American Gold
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:01:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  American Gold
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: American Gold  (Read 12419 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 03:10:57 PM »

Did Shelley campaign as the liberal alternative?  How did Anderson govern?  Or did he not have enough popular support and time in office to do much (a la David Paterson)?  Sorry for all the questions, but one last one: what's John Shell doing?

Great TL man Wink

Shelley was a liberal alternative while Yates was more moderate and perceived as more electable in the general against either Nixon or Reagan. Anderson governed similar to Brown as OTL, but his inept handling of the Inglewood and Berkeley riots in the Spring/Summer of '66 left him in a position similar to Paterson. Mayor Shelley opted out of running for a second term and has opted to retire from politics.

Interesting, but I'm also curious about this Joe Shell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Shell

Once again, I'm looking forward to more of this TL Wink
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 09:08:37 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2012, 10:49:45 PM by Nagas »

The 1968 election began to take shape in early 1967. For the Republicans, it seemed that unless a popular candidate that could unite the various wings of the party came forward, a divisive, or at the very-least: protracted, primary could result. Despite the President's approval rating hovering in the low 40s, it seemed that he would run for reelection, despite the strong headwinds before him and the Democrats.

Senator Wayne Morse, an anti-war advocate who had voted against the Gulf of Tonkin resolution, took it upon himself to seek out an anti-war Democrat to challenge President Johnson in the primary. He first proposed the idea of running to Senator Robert F. Kennedy, who flat out declined his proposal. He then sought out Senator George McGovern of South Dakota, who readily agreed. In September, McGovern declared his candidacy and began barnstorming through New Hampshire and Wisconsin, the first primary states in the Democratic primaries.

Senator McGovern announcing his bid, declaring to run on an anti-Vietnam platform

However, President Johnson's reelection campaign never surfaced. The media would not be informed until after his retirement why he chose to not seek another term.

"I have no doubt that President Johnson, an ambitious man who craved power, would have sought another term if he was able. However, natural forces would conspire against him and prevent him from doing so. On September 29, 1967, Johnson would collapse in the oval office during a meeting with Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara. The stress from Vietnam, the Six Day War, and the prospect from a competitive election coming up was taking its toll on him.

He would confide to McNamara after he  helped him back to his feet, that he "[didn't] think [he] could make it through another term, even with the good graces of God." Johnson would back Vice President Brown, but had him delay the announcement until late January to keep the media guessing. To Brown's disadvantage, Johnson kept him in the dark about his ailing health and intention to not seek another term as well. "
- Robert Caro's The Years of Lyndon Johnson

Nixon mused for several weeks in the early summer of '67 over a presidential run.

In early September, Governor Nixon announced at a press conference that he would not be a candidate for the 1968 election: "I have a state to lead and was elected to serve the fair citizens of California. I cannot abandon my constituents in such a turbulent time."

Other factors were at play behind Nixon's decision to opt out. His handling of the Berkeley riots in April, 1967 was successful; no lives were lost, although shots were fired into the air by the national guard and many students accused the law enforcement of "excessive police brutality." His approval rating sat at 52%; while high, he feared he would be caught in a political boondoggle if another riot were to occur in 1968, under his watch. Nor did he desire to be painted as politically expedient.

The moderate, generally anti-war faction of the Republican party put up two candidates: Governor George Romney of Michigan and Governor Nelson Rockefeller of New York. Romney advocated a quick peace and speedy withdrawal from Vietnam. Rockefeller was more ambiguous on the issue, declaring that a hard-line stance against Communism must be maintained but a conclusion to the war in Vietnam was necessary.

Governor Romney (R-MI) and Governor Rockefeller (R-NY), both decided to run in 1968.

Taking up the banner for the pro-war faction of the Republican party, was none other than General Westmoreland, former commander of US military operations in Vietnam.

Westmoreland believed that total victory in the war in Vietnam was a possible outcome.

Westmoreland had been silent since his replacement by General Walt, but in that silence he privately brooded his apprehension against President Johnson. In October, he declared his candidacy and struck out at Johnson with a sharp venom: "The President has opted to choose defeat over victory; communism over democracy; death over life for our dear American soldiers in Vietnam. His refusal to put more men on the ground in Vietnam has created an understaffed and overwhelmed force that loses dozens by the day. His cowardice turned what was a definite victory into a certain and embarrassing defeat. When I was in command, we were winning this war! By electing me as President, we'll win this war expediently and for good!"

National NBC Polling for the Nominations, October 20, 1967
Democrats
President Johnson: 63%
Senator McGovern: 21%
Other/Undecided: 16%

Republicans
General Westmoreland: 29%
Governor Rockefeller: 28%
Governor Romney: 23%
Other/Undecided: 20%
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 09:53:38 PM »

Keep it coming!  Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 09:54:58 PM »

1. Since this is focused on CA, what happened with the 1967 special House race? Was Pete McCloskey elected, or was there a different outcome, say, us getting a Congresswoman Shirley Temple Black?

2. From what I know, Romney was originallyeant to run as "Rockefeller's candidate". As both are openly running against each other from the beginning, has any big dynamic changed?

3. Will any other major GOP candidates step up? Say, John Tower or Jim Rhodes?

Personally, I'd see a Rocky/Agnew, a Romney/Hatfield, or a Tower/Agnew ticket as making fir a quite interesting race. After all, ol' Spiro originally headed the committee to draft Rocky & they were good friends before '68.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 09:56:16 PM »

I really hope to see Barry back in his seat come 1968....
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 10:20:37 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2012, 10:23:05 PM by Nagas »

1. Since this is focused on CA, what happened with the 1967 special House race? Was Pete McCloskey elected, or was there a different outcome, say, us getting a Congresswoman Shirley Temple Black?

2. From what I know, Romney was originallyeant to run as "Rockefeller's candidate". As both are openly running against each other from the beginning, has any big dynamic changed?

3. Will any other major GOP candidates step up? Say, John Tower or Jim Rhodes?

Personally, I'd see a Rocky/Agnew, a Romney/Hatfield, or a Tower/Agnew ticket as making fir a quite interesting race. After all, ol' Spiro originally headed the committee to draft Rocky & they were good friends before '68.

1. McCloskey is reelected. I have plans for him. Smiley The 1968 Senate race will be covered in the middle of primary season.

Also, while I plan to have California and its politicians play a pivotal and central role, I am branching out. California politicians cannot hold the White House indefinitely Tongue (although as alluded to in the original post, a California-borne and/or raised will be present in most elections (if not them, one of their prodigies). I've been flushing out a comprehensive and complicated (if I dare say?) timeline. The outline that I've sketched out (and is susceptible to change) currently reaches out to ~1980 but I plan to go to 2012/2016.

2. I want to create a Republican primary that is the antithesis of OTL. Instead of one front runner that is constantly trying to prevent being dislodged, I want it highly competitive and in the air. Romney is the McCarthy of the primary, wanting a quick end to the war, while Rockefeller is more pragmatic about the whole thing. They each represent their own spheres of the moderate/liberal wing.

3. I've been debating Tower. Rhodes will definitely be present as a favorite son.

I have an interesting 1968 election planned out; I think it will be enjoyable. Smiley

Barry Goldwater? He is still the Senior Senator for Arizona. Senator Elson is the Junior Senator.

And thank you both for your questions/interests! And good luck and good writing on your respective TLs!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2012, 12:34:09 AM »

Barry Goldwater? He is still the Senior Senator for Arizona. Senator Elson is the Junior Senator.

And thank you both for your questions/interests! And good luck and good writing on your respective TLs!

Oh, I thought as per OTL Barry decided not to run for re-election.  Also, thanks man, you too!  Wink
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2012, 06:38:01 PM »

General Election Polling: October, 1967

Legend
Dark Red: Strong Democrat
Pink: Leans Democrat
Grey: Toss-Up
Light Blue: Leans Republican
Dark Blue: Strong Republican

Governor Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY) v President Lyndon Johnson (D-TX)

PV: 44 - 41
EV: 238 - 123

General William Westmoreland (R-SC) v President Lyndon Johnson (D-TX)

PV: 43 - 43
EV:196 - 180
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2012, 08:10:59 PM »

Rocky isn't winning his home state?  Also, is there any remote possibility of a political comeback for Barry?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 03:10:04 AM »

Throughout the winter of 1967/1968, Communist forces had been traveling the Ho Chi Minh trail and shoring up their reserves throughout South Vietnam. Intelligence gathered suggested that a large move was immanent, although the specifics were not clear.

General Walt maintained most troops deployments throughout South Vietnam, despite evidence that there may be strikes against high priority targets. He believed that the North Vietnamese would attempt to recapture the countryside, which was slowly shifting toward the Allies, and did not have the organizational capacity to strike against multiple high priority targets with a large amount of force.

On January 30, 1968, during a declared ceasefire, the Viet Cong attacked. Hardest hit was Saigon, where a last minute decision by the Allies to not redeploy battalions from the Cambodian border to Saigon proved to be a destructive error. Many portions of the city lay occupied by the end of the day on January 31. Half of the US Embassay was destroyed and was occupied for most of the day. It was not until the evening when Marines were landed on the roof and retook the building. Twelve civilian Americans were killed in the attack.

Allied forces were rallied by General Walt quickly thereafter. All orders of leave were temporarily suspended and troops were redeployed from the countryside to urban areas and high priority locations. The attack, which would be dubbed the Tet Offensive in the media, was technically a failure for the Viet Cong: despite taking some of their objectives for a few days, all land that they gained was lost within a week. Their causalities were significantly higher than allied forces.  However, it broke American morale at home. The Embassy, a symbol of American power and sovereign soil, had been breached, occupied, and desecrated by an invading force. The progress that it seemed that General Walt was making, seemed to amass for nothing. Despite the fact that the rate of Americans dying was half of his predecessor, the fact that the Viet Cong were able to amass such a force shattered the will of many to continue the war.

Public support for the war fell through the floor. Johnson's approval rating stood at a measly 40%. On February 8, President Johnson announced in a national address: "I shall not seek, and I will not accept, the nomination of my party for another term as your president."

Four days later, at a press conference in Griffith Park overlooking Los Angeles, Vice President Brown announced his intention to run for President of the United States.  Despite calls by Democrats for Senator Robert Kennedy to run for the now seemingly wide open nomination, he would dash all hopes two days later, where he would appear at a rally in New York City endorsing his friend and political ally. Many establishment Democrats, including Mayor Richard Daley, quickly backed the Vice President, hoping to coalesce support and prevent a bitter primary that could expose the widening cracks in the New Deal Coalition that had sprung from the Vietnam War.

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 09:19:32 AM »

Brown 68 means Reagan 76!
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »

1968 Primaries

Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2012, 11:30:41 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2012, 01:48:55 AM by Nagas »

Senator McGovern barnstormed through New Hampshire in the weeks preceding the Democratic primary. McGovern would frequently be met with large crowds of enthusiastic supporters upon visiting various college towns. The youth resonated with McGovern and for good reason: he promised to sign peace with North Vietnam within six months of taking office and ending the draft. His supporters would frequently shout at rallies "Forge peace with George!"

The Vice President largely ignored the nation's first primary, instead opting to solidify his support with various labor groups and party leaders, especially those in non-primary states. The bulk of real delegates in the Democratic nomination weren't available through primaries, but were controlled by various party bosses such as Mayor Daley. McGovern's chances of corralling these delegates was next to nil. His hope was to win enough delegates and support in the primaries to force Brown to accept an anti-war plank to the party platform, or by some miracle, hold him under 50% of the delegates.

General Westmoreland made few visits to New Hampshire, largely due to the fact that Rockefeller was likely to win and he himself was a poor fit for the state's more dovish stance on Vietnam. Instead, Romney and Rockefeller campaigned throughout the state. Rockefeller's small lead in the polls was canceled out when Senator Peterson endorsed Romney, accusing Rockefeller of being "too dodgy on his position of withdrawal in Vietnam. He isn't being pragmatic; he's being opportunistic to win over voters!"

New Hampshire Primary

Democrats

Vice President Edmund Brown (D-CA): 26,120, 48.4%
Senator George McGovern (D-SD): 25,663, 47.6%
Others (including President Johnson, Senator Robert Kennedy): 2,117, 4%

Republicans

Governor Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY): 32,220, 36.9%
Governor George Romney (R-MI): 30,715, 35.2%
General William Westmoreland (R-SC): 21,313, 24.4%
Others: 3,102, 3.5%

The New Hampshire Primary was a night of suspense for both parties. The Democratic primary was uncalled by the media until midnight, when Concord precincts came in heavily to clinch it for Brown. Senator McGovern had come within one percentage point of defeating an entrenched incumbent Vice President, which was viewed as a victory by his supporters.

McGovern speaking at his press conference as precincts stood at 60.1%, the race still undecided.

"We still don't know who won tonight's vote in the primary, but we do know that the forces of peace have scored a victory regardless tonight. The voters of New Hampshire have sent a clear message that they are not lockstep with maintaining this administration's quagmire in Vietnam. America is waking up and realizing that this war has no profit and only costs us dollars and lives by the day. We have shown that we can go head-to-head with the establishment and shake them to their foundations! We have the momentum now! Onto Wisconsin! Onto Chicago!"

Vice President Brown, looking to downplay the near upset, congratulated McGovern on his impressive performance, but surreptitiously and quickly booked some campaign events throughout Wisconsin. Polling in the subsequent days showed McGovern leading 59-38%.

For the Republicans, the race was called earlier but still remained tight. Rockefeller's win put the brakes on the surge Romney had received from Senator Peterson's endorsement. The boost Romney had received was partly undone by his performance on the campaign trail: Romney would frequently become inarticulate or make small gaffes. On March 10 in Portsmouth, he announced that "withdrawal from Vietnam would be done on American terms and have no set timeline," yet six hours later in Dover he declared that "withdrawal of all American forces will be done within a year." Still, despite the narrow loss, Romney was leading Westmoreland and Rockefeller in Wisconsin polling.

The other "winner" was General Westmoreland. Despite polling in the mid-teens all of February, he ended up with nearly a quarter of the vote.

"The fact that I was under-polled in New Hampshire is clear evidence that support for the war in Vietnam is still present among many Americans. They want us to win, and with God as my witness, if I'm in charge, that's what we're going to do." - Westmoreland, speaking in an interview on March 13.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2012, 12:01:52 PM »

Keep it coming!
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2012, 11:24:07 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »

I am excited to see the results for the rest of the primaries. Also, what is George Wallace up too?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 04:30:20 PM »

As I recall, NH was actually pretty pro-war. What McCarthy did was do very well in turnout.

Also, will Dr. Hunter S. Thompson be weighing in with his perspective on the election? Wink 
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 05:37:37 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2012, 05:40:39 PM by Nagas »

As I recall, NH was actually pretty pro-war. What McCarthy did was do very well in turnout.
Well, that would explain Westmoreland's boost. Wink McGovern was an effective campaigner in NH, whereas Rocky benefited from a regional effect and Romney from Senator Peterson.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

After reading your TL I do plan to have him make an appearance, although I'm not sure about 1968. Smiley Probably 1972 or 1976.

I am excited to see the results for the rest of the primaries. Also, what is George Wallace up too?

The next update will answer your question. Wink Wisconsin will probably come with that update too.

Also, does anybody happen to have a blank map of all the counties in the United States? I'll be producing a national county map for the primaries at their conclusion (15 primaries makes it easy).
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 01:29:43 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2012, 01:34:10 AM by Nagas »

March 17, 1968

The 1968 Campaign took a massive twist when former Alabama Governor George C. Wallace announced his third party bid on the American Independence Party ticket. Many factors were at play behind Wallace's bid: he wanted to maintain segregation in the South and put an end to federal busing. Wallace desired a return to what he called "law and order" throughout the United States and a set time table on Vietnam. The lack of an apparent strong social conservative  present in the race was another factor that pulled Wallace in.

He knew that his chances at the Presidency were a long shot at best, but an overall victory was not his goal. Instead, he looked to Storm Thurmond's candidacy against Truman and Dewey 20 years prior: if he could take enough electoral votes to keep the Republicans and Democrats below 270, he could play kingmaker. By negotiating with the candidates, he could agree to tell his electors to side with a candidate in exchange for the end of federal busing and intervention in the South.

Wallace would find himself popular among younger, white men throughout the country. To his pleasant surprise, his rhetoric would be effective even outside of the South; lower and middle-class whites across the nation would take interest in Wallace's candidacy. He was a formidable foe, attractive to constituencies in both parties.

Wallace announced his bid at the University of Alabama; at the same spot where he "Stood in the Schoolhouse Door."

"Almost five years ago, I stood here in defiance of the massive federal overreach to integrate our schools by force. Today, the federal government's malignant influence is at its worst yet. It tramples over state's rights and takes the powers of choice and responsibility away from the individual. No more! It's time to get the federal government out of our states' education systems and out of our cities! We must return power to the states!

Why did I not run as a Democrat you may ask? Because you can take all the Democratic candidates for President and all the Republican candidates for President. Put them in a sack and shake them up. Take the first one that falls out, grab him by the nape of the neck, and put him right back in the sack. Because there is not a dime's worth of difference in any of them!

Both parties refuse to acknowledge what's needed most in our country: law and order in our cities! The working man cannot walk to work in safety, nor his wife ride the transit system nor go to the supermarket. Nor can you walk in the neighborhood because these anarchists they kowtow to--both national parties, the members of both national parties--and the National Democrats and the National Republicans have their sails up to encourage the movement that dominates in our cities and makes it unsafe to walk on our streets. As President, I will not let this continue for another day!"
-excerpts from Wallace's announcement

Wisconsin Primary

In the last weeks of March, Vice President Brown found himself in Milwaukee and its suburbs, hoping to drive up one of his strongest constituencies: urban voters. He was handicapped on the Vietnam issue; due to Johnson, he could not come out explicitly with in favor of a peace plan. He did not want to risk angering Johnson and having him turn the party machinery to one of his more loyal supporters.

Senator McGovern was boosted with the endorsement and subsequent campaigning of Senator Eugene McCarthy, one of Johnson's harshest critics and an ardent dove on Vietnam.

McCarthy would be one of McGovern's strongest surrogates on the campaign trail.

"Vice President Brown will only continue President Johnson's failed policy of violence and aggrandizement in the Vietnam War! The clear choice is Senator McGovern, who will end this was expediently and honorably! Forge peace with George!" McCarthy stumping for McGovern in Madison

Governor Romney held a 15 point lead on Rockefeller in the days following the New Hampshire primary, but again, small gaffes on the campaign trail seemed to eat away at his lead. To add to his woes, General Westmoreland campaigned vigorously and was endorsed by Governor Knowles, a former lieutenant in the Navy. Stories of Rockefeller's adultery began floating around local newspapers again; Rockefeller would accuse Westmoreland of underhanded campaigning. He would deny all allegations. Heading into the polls, Romney held a tenuous lead in the Badger State.

Democrats

Vice President Edmund Brown (D-CA) 325,169 - 44.9%
Senator George McGovern (D-SD) - 387,268 - 53.4%
Others - 12,568, 1.7%

Republicans

Governor Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY): 162,536, 27.1%
Governor George Romney (R-MI): 207,650, 34.7%
General William Westmoreland (R-SC): 196,987, 32.9%
Others (incl Harold Stassen): 31,230, 6.3%

McGovern's victory in Wisconsin was a blow to Brown's campaign. He needed the victory to remain a contender and his prayers seemed to have been answered. McCarthy was credited with helping counterbalance Brown's campaigning in the state. Despite racking up a large lead in Milwaukee County, McGovern canceled it out with strong victories in many rural parts of the state, often exceeding 60% of the vote in them.

A triumphant McGovern basking in his victory with his supporters.

"The people of Wisconsin have spoken and sent a strong message to the President tonight! Are you listening President Johnson? Vice President Brown? Our voters want our soldiers to come safely home and peace to come to Vietnam! It's time to stop spending money ruining life in Vietnam and start spending that money on improving life at home. We shall continue to forge forward! Thank you Wisconsin, and God Bless America!"

McGovern's victory was more than an annoyance for the Brown campaign. If he scored more victories, he could prove divisive at the convention at a time where unity needed to be preserved. The hawks and doves could not become more antagonistic as Wallace made gains among Southern Democrats and labor workers. Brown would meet with Labor leaders in Pennsylvania to organize support; he could not afford another big loss, especially one in a swing state. He also planned with his campaign to organize loyal surrogates in several primary states; a popular Governor or Senator who could win and pledge his support to Brown at the convention.

On paper, Romney had won in Wisconsin; under Wisconsin's winner-take-all system all of the delegates were his, but the real winner had been General Westmoreland. Not only had he clearly come out ahead of Governor Rockefeller, he came close to defeating Governor Romney in a state neighboring Michigan. Granted, drudging up Rockefeller's adultery to stir up social conservative resentment, Governor Romney's frequent gaffes, and Governor Knowles's endorsement all aided Westmoreland in his near-upset. But that provided the spark for his campaign.

To Republicans, he now appeared as a viable candidate that could not only compete in the general, but one that could potentially win the war in Vietnam. He seemed like less of an ambitious MacArthur figure and more like a noble patriot. He catered so well to those who wanted to see American prestige persevered; to many Americans, a loss on the international stage would be unforgivable and a clear victory for the forces of communism.
-Lewis Gould's 1968: The Election that Changed America

Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2012, 07:42:33 PM »

On April 4, 1968, an assassination attempt was made on Martin Luther King. Jr in Memphis, Tennessee. By a stroke of luck, the assassin's bullet missed his head and only hit his left shoulder. He was helped back up to his feet by Jesse Jackson and rushed to St. Joseph's hospital, where the bullet was removed and wound patched without complication. A small riot broke out in Washington D.C, which prompted King to hold a press conference the next day.

In defiance of his would-be assassin, King gave a speech the next day

"Yesterday, an unknown attacker attempted to take my life in an act of violence. I do not know what motivated his heinous act, but I know that I still stand here today in defiance of his actions. The quest for civil rights is not yet over, and we shall continue to persevere through non-violent protest and action. I urge my fellow Negroes in Washington and throughout this great nation to refrain from resorting to senseless violence that can only serve to undermine our noble cause for liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I have not been intimidated by this attack; it has only made me a more ardent supporter for our cause!"

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2012, 09:07:55 PM »

Not surprised at the victories. Romney & McGovern both have the regional advantage, especially with McCarthy's endorsement of McGovern (and McGovern won it four years later in RL after all).
Vote UKIP!
MasterSanders
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 08:09:06 PM »

Could we see MLK in elected office?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2012, 02:20:28 PM »

Is it just me, or is there a lot of variation on where MLK was politically?  His niece (the most knowledgable source I've found yet) claims he was an economic and cultural conservative, but a social progressive.  I'm assuming that means he's a libertarian.  But which party would he be in?  His was a registered republican until JFK got MLK Jr out of prison.  So does anyone know how MLK voted?  (I'm almost positive MLK was in a commercial for LBJ in 64)
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2012, 12:32:43 PM »

Is it just me, or is there a lot of variation on where MLK was politically?  His niece (the most knowledgable source I've found yet) claims he was an economic and cultural conservative, but a social progressive.  I'm assuming that means he's a libertarian.  But which party would he be in?  His was a registered republican until JFK got MLK Jr out of prison.  So does anyone know how MLK voted?  (I'm almost positive MLK was in a commercial for LBJ in 64)

No, the only reason he would have been a Republican was becuase of "de great Liberator"
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »

No, the only reason he would have been a Republican was becuase of "de great Liberator"

Who's that?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies