IRC Presidential debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:18:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IRC Presidential debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you guys want a Presidential debate via IRC?
Yay

Nay

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: IRC Presidential debate  (Read 4019 times)
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 02:04:02 PM »

I'd support debates in these multiple formats. Having debates on Youtube, for instance, is exactly the kind of change that we need to import activity. Message boards are old hat, they're a thing of the past now. New mediums like through Youtube or perhaps audio-only through Soundcloud would be perfect, and add more realism to this whole thing. One debate in IRC would be interesting too, just to see how well it plays out. Everything should be tested first before debate season, imo.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 04:03:32 PM »

I'd support debates in these multiple formats. Having debates on Youtube, for instance, is exactly the kind of change that we need to import activity. Message boards are old hat, they're a thing of the past now. New mediums like through Youtube or perhaps audio-only through Soundcloud would be perfect, and add more realism to this whole thing. One debate in IRC would be interesting too, just to see how well it plays out. Everything should be tested first before debate season, imo.

Just think about what's done IRL. TV Debate=YouTube. Radio Debate=Soundcloud. Print Debate=Forum. Internet Debate=IRC. There's all those different formats IRL, so it seems logical to apply them here.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »

How about a Skype debate?  I would be available to moderate that also.  I have a recording app with which I could record it, make a few quick cuts in Audacity, and then upload it to Youtube and link it to the Atlas.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 05:04:24 PM »

How about a Skype debate?  I would be available to moderate that also.  I have a recording app with which I could record it, make a few quick cuts in Audacity, and then upload it to Youtube and link it to the Atlas.

Down with this.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 05:11:44 PM »

I'll not be doing a Skype debate.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 05:16:24 PM »

I'll also go ahead and rule out participating in a Skype debate.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 05:16:40 PM »

I'll also go ahead and rule out participating in a Skype debate.

WELP
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 05:30:13 PM »

Ben and Oakvale, would you object to the IRC debate or the Youtube debate?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 05:40:01 PM »

Ben and Oakvale, would you object to the IRC debate or the Youtube debate?

I'm not particularly keen on either, although I'd be open to the IRC debate if we can organise it effectively and post a transcript here.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 06:12:50 PM »

I agree with Oakvale.  No youtube debate, I'm somewhat against IRC.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 06:32:06 PM »

I will be declining as well, sorry. I would prefer a traditional three debate format, hosted on the forum.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 07:06:12 PM »

Can we at least make videos for the lulz? Sad
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2012, 07:16:09 PM »

This is a fine example of why Atlasia is dying. Even a shred of basic change that could rejuvenate activity and provide fun, while giving people a reason to join the game, is turned down for frivolous excuses. I'm no Tweedist, but at least he's taken the initiative to post videos and push for changing the conversation. If we stick to the same format that's been around for so many years, this whole thing will be a distant memory.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2012, 08:07:40 PM by Senator Scott »

I still think video debate responses should be encouraged from those who would be willing to make them.  There is no rule against using those.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 07:24:08 PM »

This is a fine example of why Atlasia is dying. Even a shred of basic change that could rejuvenate activity and provide fun, while giving people a reason to join the game, is turned down for frivolous excuses. I'm no Tweedist, but at least he's taken the initiative to post videos and push for changing the conversation. If we stick to the same format that's been around for so many years, this whole thing will be a distant memory.

Campaigns are free to incorporate whichever methods they find effective. However, declining a video debate or whatever, is not killing the game. Duke is closer to seeing the problem: people are more concerned with who has the biggest grin on the face than the fact that we can't even get people to follow through after we elect them. President Polnut has actually done a good job sticking to doing what he said he would do if elected President, but his legacy almost hinges as much on what follows him than what he accomplishes. This election gives us many choices, but I don't think having more videos than the next guy or popping up in the IRC chat a lot means much from a game perspective.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 07:58:33 PM »

I agree with Napoleon - this is nonsense. Atlasia's "dying" because of some mild disagreement upon the proposed media for a couple of debates?

There's no reason that campaigns can't make their own videos if they so wish, but holding debates in text form on this board has worked just fine for as long as the game's existed, and I don't see any particular reason to change that.

To re-iterate, I'd possibly agree to an IRC debate if the other candidates were willing and a transcript would be posted on here, but I'm not going to be phoning people on Skype or making grainy Youtube videos.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 08:04:16 PM »

I would do an IRC- or a skype
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2012, 09:37:07 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2012, 09:42:33 PM by Senator Seatown »

Really guys. Almost every candidates lives in EST and refused the irc debate. It's quite sad.
I know this isn't the actual problem, but it reflects the actual problem: people don't want to change Atlasia but want it to slowly die instead. Theoretically Atlasia should be constantly growing since there are more new users registered each election cycle, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. The main reason people want an IRC debate is because it's interactive and IRC is fun for most people who visit the Atlas.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2012, 11:04:35 PM »

How's this proposal?

Second week of May - informal IRC Q&A with some or all candidates, open to the public.

Fourth week of May - first formal debate, held on the forum.

First week of June - second formal debate.

Couple of days before the election - third and final formal debate.

Sound good-ish? Smiley
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2012, 11:37:17 PM »

How's this proposal?

Second week of May - informal IRC Q&A with some or all candidates, open to the public.

Sound good-ish? Smiley

That is basically what Clarence and I thought as well.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2012, 11:57:54 PM »

How's this proposal?

Sound good-ish? Smiley

That is basically what Clarence and I thought as well.

Great! Smiley

I do think an informal IRC Q&A would be an interesting idea, and I'd certainly take part - it's just that a formal debate over that format would be quite tricky, IMO.

A Q&A session would also let regular users ask questions as opposed to the moderator.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2012, 12:07:14 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2012, 12:11:28 AM by Rep Pyrofox »

Really guys. Almost every candidates lives in EST and refused the irc debate. It's quite sad.
I know this isn't the actual problem, but it reflects the actual problem: people don't want to change Atlasia but want it to slowly die instead. Theoretically Atlasia should be constantly growing since there are more new users registered each election cycle, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. The main reason people want an IRC debate is because it's interactive and IRC is fun for most people who visit the Atlas.

Yes, this is the point I was trying to make, though clearly my wording was misunderstood. I'm in no way arguing that refusing to take part in a modern debate means you want Atlasia to die, nor that the absence of such a debate would directly contribute to Atlasia's "death", but that everyone cooperating in such a thing could lead to increased game activity and attract new users to the forum, thus lengthening its lifespan. The fact that most people are against these small changes is sad, indeed, simply because of their potential to make this process more interesting.

Now to quickly address a couple of these points made against my idea. I for one, do not believe that holding a video debate would lead to people getting elected simply because of their visual appeal or performance in that one debate. I'd like to believe that very few of us are dim-witted enough to vote for a candidate based solely on his or her appearance, and being 'politicos', we need substance, and that would only be added through video. I would never think less of a candidate if they didn't participate in a video debate, nor one with IRC. I guarantee you the polls would display the same results they do now. Also, I disagree sharply with the sentiment "it's worked fine this long, so..", but I am a leftist, after all.

Oakvale, I would propose the addition of one Youtube debate (if only candidates expressing their own ambitions) and one IRC debate to that calender, both being completely optional and open to public view and scrutiny. It is only an experiment, and might just fail, but I'm sure many of us would like to see this play out. Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2012, 12:21:20 AM »

As someone who's (probably a little paranoid, sure, but...) never posted a photo and is pretty sure maybe one or two people here know my real name I wouldn't feel that comfortable doing a Youtube video, to be totally honest. Tongue

Certainly I appreciate your sincerity, and it might indeed be an interesting idea, but I'm afraid I'd have to sit that one out if it does happen. Smiley
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2012, 12:42:15 AM »

As someone who's (probably a little paranoid, sure, but...) never posted a photo and is pretty sure maybe one or two people here know my real name I wouldn't feel that comfortable doing a Youtube video, to be totally honest. Tongue

Certainly I appreciate your sincerity, and it might indeed be an interesting idea, but I'm afraid I'd have to sit that one out if it does happen. Smiley

Absolutely understandable if you're concerned about privacy.
That's why I would stress it being optional. :>
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies