2010 Religion Census (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:31:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2010 Religion Census (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2010 Religion Census  (Read 7294 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:00:12 PM »
« edited: May 05, 2012, 10:03:52 PM by All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone »

The percentage of adherents figures look bogus to me. Given for example that about 12%-13% or something of the population is black, then that 1.6% for Black Protestants means that only about 15% or so of the blacks are Protestants. Really?  The Catholic percentage of 38% or so also looks way high. It might be closer to 25%.  Maybe the issue is that "adherents" really means "congregants," and those who claim an affiliation, may not be members of any congregation, and far more Catholics tend to be congregants than blacks. Or something.

BK explained one problem with the methodology, but another is that many churches don't have a formal membership, or they do but people are reluctant to join. Interesting and kind of funny article on this sort of thing with one church here: http://www.christiancentury.org/article/2011-05/dismembership-plan

I find the band reference in the title very amusing, just because it's not something I'd ever expect to see a reference to in the Christian Century.

Keep in mind by the way the Black Protestant bit refers only to blacks that go to specific "black Protestant" churches, blacks that go to churches that aren't predominately black are counted as just evangelical or mainline Protestant.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 10:42:21 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2012, 10:46:09 PM by All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone »

Orange Counties = Freedom Counties

I AM THE 0.1% (in my county)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 02:50:12 PM »

Could "Black Protestant" = AME, while other predominantly African-American congregations in diverse national groups don't count?

Likely. I doubt Obama's church in Chicago would count for instance and the idea of a Lutheran church being counted as a "black church" seems pretty funny but there are in fact predominately black Lutheran churches in the Twin Cities.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:16:30 PM »

Appalachian churches are often the types that don't keep membership reports.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 09:53:53 PM »

Interesting and great map but I have a few questions:

1. Will the Southern Baptist Convention expand into to South Texas or perhaps into Northern Virginia anytime in the decades to come?

2. Will the LDS make some inroads in Northern Arizona?

3. If Irreligions (Athiests/Agnostics) is really the number one "religious group" that is fast growing, where do you think they'll show up in the map?

1. In Northern Virginia they probably had big numbers that got diluted by the northern transplants. I don't see northerners likely to conver to the SBC en masse any time soon, so the exact opposite will likely happen, they'll continue to roll back in the state. Ditto with South Texas, just replace "northerners" with "Hispanics"

2. I don't think Mormon transplants will be much faster than northern retirees and typical Sunbelt movers.

3. The maps don't include them.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 10:38:51 PM »

Largest religious group by county:

Wow -look at all that blue.  If you took this map literally, you'd think the United States is predominately Catholic with a noticeably large Southern Baptist, Mormon, Methodist, and Evangelical Lutheran minority pockets...

It's colored by plurality which can be quite misleading. Some of those blue counties are probably less than 20% Catholic.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies