2010 Religion Census
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:36:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  2010 Religion Census
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2010 Religion Census  (Read 7252 times)
muon2
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 05, 2012, 05:54:45 PM »

The decennial census of religions was released this week. The website shows the participation by county for a number of denominations. There is also a slide show report released to the press.

Adherents as a fraction of the population by county:

Largest religious group by county:

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »

Just as a reminder, this survey counts people in the county they attend religious services, not the county where they live. That explains a bit of the randomness in the first chart, especially for states with smaller counties where plenty of people cross the county line to go to church.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 06:50:08 PM »

Hah, I was really confused for a second when I thought Muon's national lab map signature was the third map for the thread Tongue

Just as a reminder, this survey counts people in the county they attend religious services, not the county where they live. That explains a bit of the randomness in the first chart, especially for states with smaller counties where plenty of people cross the county line to go to church.

I kind of wish the Census Bureau asked about religious affiliation just for the numbers, maps, and trends but it's illegal:

http://www.census.gov/prod/www/religion.htm

You must be logged in to read this quote.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 06:55:51 PM »

The Northwest is so colorful! Cheesy

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 07:48:17 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2012, 08:14:44 PM by Torie »

Thanks for putting this up Mike. This kind of stuff always fascinates me, and I have visited upon Glenmary's work before, and appreciated it.

The percentage of adherents figures look bogus to me. Given for example that about 12%-13% or something of the population is black, then that 1.6% for Black Protestants means that only about 15% or so of the blacks are Protestants. Really?  The Catholic percentage of 38% or so also looks way high. It might be closer to 25%.  Maybe the issue is that "adherents" really means "congregants," and those who claim an affiliation, may not be members of any congregation, and far more Catholics tend to be congregants than blacks. Or something.

Oh, my favorite map which I can't find anymore, was the one where the largest plurality of a religion was put up by county excluding Catholics, which reveals the underbelly of many of the underlying divides in this nation, and its history. Suddenly, upstate NY becomes a Methodist belt (the distant echoes of the Great Awakening which had its epicenter up there to start and was John Wesley driven, with so much heat that part of it broke away and fueled Mormanism), and you get to see where the Germans settled by the Lutheran belt, and some oddities in West Virginia, and a few holdout Presbyterian counties in PA (I think Altoona in whatever county it is in might be one), and so forth. I even think the Episcopalians show up in Greenwich. Smiley

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »

Thanks for putting this up Mike. This kind of stuff always fascinates me, and I have visited upon Glenmary's work before, and appreciated it.

The percentage of adherents figures look bogus to me. Given for example that about 12%-13% or something of the population is black, then that 1.6% for Black Protestants means that only about 15% or so of the blacks are Protestants. Really?  The Catholic percentage of 38% or so also looks way high. It might be closer to 25%.  Maybe the issue is that "adherents" really means "congregants," and those who claim an affiliation, may not be members of any congregation, and far more Catholics tend to be congregants than blacks. Or something.

The first map is a little misleading if you automatically assume those not claimed by a religious group are not religious. For example a lot of Appalachia is not claimed by a religous group, whereas Los Angeles County has a very high participation rate. It's mainly due to Catholic knowing very well how many participants they have, whereas in parts of the country where there are a lot of random small churches, they might not be getting counted in this survey.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 08:13:03 PM »

It is all so complex. For example, I self describe myself as a "WASP."  Smiley
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 08:17:07 PM »

The percentage of adherents figures look bogus to me. Given for example that about 12%-13% or something of the population is black, then that 1.6% for Black Protestants means that only about 15% or so of the blacks are Protestants. Really?  The Catholic percentage of 38% or so also looks way high. It might be closer to 25%.  Maybe the issue is that "adherents" really means "congregants," and those who claim an affiliation, may not be members of any congregation, and far more Catholics tend to be congregants than blacks. Or something.

Oh, my favorite map which I can't find anymore, was the one where the largest plurality of a religion was put up by county excluding Catholics, which reveals the underbelly of many of the underlying divides in this nation, and its history. Suddenly, upstate NY becomes a Methodist belt (the distant echoes of the Great Awakening which had its epicenter up there to start and was John Wesley driven, with so much heat that part of it broke away and fueled Mormanism), and you get to see where the Germans settled by the Lutheran belt, and some oddities in West Virginia, and a few holdout Presbyterian counties in PA (I think Altoona in whatever county it is in might be one), and so forth. I even think the Episcopalians show up in Greenwich. Smiley

This might be the one you were looking for. Smiley

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »

Good to see that the Lutherans remain the largest denomination in Newberry County, South Carolina.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 08:22:18 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2012, 08:34:22 PM by Torie »

Thanks so much Mike. Is that the updated map, or the old one I could not find?

Utah is clearly screwed up by the way.  Assuming LDS is "other," "other" should surely capture the whole state, along with much more of SE Idaho. Or maybe the LDS are viewed by Glenmary as "non adherents" to any religion. Tongue  Or maybe it is just a Protestant map. I guess that is it isn't it?  Indeed it is. It would have helped to look at the label of the chart!  Tongue
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 08:51:25 PM »

Utah is clearly screwed up by the way.  Assuming LDS is "other," "other" should surely capture the whole state, along with much more of SE Idaho. Or maybe the LDS are viewed by Glenmary as "non adherents" to any religion. Tongue  Or maybe it is just a Protestant map. I guess that is it isn't it?  Indeed it is. It would have helped to look at the label of the chart!  Tongue

Indeed, if you'd look at the second map in the OP, you'd see that the LDS distribution is slightly more expansive than you thought.

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »

2010 Protestants, at your service. Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »

The percentage of adherents figures look bogus to me. Given for example that about 12%-13% or something of the population is black, then that 1.6% for Black Protestants means that only about 15% or so of the blacks are Protestants. Really?  The Catholic percentage of 38% or so also looks way high. It might be closer to 25%.  Maybe the issue is that "adherents" really means "congregants," and those who claim an affiliation, may not be members of any congregation, and far more Catholics tend to be congregants than blacks.

From the Powerpoint: "Religion Census 2010 has extensive but incomplete coverage of black protestants.  African American religious bodies have traditionally lacked resources to gather data... Data are most extensive ever aggregated for these groups on the county level, but still incomplete"
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »

Indeed, if you'd look at the second map in the OP, you'd see that the LDS distribution is slightly more expansive than you thought.

This is the breakout of LDS alone.

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 10:00:12 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2012, 10:03:52 PM by All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone »

The percentage of adherents figures look bogus to me. Given for example that about 12%-13% or something of the population is black, then that 1.6% for Black Protestants means that only about 15% or so of the blacks are Protestants. Really?  The Catholic percentage of 38% or so also looks way high. It might be closer to 25%.  Maybe the issue is that "adherents" really means "congregants," and those who claim an affiliation, may not be members of any congregation, and far more Catholics tend to be congregants than blacks. Or something.

BK explained one problem with the methodology, but another is that many churches don't have a formal membership, or they do but people are reluctant to join. Interesting and kind of funny article on this sort of thing with one church here: http://www.christiancentury.org/article/2011-05/dismembership-plan

I find the band reference in the title very amusing, just because it's not something I'd ever expect to see a reference to in the Christian Century.

Keep in mind by the way the Black Protestant bit refers only to blacks that go to specific "black Protestant" churches, blacks that go to churches that aren't predominately black are counted as just evangelical or mainline Protestant.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 10:06:05 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2012, 10:09:10 PM by Bacon King »

Counties with the highest population penetration of some major/notable religious groups:
Baha'i: 5.5% of Marion County, SC (and 10% of total adherents... huh?)
Catholic Church: 100% of Rolette County, ND
Islam: 29% of Emporia City, VA (?)
Mormons: 100.8% of Madison County, ID (lol)
Coptic Orthodox Church: 13.3% of Fairfax City, VA
Conservative Judaism: 7.4% of Fairfax City, VA
Orthodox Judaism: 19.3% of Rockland County, NY
Reform Judaism: 32.6% of Falls Church City, VA
Seventh Day Adventists: 11.4% of Walla Walla County, WA
Southern Baptist: 343.7% of King County, TX (lolol)

Also, some other observations:
  • There are 1,400 Mormon congregations in Salt Lake County, UT.
  • Pentecostal Fire-Baptized Holiness Church is kind of a badass name.
  • My hometown apparently has the country's highest proportion of adherents to the Malankara Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church in North America, which I didn't even know existed. EDIT: and, googling the church's address, StreetView only shows a vacant lot- that I'm pretty sure was still vacant last time I was there. Huh Will have to swing by there next time I'm in the area to see if there's a church there or what.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 10:42:21 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2012, 10:46:09 PM by All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone »

Orange Counties = Freedom Counties

I AM THE 0.1% (in my county)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »

Could "Black Protestant" = AME, while other predominantly African-American congregations in diverse national groups don't count?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 02:50:12 PM »

Could "Black Protestant" = AME, while other predominantly African-American congregations in diverse national groups don't count?

Likely. I doubt Obama's church in Chicago would count for instance and the idea of a Lutheran church being counted as a "black church" seems pretty funny but there are in fact predominately black Lutheran churches in the Twin Cities.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 05:48:44 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2012, 05:50:44 PM by Not Interested In Being VP »

Counties with the highest population penetration of some major/notable religious groups:
Baha'i: 5.5% of Marion County, SC (and 10% of total adherents... huh?)

Apparently the Baha'i managed to evangelize the African-Americans of the area.  They even have a radio station there to spread their gospel. (WLGI - 90.9 FM, Hemingway, SC)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 08:54:22 PM »

Great maps! It would be interesting to see the second map, but with all the Protestant denominations combined.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 11:40:12 AM »

What's wrong with Appalachia?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 12:16:30 PM »

Appalachian churches are often the types that don't keep membership reports.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 11:08:39 PM »

Interesting and great map but I have a few questions:

1. Will the Southern Baptist Convention expand into to South Texas or perhaps into Northern Virginia anytime in the decades to come?

2. Will the LDS make some inroads in Northern Arizona?

3. If Irreligions (Athiests/Agnostics) is really the number one "religious group" that is fast growing, where do you think they'll show up in the map?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 09:53:53 PM »

Interesting and great map but I have a few questions:

1. Will the Southern Baptist Convention expand into to South Texas or perhaps into Northern Virginia anytime in the decades to come?

2. Will the LDS make some inroads in Northern Arizona?

3. If Irreligions (Athiests/Agnostics) is really the number one "religious group" that is fast growing, where do you think they'll show up in the map?

1. In Northern Virginia they probably had big numbers that got diluted by the northern transplants. I don't see northerners likely to conver to the SBC en masse any time soon, so the exact opposite will likely happen, they'll continue to roll back in the state. Ditto with South Texas, just replace "northerners" with "Hispanics"

2. I don't think Mormon transplants will be much faster than northern retirees and typical Sunbelt movers.

3. The maps don't include them.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies