SENATE BILL: The Atlasian Mountaintop Removal Ban Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:55:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Atlasian Mountaintop Removal Ban Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Atlasian Mountaintop Removal Ban Act (Law'd)  (Read 9234 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: May 05, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »

I think this is a great idea.  Is this truly qualitatively differently from other forms of mining, though?  We should make sure we're not allowing for any gray areas.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:51:47 PM »

Again, I think this idea is great, but I'm looking for at least more of a clarification of the way we will differentiate "regular" mining from "mountaintop removal" mining.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:19:37 PM »

Again, I think this idea is great, but I'm looking for at least more of a clarification of the way we will differentiate "regular" mining from "mountaintop removal" mining.

Regular/underground mining does not involve the stripping of mountaintops from their surfaces and the dumping of toxins into local water as well as radical topographical alterations that make land areas more susceptible to floodings and mudslides.  I thought this was made very clear various times.

Here is a guide on how mountaintop removal is done, for those who still don't understand.

So you're saying there's absolutely no way whatsoever in which the two processes can overlap?  Looking at the original formulation of the bill, for example, "topographical alteration" could be construed very broadly.  Pretty much any mining could be considered an example of topographical alteration.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 10:02:34 PM »

Grin Yup
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies