Dan Savage on the Bible (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:28:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Dan Savage on the Bible (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dan Savage on the Bible  (Read 10573 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: April 28, 2012, 08:10:23 PM »

Supercilious words from a supercilious HP, citing at one point a considerably more H P.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 08:26:40 PM »

Yeah, the fact that Sam Harris seems to think that slavery should have been the 'easiest moral question' to people living in Bible times says more about Sam Harris's sense of history than it does about the Bible.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:12:58 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2012, 10:35:06 PM by Nathan »

Religious folks are generally insane, but just to varying degrees.

Let's not fool ourselves with unjustified feelings of superiority.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 12:42:26 AM »

It's better than being sane if sanity entails acting like a supercilious little pissant. Maybe examine your own beliefs before you start insulting others'. I'm sure you have some.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:52:05 AM »

It's better than being sane if sanity entails acting like a supercilious little pissant. Maybe examine your own beliefs before you start insulting others'. I'm sure you have some.

Jeez, Christians get so sensitive when the bullsh**t in their 'sacred document' is called out.

Sorry, but no. May I quote to you what you just said?

Sure, crazy people can often do useful things too.  Look at Vincent van Gogh, John Nash, or David Helfgott.  Many crazy people, whether religious or not, can also be completely harmless.  But ultimately, they are invariably nuts.  You'd have to be to believe that well-meaning but often hateful and irrelevant fairy tales are not only true, but also that their message must be imposed on the rest of society.

You didn't 'call out bullsh**t in a document'; you called me and the vast majority of the population of the planet you're living on insane. If you genuinely don't understand the difference there is something much more severely wrong with you than is within my power to even dream of trying to wrap my head around.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 01:04:21 AM »

If I'm insane for believing in a man who preached equality, tolerance, love, charity, forgiveness, and other things both militant atheists and militant fundies don't apparently like, then I don't want to be sane.

Plus the idea of something transhistorical or, dare we hope, eternal, which I'm given to understand is a little hard to wrap one's head around when one is obsessed with the idea of One's Oh-So-Rational Highness' superiority (or One's Oh-So-Pious Highness' superiority).
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 01:08:20 AM »

If I'm insane for believing in a man who preached equality, tolerance, love, charity, forgiveness, and other things both militant atheists and militant fundies don't apparently like, then I don't want to be sane.

You also believe he was born to a virgin, walked on water, died and then magically came back to life after a couple of days, too, right?  Wink  Tongue

Yep, same guy.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:05:37 AM »

On what planet does that qualify as bullying? lol

The planet where a grown man calls teenagers 'pansy-ass'.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies