dead0man's primer for what to wear and when to wear it
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:49:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  dead0man's primer for what to wear and when to wear it
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: dead0man's primer for what to wear and when to wear it  (Read 1190 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:42:21 PM »

If they won't let you in looking like this, it's not worth going to.

the end
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:59:26 PM »

Some things dead zero evidently does not think are worth going to: weddings, funerals, graduation ceremonies, most workplaces, most job interviews, operas, fancy restaurants.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:03:41 AM »

I'll button up for the first three things, I only go to my own workplace, my last interview took place with me wearing camouflage (and the two before that I was wearing flannel) and I'd rather not go to the last two....ever.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 02:35:50 AM »

All the adults I know work at places where you can dress like that.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 08:21:02 AM »

The man in the first photo on the left - in the farmer hat - doesn't look all that badly dressed (of course his trousers are out-of-frame, they may be the blue-jean dungarees).

Its funny to see that the 'hoosier' as we call them in Missouri look hasn't changed - the flannel shirts etc.  I for one always preferred a check or plaid broad cloth shirt to the flannels, and regular slacks or trousers to the dungaree 'blue jeans'.  Finally a nice sweater to top it off.  Not really all that different from your slovenly look, dead0man - just as comfortable, just as warm in those Midwestern cool spells.

Finally I'd just like to say something negative about T-shirts - I know you all practically live in them, and I know they make a good under-shirt in the coldest wintertime, but really they're not a very comfortable item for the most part. 

For sure in very hot weather (such as half the year in Thailand), I find a lightweight, reasonably roomy short-sleeved button-down shirt to be much cooler than a T-shirt or even a polo.  The T-shirt kind of clings to you, whereas the button-down just sort of hands off your shoulders - much cooler.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 11:18:01 AM »

I certainly have never dressed up to a wedding (though I might try to not look my scruffiest), and probably wouldn't want to go the wedding of people who'd expect you to.

As to the idea of "most" workplaces... no disclaimer... the cluelessness of the western middle class young is mindnumbing.

Oh, and operas don't tend to have a dresscode either.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 03:50:58 PM »

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »

who are the people in the first picture?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 04:02:16 PM »

The man in the first photo on the left - in the farmer hat - doesn't look all that badly dressed (of course his trousers are out-of-frame, they may be the blue-jean dungarees).

Its funny to see that the 'hoosier' as we call them in Missouri look hasn't changed - the flannel shirts etc.  I for one always preferred a check or plaid broad cloth shirt to the flannels, and regular slacks or trousers to the dungaree 'blue jeans'.  Finally a nice sweater to top it off.  Not really all that different from your slovenly look, dead0man - just as comfortable, just as warm in those Midwestern cool spells.

Finally I'd just like to say something negative about T-shirts - I know you all practically live in them, and I know they make a good under-shirt in the coldest wintertime, but really they're not a very comfortable item for the most part. 

For sure in very hot weather (such as half the year in Thailand), I find a lightweight, reasonably roomy short-sleeved button-down shirt to be much cooler than a T-shirt or even a polo.  The T-shirt kind of clings to you, whereas the button-down just sort of hands off your shoulders - much cooler.

I agree.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 04:06:11 PM »

Pretty sure that is Muon2 on left and dead0 on right.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 08:36:24 AM »

Pretty sure that is Muon2 on left and dead0 on right.

Correct.

I believe they were either khakis or khaki shorts. I reserve blue jeans for yard work and similar activities.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 03:56:50 PM »

I believe they were either khakis or khaki shorts. I reserve blue jeans for yard work and similar activities.

...I find a lightweight, reasonably roomy short-sleeved button-down shirt to be much cooler than a T-shirt or even a polo.  The T-shirt kind of clings to you, whereas the button-down just sort of hands off your shoulders - much cooler.

I agree.

Well we're not so far apart after all.  Put in a good word for me.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 04:08:47 PM »

dead0 looks a bit like the late StatesRights
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »