Tory right blame gay marriage for bad local election results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:47:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Tory right blame gay marriage for bad local election results
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tory right blame gay marriage for bad local election results  (Read 1478 times)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 05, 2012, 04:55:23 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9246515/Bonkers-Lib-Dem-policies-must-be-scrapped-Conservative-MPs-warn-David-Cameron.html

In the wake of the May 3rd Massacre, reactionary Tory MPs have already gathered round to determine just what went wrong. They've found a culprit - it's the fact the gays want to marry!

Well of course! It all makes sense now! Everyone turned out to oust the Tories because they briefly embraced the radical idea that gays should be allowed to call what already exists by a different name and they should be allowed the same visitation rights as heterosexual couples! Faced with the prospect of gay people being allowed to see their partners in the case of a medical emergency, the people of Britain stood up and thought "MY GOD, NO! WE CAN'T LET THIS HAPPEN!". And gay marriage explains why everyone voted Labour too. Because y'know, Labour are vehement opponents of gay rights.

And it had nothing to do with the fact the economy just went back into recession. Nope. Not a single thing. No correlation at all there.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 04:58:54 PM »

The blamed Europe too. We just learn to ignore them.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 05:08:53 PM »

Europe would make slightly more sense given the shift to UKIP, but even so, the shift to Labour was much larger, so I think that should tell you that the economy is a much larger issue to most people.

The Tories are already in danger of losing this reputation for "moderatism" they've gained under Cameron and if they make a rightward shift, it'll be the final nail in the coffin for it.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »

The Tories are already in danger of losing this reputation for "moderatism" they've gained under Cameron and if they make a rightward shift, it'll be the final nail in the coffin for it.

I don't know if that's the case. Does anyone listen to what the fringe Tory right says?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 05:34:57 PM »

I don't know if that's the case. Does anyone listen to what the fringe Tory right says?

If Dave actually wants to remain PM, he will do or he risks making his government just Major Mark II.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 07:15:23 PM »

Semi-related:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2140153/Nadine-Dorries-warns-David-Cameron-Be-warned-Party-bosses-need-46-signatures-ditch-leader-Theyll-Christmas.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

To be fair to her, i'd be fuming as well if a Labour Prime Minister had conducted a government in the way David Cameron has done.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 08:27:29 PM »

Europe would make slightly more sense given the shift to UKIP, but even so, the shift to Labour was much larger, so I think that should tell you that the economy is a much larger issue to most people.

Well aren't UKIP opposed to gay marriage as well? I think the Tory right view their loss of votes to what they see as a break-away Monday Club-style Tory to be why they lost many seats - a splitting of their votes (to a small extent) allowing Labour in. I'm not seeing what's so incomprehensible about their stance, tbh.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 09:03:06 PM »

Well aren't UKIP opposed to gay marriage as well? I think the Tory right view their loss of votes to what they see as a break-away Monday Club-style Tory to be why they lost many seats - a splitting of their votes (to a small extent) allowing Labour in. I'm not seeing what's so incomprehensible about their stance, tbh.

That's part of the reason, but I just don't think they get that voters are genuinely going from Lib and Con to Lab.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 09:31:35 PM »

Well, I hate to play the defender of the Tory right, but from what I've seen the vast majority of Tory loss is to UKIP, and only a minority of it is going from Con > Lab*. Of course, the Liberal's loss can only be described as an exodus to Labour, but I don't imagine those Tories were worrying about this - we had that in 2011, after all.

*What I seen being Yougov crossbreaks and BBC projected changes from 2011 as Con -4 Lab +1 Lib n/c Oth +3 from last year.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »

If Dave actually wants to remain PM, he will do or he risks making his government just Major Mark II.

I'd think Call Me Dave wishes he was Major Mark II; the Tory Right there only had the impact they did because of his precariously small majority - not that they were numerous. Dave has the opposite a - solid majority courtesy of their Liberal collaborators but a substantial - and ever-growing - number of his party being as right-wing.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 06:50:20 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/05/06/david-cameron-backs-down-gay-marriage-appease-backbenchers_n_1488218.html?ref=uk

Yes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies