RL Repass: Romney Dominates in West Virginia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:47:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  RL Repass: Romney Dominates in West Virginia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: RL Repass: Romney Dominates in West Virginia  (Read 5864 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 08:53:54 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised.  He probably intends to turn it into a golf course and spa.
ajb
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 09:26:24 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised.  He probably intends to turn it into a golf course and spa.
I feel a new home state coming on.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 11:34:47 PM »

West Virginia Democrats aren't the brightest canaries in the coalmine.
About the only thing dumber than that they think Manchin is a Democrat is that they think Oliverio is a Democrat. Epic fail.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 12:41:30 PM »

So Romney owns WV but is loosing ground in Kentucky?

He isn't a great match for either and were Clinton President, he would probably loose them both to her.

No. Just no.

For the 100th time, remember the 90's. If Hillary were president 95+% of the antipathy WV has towards Obama for "eastern establisment liberal", etc, would be foisted just as readily on Clinton. As would unease about the economy.

Hillary trouncing Obama in the WV and KY primaries proves zilch about their general election appeal in either state (not unlike Indiana in 08).
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 01:55:28 PM »

He isn't a great match for either and were Clinton President, he would probably loose them both to her.

No. Just no.

For the 100th time, remember the 90's. If Hillary were president 95+% of the antipathy WV has towards Obama for "eastern establisment liberal", etc, would be foisted just as readily on Clinton. As would unease about the economy.

Hillary trouncing Obama in the WV and KY primaries proves zilch about their general election appeal in either state (not unlike Indiana in 08).

Agreed. Hillary never had and never will have the same connection with those types of voters that Bill had. She might have made WV closer, but down there, the perception of the Democratic party floating away in a sea of liberalism is greater than any Democratic nominee can overcome.
ajb
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 05:21:54 PM »

No. Just no.

Agreed. Hillary never had and never will have the same connection with those types of voters that Bill had. She might have made WV closer, but down there, the perception of the Democratic party floating away in a sea of liberalism is greater than any Democratic nominee can overcome.

The one poll of WV in 2008 that seems to have asked the McCain-Clinton question was 47 Clinton-42 McCain. It's entirely plausible that he would have made that deficit up in the general election campaign, and if you want to argue that was the likely outcome, be my guest. But it's clearly not totally outlandish to think she could have won WV.

http://www.pollster.com/polls/wv/08-wv-pres-ge-mvc.php?nr=1
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 06:08:44 PM »

The poll with clinton ahead of mccain in 08 was from FEBRUARY. Hardly reliable. An arg poll (I know, I know) in early october had obama up 8. An insider advantage poll (well, they're not arg) a week later had him down only 2.

It's outlandish to believe clinton would've done more than a point or three better than obama, tops.
ajb
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 06:16:47 PM »

The poll with clinton ahead of mccain in 08 was from FEBRUARY. Hardly reliable. An arg poll (I know, I know) in early october had obama up 8. An insider advantage poll (well, they're not arg) a week later had him down only 2.

It's outlandish to believe clinton would've done more than a point or three better than obama, tops.
That same poll from February had McCain ahead of Obama, 53-35, while the result in November was 56-43.
Let me be clear. I'm not taking any particular stand on how HRC would have done in WV in 2008. But such evidence as we have points to her having been more than a point or three more popular than Obama.
timothyinMD

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 10:49:55 PM »

Obama will be lucky to break 30% in WV this year.  They absolutely hate him there for his war on coal
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 10:52:47 PM »

Obama will be lucky to break 30% in WV this year.  They absolutely hate him there for his war on coal

What war on coal?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 10:53:25 PM »

Lucky to break 30%?  I'm assuming this is a typo...
timothyinMD

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 11:12:09 PM »

no typo.  He'll be lucky to break 30%  and the 25-30% who will vote for him are insane.

His EPA is doing everything it can to destroy the coal industry.  He has said openly his goal is to bankrupt it
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 11:13:07 PM »

His EPA is doing everything it can to destroy the coal industry.  He has said openly his goal is to bankrupt it

He never said that. Ever.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 11:17:28 PM »

He never said that. Ever.

Except he did.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 11:26:08 PM »

That was discredited as a hit piece by The Media designed to hurt him just before the 2008 election.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2012, 11:46:48 PM »

Whatever the case is, I'll bet a free pizza voucher that Obama breaks 30% in West Virginia.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2012, 10:25:37 AM »

What war on coal?

On the Blankenship Empire.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies