Is John Bolton a "chickenhawk"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:12:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is John Bolton a "chickenhawk"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is John Bolton a "chickenhawk"?
Yes

No

Narrowly misses the chickenhawk line

Narrowly passes the chickenhawk line

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Is John Bolton a "chickenhawk"?  (Read 3569 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 05, 2012, 09:32:10 PM »

From his wikipedia article....
You must be logged in to read this quote.

He did join the army so he could go to Vietnam, but never ended up going. Yes, of course he is lying, and of course he did really not want to go to Vietnam and angled his way out it. But, since he served in the National Guard, I think it would be unfair to fully classify him as a chickenhawk.

Keep in mind, Ron Paul is in many respects, his opposite. Paul went to war (not in heavy combat), but then again, Paul opposed the war, and did not support it. So, despite my strong disagreements with Bolton on foreign policy, I cannot consider him a chickenhawk in the form of Dick Cheney or Newt Gingrich. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 09:46:56 PM »

Well, Bush knew that TANG and AANG and AWOL would get him out of not serving in Vietnam.
Contrast with Gore who was against Vietnam but enlisted anyways.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 10:29:38 PM »

Narrowly misses because he actually enlisted, but didn't serve.

Ron Paul was a surgeon in Vietnam. Think about what he saw in there.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:31:57 PM »

Narrowly crosses the line into chickenhawk status.  While NG enlistment was widely seen as a way to avoid serving in Vietnam, there were no guarantees of that, unlike today where the NG gets called up so much I see no point in not joining the regular armed forces and getting a guarantee of a steady job so long as you can be called upon to serve.

His comment that by 1970 it was obvious that the Vietnam War was going to be lost because of the politicians shows that either in 1970 he was an idiot of the sort that populates politics internet boards today, or engaging in historical revisionism of the highest order.  Granted, the war was lost because of the politicians, but if Nixon hadn't been caught up in Watergate, I think he would have been able to see to it that the South Vietnamese got the war material and air support they needed.  Possibly even enough that the North would not have tried an invasion.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 09:13:30 PM »

Narrowly crosses the line into chickenhawk status.  While NG enlistment was widely seen as a way to avoid serving in Vietnam, there were no guarantees of that, unlike today where the NG gets called up so much I see no point in not joining the regular armed forces and getting a guarantee of a steady job so long as you can be called upon to serve.

His comment that by 1970 it was obvious that the Vietnam War was going to be lost because of the politicians shows that either in 1970 he was an idiot of the sort that populates politics internet boards today, or engaging in historical revisionism of the highest order.  Granted, the war was lost because of the politicians, but if Nixon hadn't been caught up in Watergate, I think he would have been able to see to it that the South Vietnamese got the war material and air support they needed.  Possibly even enough that the North would not have tried an invasion.
I agree with the first part- we all saw NG and reservists as play soldiers- get to don the utilities and salute but very rarely in danger...he's better then others

On the second part- in 1970 it was VERY clear that support for the war was dropping off a cliff...that was clear with LBJ in 68
Saying only  the politicians were losing us the war is a stretch- but to say the home front not being able to stomach the carnage being a cause is very true. I always credit it to being the first war to be covered so significantly by the media- if NBC had cameras on Omaha Beach you'd get folks rioting back home...there are differences but the media is the root cause here
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 09:15:22 PM »

Narrowly misses because he actually enlisted, but didn't serve.

Ron Paul was a surgeon in Vietnam. Think about what he saw in there.
I believe he only served stateside...a flight surgeon isn't usually a surgeon per se- more along the lines of a general practitioner for those in the service
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies