Jury duty (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:46:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Jury duty (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jury duty  (Read 3287 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:20:29 PM »

A few options:

1-Show up drunk to your screening interview.
2-Think from the mindset of those die-hard Paulites you saw at the convention, not exactly the people any prosecutor wants on a jury.
3-Pretend you are Rochambeau at your screening interview.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:22:42 PM »

If Nevada's system is anything like ours, lawyers can object to you being selected based on no grounds whatsoever.

That is the case in the US, but I think they are given a limited number of "no explanation disqualifications".

I got summoned once, but was saved by being a technically out of state college student. I learned that they usually disqualify college students during the school year anyway, because it's difficult to work around a class schedule.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 10:04:13 AM »

I'd only want it if it was some nonsense victimless crime so I could practice nullification, but I'm sure that I would never get selected for such a jury anyway.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 12:55:56 AM »

One of my professors for my law classes, who of course was a licensed attorney herself said that it's mandatory that attorneys be barred from juries and she's been called but ruled ineligible on those grounds. In fact I think I've heard that anyone employed by a law firm is barred from jury duty due to a possible conflict of interest, though in that case non-attorneys become eligible again if they leave their job but anyone who was an attorney is barred for life. Maybe just the law in Minnesota.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 12:18:23 PM »

So wondering, if during a pre-screening interview I went on some rant along the lines of "I think the justice system is bullsh**t, they won't even let me smoke weed!", would that disqualify me from any jury, or just drug cases?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »

So wondering, if during a pre-screening interview I went on some rant along the lines of "I think the justice system is bullsh**t, they won't even let me smoke weed!", would that disqualify me from any jury, or just drug cases?

Also do they do background checks on any prospects? Like let's say in California they find out someone was an active organizer for the Yes on Prop 19 campaign. I think that fact would probably eliminate them from any drug cases.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 10:31:14 PM »

Well there aren't many people who don't believe in jury nullification in the sense they'd never consider it (and honestly anyone who wouldn't is probably damn near a sociopath.) Although I suppose jury nullification as a legal concept goes beyond something like "I'm not going to convict anyone for weed." I don't even know if I'd say I believe in the philosophical principles behind jury nullification, but I'd never convict someone of something that I don't have a problem with and oppose the illegality of. Quite frankly I view it as a bit of a moral issue too, it'd bug my conscience as much as something like turning in my neighbors to the Stasi in the GDR.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies