West Hartford gives 100 too many votes to Malloy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:56:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  West Hartford gives 100 too many votes to Malloy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: West Hartford gives 100 too many votes to Malloy?  (Read 1389 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2012, 07:02:33 PM »
« edited: May 09, 2012, 07:05:51 PM by Den stygge kjøkken »

One day into my research project, and what do I find?

Have a look at this results report, specifically precinct 4-1.

http://www.westhartford.org/living_here/town_departments/town_clerk/docs/Nov2_ElectionResults.pdf

The total number of votes in the Gubernatorial race is 1166 (302+780+65+19). But scroll down all the way to the second page, and you'll see that the total number of votes cast ("Total Combined") is 1090. That indicates 76 more votes than voters.

You'll also notice that that precinct, given the suspect results, was the only one to give more votes to Malloy for Governor than Blumenthal for Senate - and by a wide margin.

Now, if you take away 100 votes from Malloy's (Democratic line) total of 780 in that precinct and reduce it to 680, it looks pretty reasonable given the other precinct results. The total number of valid votes would be reduced to 1066, leaving a reasonable margin of 24 invalid or blank.

I called the West Hartford town clerk's office and they're looking into it. Developments to come tomorrow.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »

"Looking into it" lol.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:22:12 PM »

One day into my research project, and what do I find?

Have a look at this results report, specifically precinct 4-1.

http://www.westhartford.org/living_here/town_departments/town_clerk/docs/Nov2_ElectionResults.pdf

The total number of votes in the Gubernatorial race is 1166 (302+780+65+19). But scroll down all the way to the second page, and you'll see that the total number of votes cast ("Total Combined") is 1090. That indicates 76 more votes than voters.

You'll also notice that that precinct, given the suspect results, was the only one to give more votes to Malloy for Governor than Blumenthal for Senate - and by a wide margin.

Now, if you take away 100 votes from Malloy's (Democratic line) total of 780 in that precinct and reduce it to 680, it looks pretty reasonable given the other precinct results. The total number of valid votes would be reduced to 1066, leaving a reasonable margin of 24 invalid or blank.

I called the West Hartford town clerk's office and they're looking into it. Developments to come tomorrow.

Good work.

Please update us on this.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »

Yeah, in my experience, "looking into" these sorts of things actually means "ignoring this or covering our ass, whichever works out best."  That said, good job, and you're probably quite right -- although it's highly unlikely that the official record will ever be corrected.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 09:20:59 PM »

Nice work, sleuth!
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 03:25:36 PM »

West Hartford called me back - it was an error. They're going to file an amended return with the office of the Secretary of the State to fix it.

That's right, thanks to little old Homely, Governor Malloy's vote total in 2010 has been reduced from 567,278 votes to 567,178 votes. It's as if I've just cast -100 votes in an election. Tongue
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 03:50:10 PM »

West Hartford called me back - it was an error. They're going to file an amended return with the office of the Secretary of the State to fix it.

That's right, thanks to little old Homely, Governor Malloy's vote total in 2010 has been reduced from 567,278 votes to 567,178 votes. It's as if I've just cast -100 votes in an election. Tongue

Congratulations!

Errors like this are far more common than publicly admitted.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »

Good for them, and nice job!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »

On a far more blatant and egregious note, the French Ministry of Interior, in publishing the results by municipality for the 1995 presidential election, switched Chirac and Jospin's votes in Lyon - hence the official records now have Jospin winning Lyon 59-41, when he lost it 41-59 to Chirac.

If you continue finding such mistakes, you might elect Foley to the governorship two years after the fact Smiley
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 07:23:44 PM »

On a far more blatant and egregious note, the French Ministry of Interior, in publishing the results by municipality for the 1995 presidential election, switched Chirac and Jospin's votes in Lyon - hence the official records now have Jospin winning Lyon 59-41, when he lost it 41-59 to Chirac.

If you continue finding such mistakes, you might elect Foley to the governorship two years after the fact Smiley

The fallout would be hilarious if it turned out that Foley was in fact the rightful winner of the election.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 07:27:06 PM »

The fallout would be hilarious if it turned out that Foley was in fact the rightful winner of the election.

Has there ever been a case like that?
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 09:27:43 PM »

Holy crap, I found another one!

http://www.glastonbury-ct.gov/modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=4804

Ross Garber's total in the Attorney General GOP primary in Glastonbury's 3rd district has an errant one in front of it: he has 100 extra votes by mistake.

At least this one is a little more obvious.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 11:47:55 PM »

This is awesome, man. After I graduate in December, I'm going to seriously look into grad school to further my poli sci studies so I can do stuff just like this
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies