SCOTUS Scenario #1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:06:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  SCOTUS Scenario #1
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Same-sex marriage finally reaches the Supreme Court.  How is it ruled?
Restrictions on same-sex marriage are unconstitutional; same-sex marriage legal nationwide

Restrictions on same-sex marriage are constitutional; no change

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: SCOTUS Scenario #1  (Read 2333 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2012, 01:53:29 PM »

Discuss.

Please only vote on what you think would happen under the current judges, not what you want to happen.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 01:59:48 PM »

With the current reactionary craphole we have as a SCOTUS ? No chance.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 02:53:47 PM »

Probably uphold restrictions on same-sex marriage.  I could possibly see Kennedy finding a right to civil unions, and in the process overturning the procedural portions of DOMA, but that's more because Kennedy likes to judge the law as if he were Jack Horner looking after some pies in the corner.  He rarely resists sticking his hand in.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 03:02:47 PM »

What I believe should happen? Option 1. What I think would happen? Option 2.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 05:53:18 PM »

Option 2 -in other words, maintaining the status quo with gay marriage advocates remaining tethered to the will of each individual state.  
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 06:07:33 PM »

Option 1 would rape states rights, while Option 2 allows gay marriage to slowly insert itself across the country state by state.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »

Option 1 would rape states rights, while Option 2 allows gay marriage to slowly insert itself across the country state by state.

Equal rights trump states rights.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 09:38:38 PM »

It is not really fair to force gay marriage down the throats of those who do not want it. Let each state do it; if gays cannot get married in Ohio, then gays should not move to Ohio. Simple solution in my opinion. I favor gay marriage at a state level here in Florida. But just because I favor it in Florida does not give me the right to force it down in Wyoming.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 09:47:04 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2012, 09:51:19 PM by Senator Scott »

It is not really fair to force gay marriage down the throats of those who do not want it. Let each state do it; if gays cannot get married in Ohio, then gays should not move to Ohio. Simple solution in my opinion. I favor gay marriage at a state level here in Florida. But just because I favor it in Florida does not give me the right to force it down in Wyoming.

But it's also not fair to tell a same-sex couple that they cannot be legally recognized simply because others in the state don't like it.  If a person is against gay marriage, they have the right to not marry a gay person or even associate themselves with homosexuals; it is none of their business, and the sacramental recognition of marriage can be left to the churches to decide on.  But telling a person to simply move out of their state because their current state doesn't treat them as equals is no better than telling a black person to move out of the South if they don't like Jim Crow.  Not everyone can easily move where they want to, and they shouldn't have to feel obligated to just because the law is unfair to them.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 01:45:20 PM »

While I believe in equal protection under the law, states rights trump and natural law trumps states rights. In other words option 2. The  Federal government has NO right to encroach upon this most personal of human matters. The states will ban it. Even the ones who the judges have forced it upon the people against the will of the people (California). Indiana's soon coming ban will be upheld.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 02:09:29 PM »

While I believe in equal protection under the law, states rights trump and natural law trumps states rights. In other words option 2. The  Federal government has NO right to encroach upon this most personal of human matters. The states will ban it. Even the ones who the judges have forced it upon the people against the will of the people (California). Indiana's soon coming ban will be upheld.

So surely you believe heterosexual marriage should be prohibited in a state if the state desires to prohibit it, yes? Smiley

And sorry to tell you, but the numbers suggest that Californians are now opposed to constitutional bans on gay marriage, contrary to four years ago.  Your side's position of this issue is becoming less popular each year, and that support is not expected to reascend.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 02:21:44 PM »

Other in that I can easily envision Ernest's or a similar scenario.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 02:09:29 PM »

While I believe in equal protection under the law, states rights trump and natural law trumps states rights. In other words option 2. The  Federal government has NO right to encroach upon this most personal of human matters. The states will ban it. Even the ones who the judges have forced it upon the people against the will of the people (California). Indiana's soon coming ban will be upheld.

So surely you believe heterosexual marriage should be prohibited in a state if the state desires to prohibit it, yes? Smiley

And sorry to tell you, but the numbers suggest that Californians are now opposed to constitutional bans on gay marriage, contrary to four years ago.  Your side's position of this issue is becoming less popular each year, and that support is not expected to reascend.

The trend is not in your favor. It's in mine. There's a reason gay marriage don't work. The whole of history bears that out. The reason gay marriage is even bantered about is because we are so liberal about divorce.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 02:21:18 PM »

The trend is not in your favor. It's in mine. There's a reason gay marriage don't work. The whole of history bears that out. The reason gay marriage is even bantered about is because we are so liberal about divorce.

Not so.

There is no evidence proving that same-sex marriage has been proven detrimental in states where it is legal.  And frankly, it is not the State's responsibility to micromanage what people in do in their own lives such as divorce or marry people of the same sex.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies