SENATE BILL: Atlasian Arts Advocation Act of 2012 (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:42:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Atlasian Arts Advocation Act of 2012 (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Atlasian Arts Advocation Act of 2012 (Law'd)  (Read 5551 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: April 29, 2012, 06:50:45 PM »
« edited: April 29, 2012, 06:53:25 PM by President Polnut »

Guys...

Government has always had, in recent years, a role in the advocacy of arts and culture.

Now, let's get some things clear.

I will support a Bill which will provide a support 'mechanism' for arts and culture in this country and abroad. However, I don't support a blanket $x per region approach on this matter. We need milestones and principles, not just, here's a bucket of money, go nuts.

The arts and cultural scene of this country represent who we are, warts and all. Senator Clarence is someone I have the highest respect for, but I happen to think he's wrong on this front. There is a quote attributed to Winston Churchill, during the war, when the country was near bankrupt he was told to cut funding to the arts and close theatres. Churchill resisted closing theatres and apparently responded to this suggestion with "then what are we fighting for?". When times are tough, the low-hanging fruit always cops it first. The arts are easy to dismiss or brush off as unimportant. But its role in culture and society is almost without equal and the state has always been a patron.

I should stress however, that doesn't mean I will sign anything.

I would urge a sponsor come forward and an amendment be put together that addresses a bigger issue than just dumping money.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:08:41 PM »

Isn't $150m per region a lot for just those teachers?

I need to read over this, I may suggest an amendment shortly.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:38:03 PM »

I would suggest a $145 million package over 3 years

$40 million to be directed toward the regions for the recruitment and retention of art/music teachers ($10m yr 1 - $15m yr 2 - $15m yr3)

$50 million for resources - ie supplies and school infrastructure ($15m yr 1, $20m yr 2, $15m yr 3)

$30 million for a national arts program - festivals etc ($5m yr 1, $10m yr 2, $15m yr 3)

$25 million to grants and low-interest loans for arts projects ($8m yr 1, $8m yr 2, $9m yr 3)

Helps deliver, without too much Budgetary impacts.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:06:36 PM »

I will oppose anything beyond the recruitment and retention of art and music teachers- that clause provides jobs for people, the others are throwing money for festivals and art projects which are not critical spending

How does the construction of music and art rooms, the sale of supplies, the economic activity for local businesses that come about from festivals... not help the economy and create jobs?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 09:26:01 PM »

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies