Death Penalty Question (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:17:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Death Penalty Question (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What punishment do you think a convict found guilty of murder, rape, and pedophilia should get?
Republican: Death Penalty

Republican: Life in Prison w/out Parole

Democrat: Death Penalty

Democrat: Life in Prison w/out Parole

independent/third party: Death Penalty

independent/third party: Life in Prison w/out Parole

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 116

Author Topic: Death Penalty Question  (Read 17768 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: May 02, 2012, 01:00:38 AM »

Life in prison.

There should be a chance of parole in most cases, with the exception of crazy mass murderers, like Breivik.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 12:54:05 PM »

The thinking behind it Gramps: Life itself has its value, near unlimited value actually. Putting a condition on that, e.g. not being a murderer, changes the whole concept.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:05:36 AM »

Neither.

There's no "life with parole" option.

Agree entirely.

99% of life sentences should at least have that option. Extreme cases like Breivik being an exception that I think should not necessarily grant that option.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 03:29:03 PM »

With over 100 votes, it's too late to change this poll now, but what I intended to ask was whether you all would still oppose the death penalty if someone were convicted of all three crimes (murder, rape, and pedophilia/child molestation) involving the same victim(s).

Yes.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:35:56 AM »

The Connecticut school shooting can make you question the death penalty but even after it I still have to say no to the death penalty. Of course lucky for us most of the time they kill themselves. Of course I generally keep this opinion to myself since most people I know and in general would be outraged if I said we should not kill the Connecticut school shooter had he lived. I wonder if he had lived if Connecticut would have brought back the death penalty for heinous crimes. I like that Michigan hasn't had the death penalty since 1846, we were way ahead of everyone.

The thing is: People who call themselves opposed to the death penalty and then make exceptions for "extreme" cases aren't in reality opposed to the death penalty.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 10:37:50 AM »

The Connecticut school shooting can make you question the death penalty but even after it I still have to say no to the death penalty. Of course lucky for us most of the time they kill themselves. Of course I generally keep this opinion to myself since most people I know and in general would be outraged if I said we should not kill the Connecticut school shooter had he lived. I wonder if he had lived if Connecticut would have brought back the death penalty for heinous crimes. I like that Michigan hasn't had the death penalty since 1846, we were way ahead of everyone.

The thing is: People who call themselves opposed to the death penalty and then make exceptions for "extreme" cases aren't in reality opposed to the death penalty.

And I personally welcome them to the "correct" side of the question.  Tongue

The barbaric, blood thirsty, reactionary side of the question? Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 11:02:04 AM »

And I personally welcome them to the "correct" side of the question.  Tongue

The barbaric, blood thirsty, reactionary side of the question? Smiley

The death penalty ain't supposed to be soft and warm and fuzzy treatment, Franzl.  

Maybe you really are grumpy... Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 03:37:49 PM »

The point of being against the death penalty is to accept that we aren't going to use it on people who have committed the very worst crimes imaginable. It doesn't make sense to say we need to ban capital punishment and then renege once someone does something we find really horrible.

So yes.

Even the horrific gang-rape-turned-murder in India doesn't faze you? 

There are no "even ...?" scenarios. Either it's right or it's wrong.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies