Why do no Dems here score on the econ right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:58:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why do no Dems here score on the econ right?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do no Dems here score on the econ right?  (Read 3124 times)
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2005, 01:24:00 AM »

Many of us have our political compass scores in our signatures.

There are a few Republicans here who score on the libertarian side of the libertarian/authoritarian scale.  There's even a Republican from Pennsylvania who's even farther left (or down, on the political compass) than I am on the libertarian/authoritarian scale.

There are a few Democrats here who score on the authoritarian side of the libertarian/authoritarian scale.  There is one Republican from California who scores on the left half of the political compass (AND is even in the lower left quadrant).

But I can't think of even one Democrat here in the right half of the political compass.

Are economic issues what divide the Democrats and Republicans here?  I guess too many people missed the memo that everyone else in the country got - the one about voting based on social issues.  Smiley
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 01:25:53 AM »

I dont know.  I just took the test and got this number.  I still believe I am a little further right than my score shows.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 02:29:48 AM »

Gustaf comes to mind. So does Redefeatbush, I think. There are not many.
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 07:35:06 AM »

Generally, people care more about economic than social issues and are more willing to join a party that agrees with their views on economic issues than social issues.  That is why there are socially liberal Republicans like Bullmoose, WalterMitty, and htmldon as well as socially conservative Democrats like Al, DemoHawk and Huck Finn
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 07:50:23 AM »

Generally, people care more about economic than social issues and are more willing to join a party that agrees with their views on economic issues than social issues.  That is why there are socially liberal Republicans like Bullmoose, WalterMitty, and htmldon as well as socially conservative Democrats like Al, DemoHawk and Huck Finn

Very true. What a lot of people (especially in the media) forget, is that Presidential results do not=Partisanship.

Couple of examples:

57% of Kentucky voters are Democrats.
I can't remember the exact figures, but a plurality of Massachusetts voters are Independents.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 10:04:46 PM »

I used to be a Democrat here, and I'm still a registered one.

My score has my as 100% centrist economically, and I may move further to the right.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 10:18:07 PM »

I used to be a Democrat here, and I'm still a registered one.

My score has my as 100% centrist economically, and I may move further to the right.

What was your economic score, before?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 10:19:24 PM »

For awhile it was in the -3's or thereabouts, but it's been moving further and further right.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 10:36:26 PM »

For awhile it was in the -3's or thereabouts, but it's been moving further and further right.

Better be careful.  The next thing you know, you'll have an autographed photo of Tom DeLay.  ;-)
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 03:09:08 PM »

Very true. What a lot of people (especially in the media) forget, is that Presidential results do not=Partisanship.

Couple of examples:

57% of Kentucky voters are Democrats.
I can't remember the exact figures, but a plurality of Massachusetts voters are Independents.

Arkansas is close to that figure of KY's.  (or at least they were within the past couple of years)
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 03:10:50 PM »

And I think I'm much further right than the compass would let on.  Some of their questions are ridiculous:  for instance, what is good for industry is, in the end, good for all of us.  Who on God's green earth answers strongly agree to that?!?!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 04:24:17 PM »

And I think I'm much further right than the compass would let on.  Some of their questions are ridiculous:  for instance, what is good for industry is, in the end, good for all of us.  Who on God's green earth answers strongly agree to that?!?!

That is a major flaw, although some agree to this. On the same cord, it also asks to many questions from The F Scale (that's the bad luck sort of question). Down-to-earth conservatives tend to end up with social scores further to the left than they should be.
Cashcow

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 05:37:48 PM »

I'm almost a Democrat. Almost.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 09:45:39 PM »

where on this site is the test for your political compass?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 10:08:22 PM »

where on this site is the test for your political compass?

politicalcompass.org
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2005, 03:49:29 PM »

ThePrezMexico is a economically right Democrat (+5 I think). He even liked--a little--George Bush.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 03:57:23 PM »

I'm fairly to the right here economically as well (+4.00) for a Democrat.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2005, 11:18:21 AM »

I score -4.88 on the Economic Left/Right dimension but I'm probably a shade to the right of that; however, my score of 0.82 on the Social Libertarian/Authoritarian is probably just about right

So I guess that I'm pretty center-left on economic issues but a touch center-right on social issues

Dave
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2005, 11:04:39 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2005, 11:14:45 PM by TCash101 »

I get close! I'm actually kind of out of the ordinary for a Southern Dem, who usually are more right wing on social and more traditional Dem on economics. I am a Dem for civil rights and civil liberties, NOT for the New Deal or Great Society. I think big business has too big a hold on government, but besides that I am a proud capitalist- for free trade, right to work, private health insurance. I don't like Bush's specific plan on ssec but I'd like to see some market based solutions for  growing the soc sec trust fund.
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 02:57:51 PM »

I get close! I'm actually kind of out of the ordinary for a Southern Dem, who usually are more right wing on social and more traditional Dem on economics. I am a Dem for civil rights and civil liberties, NOT for the New Deal or Great Society. I think big business has too big a hold on government, but besides that I am a proud capitalist- for free trade, right to work, private health insurance. I don't like Bush's specific plan on ssec but I'd like to see some market based solutions for  growing the soc sec trust fund.

Are you a minority?  Typically the only people who hold views like us, more socially liberal than economically liberal, are people that ARE minorities.  I am a Jewish person, myself.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2005, 07:12:38 PM »

Are you a minority?  Typically the only people who hold views like us, more socially liberal than economically liberal, are people that ARE minorities.  I am a Jewish person, myself.

Nope, I'm a WASP male.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2005, 09:03:55 PM »

I think that the test is fundamentally flawed.  Many of the questions are designed to elicit a left-leaning response.

I consider myself to be pretty conservative, both economically and socially.  However, I score only a 1.38 on the Econ scale, and a mere 2.72 on the Soc Lib/Auth scale.

Hell, that places me shoulder to shoulder with Gerhardt Schroeder, and to the left of Jacques Chirac.  WTF?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2005, 09:23:13 PM »

I think that the test is fundamentally flawed.  Many of the questions are designed to elicit a left-leaning response.

It's a bit skewed, but not hugely. I'd say it's a point and a half off at most except in extreme cases.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would not call 2.72 "mere." However, yes, it tends to underestimate people who do not trust big business totally but believe in free trade (like me) and down-to-earth Republicans on the social scale (maybe like you.)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now that part of the site is really screwed up.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 09:40:50 PM »

I might as well be a Democrat

Latest result
Economic Left/Right: +1.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
Pages: [1]