Mitt Romney Says to College Students: "Just Borrow Money from your Parents"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:32:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitt Romney Says to College Students: "Just Borrow Money from your Parents"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Mitt Romney Says to College Students: "Just Borrow Money from your Parents"  (Read 9592 times)
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2012, 09:39:08 AM »

Romney is tone deaf and out of touch with the 99.99% of Americans who aren't multi-millionaires. Yes, Obama is also out of touch with that same group, but  he's at least less out of touch.

It's honestly enough to make one ill at the prospect of those two being elected president.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »

I don't know what's more ridiculous. That the poorest families have $500 sitting around to lend to some random startup, or that said startup has much of a chance of success with only a $500 loan funding it and the person starting it not having the right connections.

I could imagine starting a business with $500,000 in the US, not $500.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2012, 11:20:21 AM »

Even better than getting "loans" from your parents is getting "grants." Tongue

Rich parents puzzle me. One would think they would say, hey, I will pay for your education as long as it seems productive forever, but after that, you don't get a dime baby, and the estate other than for some modest amount will all be going into a foundation or given to charity. Don't plan anything around an expectancy because it just won't be there. What rich parents do tend to do in my experience, in an unfortunately high percentage of cases, tends to leave their kids a dysfunctional sense of entitlement mess.

I don't think opebo would like me too much as a parent. Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2012, 11:26:35 AM »

Rich parents puzzle me. One would think they would say, hey, I will pay for your education as long as it seems productive forever, but after that, you don't get a dime baby, and the estate other than for some modest amount will all be going into a foundation or given to charity.

So, why would they bother having kids then if it just creates more miserable poors?  I suppose if the purpose of having children is some sort of sadism this makes sense, but usually people want their kids to sort of 'carry on' the 'family escutcheon' as a kind of representative of oneself after one dies.  Who wants their escutcheon carried by some poor craven worker bee?  It would be repellant to this class of people and an obvious humiliation to anyone.

I think perhaps you just don't understand breeders, Torie.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »

Rich parents puzzle me. One would think they would say, hey, I will pay for your education as long as it seems productive forever, but after that, you don't get a dime baby, and the estate other than for some modest amount will all be going into a foundation or given to charity.

So, why would they bother having kids then if it just creates more miserable poors?  I suppose if the purpose of having children is some sort of sadism this makes sense, but usually people want their kids to sort of 'carry on' the 'family escutcheon' as a kind of representative of oneself after one dies.  Who wants their escutcheon carried by some poor craven worker bee?  It would be repellant to this class of people and an obvious humiliation to anyone.

I think perhaps you just don't understand breeders, Torie.

Oh, I understand "breeders" well enough, and have seen the results in my practice. It is not pretty. This may shock you, but the idea one would think is to raise kids who will be at once happy and fulfilled productive citizens with a sense of purpose to give meaning to their lives, and given all of their advantages, make a contribution to making this mortal coil a better place. The idea of creating some sort of "dynasty" I guess is one of those upper class  concepts which frankly rather nausiates me. I guess that is an aesthetic preference. But the destructive effects on kids with a sense of entitlement and an expectancy is not about aesthetics so much as simply a real world on the ground observation. It is an empirical statement in short. 
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »

Even better than getting "loans" from your parents is getting "grants." Tongue

Rich parents puzzle me. One would think they would say, hey, I will pay for your education as long as it seems productive forever, but after that, you don't get a dime baby, and the estate other than for some modest amount will all be going into a foundation or given to charity. Don't plan anything around an expectancy because it just won't be there. What rich parents do tend to do in my experience, in an unfortunately high percentage of cases, tends to leave their kids a dysfunctional sense of entitlement mess.

I don't think opebo would like me too much as a parent. Tongue

Torie, I love this post so much, and is what I aim to do as a parent.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »

...the idea one would think is to raise kids who will be at once happy and fulfilled productive citizens with a sense of purpose to give meaning to their lives, and given all of their advantages, make a contribution to making this mortal coil a better place.

So your saying this delusion of 'meaning' automatically results from being a suffering toiler?  It hardly seems a recommendation of the condition.

The idea of creating some sort of "dynasty" I guess is one of those upper class  concepts which frankly rather nausiates me. I guess that is an aesthetic preference.

Well that's rather ungrateful of you, being a rich kid yourself, Torie.  Try to give your progenitors the proper thanks - your position in life is due to your privilege and advantages.

But the destructive effects on kids with a sense of entitlement and an expectancy is not about aesthetics so much as simply a real world on the ground observation. It is an empirical statement in short. 

It could hardly be any more destructive than the grinding misery and humiliation of getting up early every day and going to a job, Torie! 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2012, 10:11:38 PM »

This is so typical of hack Democrats who hate Romney with such a passion that they are willing to take almost everything he says out of context and blow it out of all proportion.

Oh, okay. So if you post an article about Obama then we can say "This is so typical of hack Republicans who hate Obama with such a passion that they are willing to take almost everything he says out of context and blow it out of all proportion."?

The basis of this thread is nothing less than trolling.

It is now trolling to criticize the candidate of the opposing party?

Not for criticizing the candidate of the opposing party, but for making the title of the thread something that is misleading, where the candidate clearly had a much deeper and a much more detailed meaning.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2012, 02:20:15 AM »

Romney is tone deaf and out of touch with the 99.99% of Americans who aren't multi-millionaires. Yes, Obama is also out of touch with that same group, but  he's at least less out of touch.

It's honestly enough to make one ill at the prospect of those two being elected president.

Agreed. It's like the Obama campaign cherry picked the opponent who would actually make Obama seem in touch by comparison.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies