Dan Savage on the Bible (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:00:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Dan Savage on the Bible (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dan Savage on the Bible  (Read 10571 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« on: April 29, 2012, 11:38:32 AM »

Jeez, Christians get so sensitive when the bullsh**t in their 'sacred document' is called out.
Compared to Muslims- for example- who take to murder when it happens to their document?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 02:46:04 PM »

Scott is right- I am for gay marriage and against discrimination against gays- my problem is not his point but the fact that he is aiming to divide...and also bullies students when he aims to prevent bullying

Savage hurts his cause more then any other gay rights activist...
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:57:08 PM »

Jeez, Christians get so sensitive when the bullsh**t in their 'sacred document' is called out.
Compared to Muslims- for example- who take to murder when it happens to their document?

Why do we need to compare them at all?  Religious folks are generally insane, but just to varying degrees.
Joe- I think you are a good guy but this attack on religious folks is unwarranted... for one- consider the charity (in money but moreso in action) that Christians worldwide provide. I know you aren't denying this but to call us insane over a peaceful reaction to an offensive comment...
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 06:26:05 AM »

People walked out when he called what was in the Bible about gays 'bullsh-t.' Perhaps we are to presume that these people don't consider what is said about gays bullsh-t particularly as a number of them went straight to Focus on the Family to air their grievances?

So he is right in a way. They are pansyasses for leaving. It happens to me when I've called them out on it. I can stand there and take everything thrown at me, but the moment you fight back they can't take it.
I am more outraged at a 40 year old man calling a specific group of kids "pansyasses" and how it is very contradictory to his anti-bullying message... or is bullying ok when it is directed at those who disagree with him?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:43:59 AM »

People walked out when he called what was in the Bible about gays 'bullsh-t.' Perhaps we are to presume that these people don't consider what is said about gays bullsh-t particularly as a number of them went straight to Focus on the Family to air their grievances?

So he is right in a way. They are pansyasses for leaving. It happens to me when I've called them out on it. I can stand there and take everything thrown at me, but the moment you fight back they can't take it.
I am more outraged at a 40 year old man calling a specific group of kids "pansyasses" and how it is very contradictory to his anti-bullying message... or is bullying ok when it is directed at those who disagree with him?

It was the National High School Journalism conference. If prospective journalists can't listen to something that they disagree with without walking out then yeah, they are pansyasses for walking out of the conference.
Most of the kids are probably under 18 years of age and they are just that- kids. It is ASTOUNDING that you justify the bullying that went on here- it was a deliberate attempt by Savage to isolate a certain group that were there...cussing at first was bad enough, but after the kids left and he used profanity to insult them in front of their peers...that is an abomination and is a VERY CLEAR example of bullying
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:45:23 AM »

And I would add it's more then something they disagree with...it is attacking something they live their lives by as do billions around the world! And it was attacked in a very profane and offensive manner... these kids didn't interrupt or protest- they simply left. Peaceful, quiet, mature- I would be proud if they were my kids for handling it like an adult...more then I could say about Savage
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:02:37 AM »

I've watched the video- and for you or me his original comment would be less offensive but for a 15 year old child? To have a grown man cussing about something you have grown up with? I can see how that would be much more uncomfortable for them...
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 09:16:21 AM »

Picture this for a second...

Instead of Dan Savage, Ann Coulter is invited to speak. She then brings up the issue of gay marriage and says- in front of these students- "the fact that gays want to be able to get married is bullsh**t"... at that point there would be outrage- from you, from the media, from me, from everyone... and then some offended gay or lesbian students walk out because the crowd applauded and they were uncomfortable...and Coulter refers to these gay students in front of their peers as "pansyass"

You would be singing a different tune...
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 09:33:56 AM »

I think there is a difference between a legitimate and respectful point about a literal interpretation of the lines of Leviticus regarding homosexuality and the manner in which he discussed it...it was his blanket assertion of how the Bible gets things wrong and the profanity which offends me and which offnded them most likely
I am paraphrasing when I quote him as saying "The Bible got wrong the easiest moral issue of all time- slavery"... obviously I understand his point, but he is insulting and generalizing the Bible at that point. Once again- place yourslf in the shoes of a 14 year old listening to some one your parents age say these things
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 09:49:16 AM »

I think there is a difference between a legitimate and respectful point about a literal interpretation of the lines of Leviticus regarding homosexuality and the manner in which he discussed it...it was his blanket assertion of how the Bible gets things wrong and the profanity which offends me and which offnded them most likely
I am paraphrasing when I quote him as saying "The Bible got wrong the easiest moral issue of all time- slavery"... obviously I understand his point, but he is insulting and generalizing the Bible at that point. Once again- place yourslf in the shoes of a 14 year old listening to some one your parents age say these things

Let's imagine that homosexuality wasn't the issue of contention. Imagine there were a dozen racial supremacists in the audience who walked out when he said that the Bible got 'slavery wrong'; imagine the catalyst. What would you think of their walkout?
You're talking about a point that is uniformly agreed to be archaic and not applicable. There is significant debate over the homosexuality verses...do I agree with you and Savage that it ought not to be taken literally? YES- but was this the right audience to bring that up- let alone use profanity during it?
You are changing the issue- I will not disagree with the point he is trying to make...I disagree completely with the methods and find them very hypocritical
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 11:26:41 AM »

memphis- I'd be fine obeying those rules if people were consistent! When folks are called bigots for mentioning Sharia law- they are called bigots!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies