My take on Zimmerman and the liberal media
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:18:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  My take on Zimmerman and the liberal media
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: My take on Zimmerman and the liberal media  (Read 2502 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2012, 10:42:34 AM »
« edited: May 04, 2012, 10:49:43 AM by Reaganfan »

I've been avoiding two very divisive topics of discussion in America over the last two months or so. These topics are the Treyvon Martin case, and the GOP "War on Women". Also included in this discussion has been an erroneous idea ( http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/lets-just-say-it-the-republicans-are-the-problem/2012/04/27/gIQAxCVUlT_story.html ) that Republicans are the reason why American politics has become so discordant.

The narratives in American politics have been that the Republican Party is so extreme that we conservatives are the reason for the gridlock and political discord in America. This is so blatantly obvious not to be the case and I will go through a number of examples to demonstrate my point.

I'd like to address the Treyvon Martin case. The reactionary attitude of conservatives sometimes comes across pretty hard hitting and certainly politically incorrect. Indeed, a recent poll on political correctness highlights that people who share my mindset represent an overwhelming majority. Indeed, here are the results of recent polling on society and race issues.

Is political correctness in America a serious problem?

Yes: 79%
No: 16%

Is profiling necessary in today’s society?

Yes: 60%
No: 27%

Should there be tougher prosecution for hate crime suspects? A new low: Only 39% believe there should be.

Is society fair and decent?

No: 28%

Are American Muslims treated unfairly?

No: 63%
Yes: 17%

Those are very striking polls. Those polls basically say that the overwhelming majority of Americans agree that political correctness is a problem. This result alone dismisses the unjust charges against George Zimmerman. There was no premeditation, no way this was anything near second-degree murder, and if you always say "the law should win", well...guess what? The law is on George Zimmerman's side.

If you see the shooting as a case of racial profiling, only 27% are with you. If you see this case as unfair, well only 28% are with you. If you think that it was a hate crime (which it was not), then guess what? Only a minority of 39% believe there should even be tougher penalties if it had been.

Now of course, I'm using individual polls which are just samples of the American mindset, but nonetheless, I've proved a pivotal point.

If the media was correct, which they are not (see NBC's edited 911 call of Zimmerman for example of blatant media bias), then even so...only 17-39% of Americans share a similar type of mindset. That's a low number. That's a significant minority of Americans. Yet, the media and liberals want to make it seem as if the entire country feels this way and that the majority of people, in some cases a large majority of people, don't represent the actual mood of the nation when in fact, it's the opposite.

The media and now even the President have made it seem as though George Zimmerman was the bad guy and that it was unjustified, unlawful and unfair. In reality, it looks as though under Florida law it very well may have been justified, it was lawful and if you think society is unfair, only 28% agree with you. That's a losing issue for liberals. But the media makes you think that it's the opposite. If you listen to the media, they make it seem as though 60% think society is unfair when it's actually 60% that think society is fair. See what I mean?

Don't believe the media.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 10:45:46 AM »

jesus christ
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:47:51 AM »

serious dude, take a few writing classes and get a column at NewsMax.  you have what it takes.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 11:26:46 AM »

The media does not tell you what to think: it is not yet powerful enough to do that. What it does, however, is tell you what to think about. Its purpose is not to inform or change minds but to solidify the existing prejudices and preconceptions of its viewers. It is a liberal media if you believe it to be so; it is also a conservative media if you choose to believe that instead.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »

serious dude, take a few writing classes and get a column at NewsMax.  you have what it takes.

I can agree with this. Also this does not belong in this section.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 01:30:42 PM »

So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 01:44:46 PM »

The word "political correctness" may be unpopular, but on most of the issues it has won. Most significantly the collapse of homophobia(hell, recent polls even show a majority of Americans supporting gay marriage), opposition to interracial marriages, opposition to to women defying traditional gender roles(see here:http://www.diversitybestpractices.com/news-articles/allstate-poll-explores-americans-opinions-changing-gender-roles-economy-workplace-and-), etc. Better yet this collapse is most extensive among the youth.

Just compare the society of today to the society of the 1950s.

Most importantly we've won the "on the ground" battle. America is increasingly diverse(the most recently born babies being predominantly nonwhite), marriage rates and church attendance rates are declining and the internet has enabled the rise and freedom of subcultures to a degree unimaginable decades ago.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Source?

Source? This surprises me given recent polls showing majority support for extending hate crime laws to protect homosexuals

Source?

Overwhelming majority also think that the rich should pay higher taxes and that income inequality is a problem. I recall the overwhelming majority favouring a public option, an emphasis on job creation rather then deficit reduction.

Come on mate, nation polls have no relevance to legal judgements by courts. You know this.

The bolded is a particularly stupid assertion. 60%(according to your poll) think society is fair and decent overall. That is hardly a reflection on this particular case. I don't think any sane person on either side of the argument would use the adjective "fair" to describe this case, including you.

I certainly agree with this. Always think for yourself.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 01:55:11 PM »

The media does not tell you what to think: it is not yet powerful enough to do that. What it does, however, is tell you what to think about. Its purpose is not to inform or change minds but to solidify the existing prejudices and preconceptions of its viewers. It is a liberal media if you believe it to be so; it is also a conservative media if you choose to believe that instead.
The last sentence is cute; I agree with the remainder except for the "yet". Though a lot of journos try, of course.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 01:59:10 PM »

"Is profiling necessary in today's society?"

Is race implied here?
Rooney
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 02:47:39 PM »

Well written. I applaud your efforts, sir.
perdedor

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 04:33:53 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2012, 10:11:47 PM by perdedor »

Is profiling necessary in today’s society?

No: 27%

Should there be tougher prosecution for hate crime suspects? A new low: Only 39% believe there should be.

Is society fair and decent?

No: 28%

Are American Muslims treated unfairly?

No: 63%
Yes: 17%

Those are very striking polls. Those polls basically say that the overwhelming majority of Americans agree that political correctness is a problem. This result alone dismisses the unjust charges against George Zimmerman. There was no premeditation, no way this was anything near second-degree murder, and if you always say "the law should win", well...guess what? The law is on George Zimmerman's side.

Are you suggesting that our justice system has devolved into angry mob rule? Last I checked, court cases weren't decided democratically. Furthermore, what do any of these out of context polls have to do with Trayvon Martin's murder? Finally:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-04-05/trayvon-martin-poll/54047512/1
Quote from: Restricted

Needless to say, people are heavily divided on this issue. Not that it matters, this being a criminal proceeding and not a Senate seat...
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »

Thanks, I am now thoroughly patronized.

You're right about the "yet" bit, though.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 01:18:17 AM »

We laugh and amuse ourselves at this little "heartland conservative" minstrel show, but it's pretty terrifying that Naso is just one of tens of millions of Americans who, through the education system, the media and cultural institutions, have been systemically brainwashed to think like this.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 01:20:44 AM »

Racism is obviously quite alive and well in America.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 02:37:37 AM »

It's hilarious that people are still responding to Naso 100% seriously. It's 2012 people, you should have figured out his schtick by now.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 05:46:16 AM »

Only if you believe yourself to be so.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 05:47:36 AM »

I'm really fascinated by this concept of a liberal media because... I've never seen one.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 08:21:31 AM »

Good one! Damn, you're clever. Wink
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 08:32:05 AM »

I must say that Naso, you are indeed quite right good sir.

The people hate political correctness, therefore they completely agree about George Zimmerman being wrongfully accused of being a racist by the liberal media.  This has always been the main focus of the wimpy non-masculine conservative media, to paint Zimmerman as a racist.  It was never about the loopholes in Florida law that would allow a watchman to dispatch of a youth with a bag of Skittles in a very questionable manner backed up by said watchman's story which seems to change more everyday than does an alcoholic CPA's marital status!

You hit the nail right on the head.  This is nothing more than a race war attempt by the Obamanation.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 09:26:17 AM »

'Political Correctness' is a term that was created by closet racists.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 06:25:31 PM »

'Political Correctness' is a term that was created by closet racists.

Perhaps, but as we have seen by moderator actions against those on the Left in regard to legitimate criticism of the extremism of Mormon theology, it is very real and it is indeed a two way street.

However, I would argue that this case has a bit more to do with it than race.  IT IS A FACTOR, but not entirely the only one present.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 09:15:40 AM »

We laugh and amuse ourselves at this little "heartland conservative" minstrel show, but it's pretty terrifying that Naso is just one of tens of millions of Americans who, through the education system, the media and cultural institutions, have been systemically brainwashed to think like this.

I refute the claim that I am a racist. Nowhere in this post did I say anything racist.

Do you know how many people I meet and even know well today, who are construction workers, members of the AFL-CIO, live and work in the Cleveland area suburbs and are openly racist? If you think I am racist, you're sorely mistaken. I know people who will bad mouth George Bush, talk about how they're union members and Democrats, and yet the thing that boils there blood more than politics, is discussing black people. I hear things like, "Yeah I wasn't raising my kids in Cleveland, with how bad it's become" or something like, "Don't go to this city anymore, it's gotta really bad if you know what I mean" wink, wink, nod, nod.

Do you know how many Obama voters I know just off the top of my head who openly dislike black people and who openly are against gay marriage? How many Obama voters who agree with Reaganfan on almost every issue but tell me they're Democrats? Yet they will likely vote for Obama again this year.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 08:21:55 PM »

I refute the claim that I am a racist. Nowhere in this post did I say anything racist.

Do you know how many people I meet and even know well today, who are construction workers, members of the AFL-CIO, live and work in the Cleveland area suburbs and are openly racist? If you think I am racist, you're sorely mistaken. I know people who will bad mouth George Bush, talk about how they're union members and Democrats, and yet the thing that boils there blood more than politics, is discussing black people. I hear things like, "Yeah I wasn't raising my kids in Cleveland, with how bad it's become" or something like, "Don't go to this city anymore, it's gotta really bad if you know what I mean" wink, wink, nod, nod.

Do you know how many Obama voters I know just off the top of my head who openly dislike black people and who openly are against gay marriage? How many Obama voters who agree with Reaganfan on almost every issue but tell me they're Democrats? Yet they will likely vote for Obama again this year.

small problem is that a GOP-dominated government would restore us to pre-New Deal legal state of labor relations.  many of the type-people you are discussing understand this on some level and vote (D) because of it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 09:53:10 PM »

Naso, I never said you're racist, that wasn't the point of my post at all. But you should familiarize yourself with the quote, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 10:39:16 PM »

Naso, I never said you're racist, that wasn't the point of my post at all. But you should familiarize yourself with the quote, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

I haven't read Romeo and Juliet since Jr. High, although we did watch the movie.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies