Elizabeth Warren's "Pocahontas" Problem? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:07:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Elizabeth Warren's "Pocahontas" Problem? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren's "Pocahontas" Problem?  (Read 24659 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: May 03, 2012, 12:10:40 AM »
« edited: May 03, 2012, 12:15:02 AM by Hard-Ons for Elizabeth Warner »

A discussion on Massachusetts isn't complete without it.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 08:58:33 AM »

Is she really making this an issue?

I hope Brown isn't stupid enough to make a big deal about it, because damn this sh*t is stupid.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:10:52 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2012, 10:13:30 AM by Hard Ons About Warner »

Pocohontas Warren's grandpa had high cheekbones!

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/warren-my-grandfather-had-high-cheekbones-all-indians-do_643103.html

Speaking to a reporter on a local news station in Boston, Democratic Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts cited her ancestor's "high cheekbones" (quoting an aunt) as evidence of her Native American heritage:

Earlier today, the Harvard law professor explained that she listed herself as "Native American" on school directories in the past so she could meet others "who are like I am." Genealogists have been unable to verify that Warren is descended from Native Americans, despite her claims.

Lol! Keep digging, lizzy!

You use of course as always the very picture of a credible news source to back up your interpretation of events.

People from Oklahoma having somewhat...odd definitions of what constitutes the American Indian experience is of course completely unremarkable, but it's a little bit of a spectacle since she's running in Massachusetts. Like everything else that was supposed to sink her (or Brown, for that matter) so far this is overblown.

Oh, I must've missed the Weekly Standard part.
God I feel stupid now.

Still though, this is an absurd non-issue that neither side should even touch.  I mean really, who in Mass f***ing cares about NA ancestry?  Want to win votes?  Bring up an immigration document saying your folks were practicing Catholics from County Wexford, not that they were Cherokee.  That would really f*** up Scott Brown.

But yeah, folks here have a very odd definition of "Native American" when it comes to the census here.  Everybody and their grandmother really.  Well except for me, for similar reasons as Wormyguy stated.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 10:30:31 AM »

"High cheekbones, like all the Indians have."

If a Republican in a high-profile Senate race had said this, it'd be all over the national news and there would be a big long thread in which all the liberals, Nathan included, would be yelling about how this is proof of how evil and hateful all Republicans are.  (Not that I like Republicans, but there *is* an *obvious* double standard).

Yeah, that was a bit stupid.

So is culturalist behavior (which I make a point to lampoon at times).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 03:41:38 PM »

Thoughts -

1) This is embarrassing and a stupid gaffe by Warren, who's a far, far overhyped candidate anyway. This is what happens when you run untested academics for high office, though.

2) That said, I can't imagine this changing anyone's vote, or being remember by anyone but the resident freepers come Election Day.

This.

Sums up my thoughts on the matter exactly.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies