IRC Presidential debate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:47:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IRC Presidential debate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you guys want a Presidential debate via IRC?
Yay

Nay

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: IRC Presidential debate  (Read 4107 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« on: April 30, 2012, 05:30:54 PM »

No, I hate IRC. I will only participate in forum debates so that all Atlasians can participate. Real time doesn't work for a game where we are all in different time zones, especially our non-American posters.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »

Senator Clarence and I have been discussing presidential debates however and agree that one in May and two in June would serve the voting public adequately.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »

Senator Clarence and I have been discussing presidential debates however and agree that one in May and two in June would serve the voting public adequately.

One in early May, one in mid-but-not-quite-late May, one in very early June (like the 2nd) and then one about 3 days before the election sounds decent, no?

I think only the last three would be valuable, but I might be up to some other kind of presidential candidate event within the next two weeks.

I'm not saying that it would be the only debate, we could hold several so that posters & candidate from every timezone have a chance to view a live debate. Also the transcripts would be posted here.

Then why not just host it here in the first place? Wink
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 06:32:06 PM »

I will be declining as well, sorry. I would prefer a traditional three debate format, hosted on the forum.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 07:24:08 PM »

This is a fine example of why Atlasia is dying. Even a shred of basic change that could rejuvenate activity and provide fun, while giving people a reason to join the game, is turned down for frivolous excuses. I'm no Tweedist, but at least he's taken the initiative to post videos and push for changing the conversation. If we stick to the same format that's been around for so many years, this whole thing will be a distant memory.

Campaigns are free to incorporate whichever methods they find effective. However, declining a video debate or whatever, is not killing the game. Duke is closer to seeing the problem: people are more concerned with who has the biggest grin on the face than the fact that we can't even get people to follow through after we elect them. President Polnut has actually done a good job sticking to doing what he said he would do if elected President, but his legacy almost hinges as much on what follows him than what he accomplishes. This election gives us many choices, but I don't think having more videos than the next guy or popping up in the IRC chat a lot means much from a game perspective.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 11:37:17 PM »

How's this proposal?

Second week of May - informal IRC Q&A with some or all candidates, open to the public.

Fourth week of May - first formal debate, held on the forum.

First week of June - second formal debate.

Couple of days before the election - third and final formal debate.

Sound good-ish? Smiley

That is basically what Clarence and I thought as well.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies