence to back yourself up... not saying you're mistaken- just saying you're a douchebag
Calling names is inappropriate.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 07:36:31 PM »

Calling names is inappropriate.
LOL- you think calling names is inappropriate- really?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 07:53:52 PM »

I would strongly encourage the refraining from engaging in conductor un becoming of Senate decorum when engaging in debate on the Senate floor. This applies to both sitting Senators and respected statemen who aren't Senators but are engaging in the discourse on the matter of a pending bill.

Senator NC Yankee,
President Pro-Tempore.

Now can I please get a god damn sponsor for this damn bill. It takes 72 hours to assign sponsorship to someone.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 08:58:31 AM »

This is why the game is dying. We can't have a simple debate without somebody calling somebody else a name.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »

This is why the game is dying. We can't have a simple debate without somebody calling somebody else a name.
For the record- I apologized to Napoleon... had a rough evening last night due to some issues with my daughter
However- I'd say the game is dying for many reasons other then this and I get called a fascist or racist far more then I call others a douchebag
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 09:41:39 AM »

You are not the only one calling people names, Clarence, and that is what I'm getting at. Everyone needs to stop calling someone else a name. It's childish and deplorable.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 06:50:45 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2012, 06:53:25 PM by President Polnut »

Guys...

Government has always had, in recent years, a role in the advocacy of arts and culture.

Now, let's get some things clear.

I will support a Bill which will provide a support 'mechanism' for arts and culture in this country and abroad. However, I don't support a blanket $x per region approach on this matter. We need milestones and principles, not just, here's a bucket of money, go nuts.

The arts and cultural scene of this country represent who we are, warts and all. Senator Clarence is someone I have the highest respect for, but I happen to think he's wrong on this front. There is a quote attributed to Winston Churchill, during the war, when the country was near bankrupt he was told to cut funding to the arts and close theatres. Churchill resisted closing theatres and apparently responded to this suggestion with "then what are we fighting for?". When times are tough, the low-hanging fruit always cops it first. The arts are easy to dismiss or brush off as unimportant. But its role in culture and society is almost without equal and the state has always been a patron.

I should stress however, that doesn't mean I will sign anything.

I would urge a sponsor come forward and an amendment be put together that addresses a bigger issue than just dumping money.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 06:58:18 PM »

I respect the President and his comments...I'd be keen to see an amendment from the sponsor or a friendly Senator along the lines he was discussing
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies